Which actors from the Original Series will make surprise cameos in Season 3 of Twin Peaks?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which actors from the Original Series will make surprise cameos in Season 3 of Twin Peaks?

Michael J. Anderson | LMFAP
4%
Robert Bauer | Johnny Horne
7%
Lara Flynn Boyle | Donna Hayward
2%
Ian Buchanan | Dick Tremayne
2%
Joan Chen | Josie Packard
10%
Eric Da Re | Leo Johnson
1%
Mary Jo Deschanel | Eileen Hayward
1%
Lenny von Dohlen | Harold Smith
1%
Heather Graham | Annie Blackburn
27%
Piper Laurie | Catherine Martell
8%
Robyn Lively | Lana Budding Milford
1%
Brenda Mathers | Caroline Earle
No votes
Chris Mulkey | Hank Jennings
2%
Michael Ontkean | Harry Truman
25%
Brett Vadset | Joey Paulson
No votes
Jessica Wallenfels | Harriett Hayward
No votes
Kenneth Welsh | Windom Earle
5%
Kevin Young | Toad
2%
Billy Zane | John Justice Wheeler
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 165
CooperDog

Re: Which actors from the Original Series will make surprise cameos in Season 3 of Twin Peaks?

Post by CooperDog »

Ross wrote:Bauer was seen on location, so he's either in it or his scene(s) were cut. So eventually we'll find out what happened there.
That's why I chose him! :D
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Which actors from the Original Series will make surprise cameos in Season 3 of Twin Peaks?

Post by N. Needleman »

I voted Annie, Eileen and Joan Chen (Josie/Judy?). I'd love to see Piper and Michael Ontkean, but we all have dreams and I think the former three are more likely given what has been done thus far.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Robert Bauer, Mary Jo and Heather Graham (please please)
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Ontkean. I find it plausible that they were able to convince him to do a smaller cameo.

Robert Bauer because he's confirmed.

Other referring to David Bowie. It's actually my genuine suspicion that they did manage to get something with him. Even though it's far from all material they wanted, they will find a way to include whatever they have if they have something.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I totally missed this thread and gave my thoughts in the SHoTP thread, but given the quirk with her character in that book it's highly likely Annie will have a surprise appearance. I'd also like to think Ontkean would be back for a smaller appearance, and I have my hopes up about Keifer Sutherland and/or Chris Isaak.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Would still love to see MJA reprise his role. It's a shame, the entire controversy surrounding his comments. So i don't realy expect to see him. Carnivale was awesome!!

Irene from Haps. That character is one of my favourite small supporting roles in any Lynch film.

And super disappointed there is no Don Davis (Briggs) OR Jack Nance (Pete). And of course Frank Silva (BOB). :(
Ghoul

Post by Ghoul »

Platypus2000 wrote:Would still love to see MJA reprise his role.
Hear hear! One can never get enough of MJA, say I! (Glad I'm not alone in this sentiment :) )

Other than that, Heather Graham (Annie Blackburn), Michael Ontkean (sheriff Harry S. Truman) and Kenneth Welsh (Windom Earle) are all a must! I'll be VERY VERY disappointed if I don't get to see neither of these four - it won't be Twin Peaks for me, I must add..... Hell, compared to these, I almost find even someone as prominent as Sheryl Lee peripheral and pretty much expendable (would trade her for any of the above four, in other words).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ghoul wrote:Other than that, Heather Graham (Annie Blackburn), Michael Ontkean (sheriff Harry S. Truman) and Kenneth Welsh (Windom Earle) are all a must! I'll be VERY VERY disappointed if I don't get to see neither of these four - it won't be Twin Peaks for me, I must add..... Hell, compared to these, I almost find even someone as prominent as Sheryl Lee peripheral and pretty much expendable (would trade her for any of the above four, in other words).
I understand where you're coming from, to some extent. It's certainly difficult for me to imagine how a pushing-50 Sheryl Lee figures into things -- especially given that Laura's tragically eternal youth is kinda the whole point of her character. And the last thing I want to see is "Laura's long-lost identical redhead cousin hits middle age." I've always been kind of on the fence about Maddy, honestly, despite how good Lee is in the role.

But on the other hand, Laura -- and Sheryl -- are SO talismanic to Lynch in terms of his conception of this universe that I would feel slightly uncomfortable with any attempt by DKL to re-enter the town without her. And Sheryl's incredible performances in Episode 8, Episode 14, and of course her tour de force in FWWM, make her a must for me -- not to mention Sheryl's real-world presence as one of the most consistently gracious, generous, and enthusiastic bearers of the TP torch for the past 26 years.

And, on top of all that, I think FWWM only tantalizingly touches the surface of the most intriguing arc (for me) that will presumably be at play in the new season -- Laura's role in Dale's redemption. The two are inexorably linked, two potentially tragic figures who never meet in life, but who carry each other through....whatever lies beyond. To me, that feels like the Lady in the Radiator -- and so many subsequent Lynch "abstractions" -- taken to a beautiful, logical conclusion.

With all that taken into consideration, Lee is certainly more essential than Welsh, and even moreso than Ontkean and Graham.

That being said (and getting back on topic), I think Ontkean and Graham are really the only candidates for surprise cameos. There would be no real reason to withhold anyone else from the released cast list -- no one else packs the punch that would justify making them a big secret (except for Bowie, but I just really doubt that DKL was in Bowie's inner circle to the extent that Bowie would have forewarned him of how dire things were). Let's face it, Joan Chen and Piper Laurie just don't have the cache that they did in 1990 -- there's no reason to hold their names back if they are indeed in the new season, when so many others have been disclosed.

I will certainly miss the MFAP, but MJA has burned his bridges. Anyone holding out hope for him to make an appearance is a conspiracy theorist worthy of TSHoTP Vol 2. ;)
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I know it's just a short bonus feature on a blu-Ray, but I really think between two worlds offers the biggest pointer towards Laura's role in the new series.

The show seems thoroughly done with Earle in a way that isn't quite the case for other returning characters, even dead ones, but that could just be my projection as I don't like him. All these threads just feel like wishful thinking to me anyway though.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Dalai Cooper wrote:I know it's just a short bonus feature on a blu-Ray, but I really think between two worlds offers the biggest pointer towards Laura's role in the new series.
Completely agree. As verbose as my posts tend to be, there's almost always something I forget to say. I meant to note that I think (hope!) that BTW is a tantalizing peek at how Lynch plans to use Sheryl/Laura as well as Leland/Ray.
yogamble

Post by yogamble »

Yeah like I was saying...part of me was just hoping it was some sort of diversion publicity thing to give us all a suprise. Father/daughter rape accusation do kind of tie in to the mytho that is TP... I'm not that invested either way in facebook or other social media drama. Obviously some of you have close ties to the real inside story regarding the actor. Me though just being a fan can't really imagine the black lodge without Mike/TMFAP. Again though..I really didn't mean to stir up any resentments toward the actor and certainly didn't want a flame war. Just thought maybe it is all some Lynchian trick. My mind is very paranoid and I have a very hard time believeing anything I see read or hear especially all things conspiracy.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I was also very disappointed to learn MJA wouldn't be involved and had trouble imagining a Twin Peaks without him, but it's pretty absurd to even entertain a notion that Lynch would take any part in orchestrating a publicity stunt that involved him taking on rape/incest/murder accusations just so the audience can be surprised when LMFAP shows up. There's no point in holding out any hope for a MJA appearance (outside of archive footage). LMFAP may return in some other form as BOB will have to.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

FauxOwl wrote:I was also very disappointed to learn MJA wouldn't be involved and had trouble imagining a Twin Peaks without him, but it's pretty absurd to even entertain a notion that Lynch would take any part in orchestrating a publicity stunt that involved him taking on rape/incest/murder accusations just so the audience can be surprised when LMFAP shows up. There's no point in holding out any hope for a MJA appearance (outside of archive footage). LMFAP may return in some other form as BOB will have to.
Exactly. I'm amazed anyone could think MJA could show up after he accused the co-creator of the show of raping his own daughter!! That's about as far from any kind of misdirection publicity stunt as you can get.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ghoul

Post by Ghoul »

Ross wrote:
FauxOwl wrote:I was also very disappointed to learn MJA wouldn't be involved and had trouble imagining a Twin Peaks without him, but it's pretty absurd to even entertain a notion that Lynch would take any part in orchestrating a publicity stunt that involved him taking on rape/incest/murder accusations just so the audience can be surprised when LMFAP shows up. There's no point in holding out any hope for a MJA appearance (outside of archive footage). LMFAP may return in some other form as BOB will have to.
Exactly. I'm amazed anyone could think MJA could show up after he accused the co-creator of the show of raping his own daughter!! That's about as far from any kind of misdirection publicity stunt as you can get.
Emmm ... The owls are not what they seem, anyone?
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

FauxOwl wrote:LMFAP may return in some other form as BOB will have to.
Anyone else excited for this? If they just cut his scenes (if it's even possible to "just cut" his scenes), big loss. But if they wrote around them in any way that mirrors and reinforces whatever they planned for BOB, I'm hyped! It's like they're forced to reveal something else about the character!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.