Official Thread - TCA Announcement - Twin Peaks on Showtime May 21st

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Rainwater »

mtwentz wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
TvinPiks wrote:I just wish Lynch doesn't overdo it with his esoteric (for lack of a better term) sensibilities. I want Dale Cooper, not Maharishi Mahesh Yogi... Also, I'm more a fan of Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart than of Mulholland Drive (haven't yet seen Lost Highway and Inland Empire, nor am I much eager to see them, going from what I'm hearing, about the latter film in particular).
Yeah, I tend to agree. I love the craziness of LH, but my 'formative' Lynch experiences were the 'middle period:' Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks and Wild at Heart, which have reasonably strong narratives alongside the surrealism.

Mulholland Drive left me cold: it felt like a somewhat mean-spirited ninety-minute pilot with 45 minutes of drivel on the end (apologies to fans – it just doesn't do it for me, but I still respect you if you find something to like in it!) I remember the first ten minutes after the box opened, thinking 'OK, this is strange, but interesting. Oh, well, the plot will pick up in a minute.' Half an hour in, I was fed up and beginning to realise that this nonsense was going to continue until the end of the film. I finished up dissatisfied. Inland Empire was like watching a crack addict's home video. It's ok if you're really drunk, but I can never stay conscious until the end. When I saw the whole film in the cinema with friends, I went to the pub afterwards, but had to stop off on the way to pick up some ibuprofen to take with my beer! ;)

With Mark Frost keeping a tight rein on the plot, hopefully Lynch's great eye for an image and surreal flair will be filtered perfectly by the cinematographer to create televisual gold. I miss middle-period Lynch, with The Straight Story being the last time I saw the Lynch whose work I really like.
My guess is S3 will have a strong narrative, but there will be really weird stream of subconscious stuff wrapped within it.

I agree that the Lynch/Frost combo works better for me- the crisp dialogue of Twin Peaks is matched by no theatrical Lynch film that I am aware of. Although I recognize that all his films are great in their own way, outside of Twin Peaks, only Blue Velvet is something I have watched multiples times (Granted, I've not yet seen Eraserhead, Straight Story, Dune or Inland Empire- all are on my list to see before May 21).
The most important thing to prepare yourself for when going into Inland Empire is that it's ugly as hell. (It's my second favorite Lynch)
I'll see you in the trees
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

To those not crazy about Inland Empire and Mulholland Drive - I'm sorry but I think you're going to be disappointed. That being said, I really want us all to love it.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

It's strange to think there will inevitably be people on this very forum who will hate the new series. I can only hope to find myself in the camp that thinks it's the second coming.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Snailhead wrote:To those not crazy about Inland Empire and Mulholland Drive - I'm sorry but I think you're going to be disappointed. That being said, I really want us all to love it.
I agree. I think it's going to be stylistically and tonally very different from the original show. Definitely more akin to Fire Walk With Me. For instance, it's pretty much a given there will be profanity, and some reports have implied that there is going to be more graphic violence as well.

I just hope there will be as much humour as it can be. 18 hours of dire material in the vein of Fire Walk With Me would be too much. But I have no doubt Frost and Lynch made room for that, with Goaz, Kimmy Robertson, Ferrer, Lynch himself etc.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

I know that people will be waiting for a 20yo Sherilyn Fenn dancing in the diner, coffee, pie and donuts, but something is telling me that the tone will be a lot more serious - kind of like FWWM, like previously mentioned. Still, Frost is on board, so who knows.

I just know that some people will be disappointed because even if attempted, it's impossible to completely capture that fuzzy, warm, early 90's aura that the show had during it's lighter moments. It will be something new and I'm prepared for that.
The cow jumped over the moon.
TvinPiks

Post by TvinPiks »

Just to be clear: I've got NOTHING against seriousness, grimness, morbidity, violence, profanity and grisliness of each and every kind (Blue Velvet had all of that)... It's weird for weird's sake and (quasi)religious, esoteric claptrap that I'm not fond of. Like I said, I want Dale (with all his quirkiness and even a pinch of Tibet), not Maharishi :)
Last edited by TvinPiks on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TvinPiks

Post by TvinPiks »

Also, I was always more enjoying TP''s serious side than its comedic one. Suffice it to say, Andy and Lucy are not my favourite Twin Peaks-ers :)
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

I had zero "quasireligious claptrap" vibes from Lynch's later work, or some significant Maharishi influence. There are some allusions to TM in Inland Empire but the whole film is very abstract and very much open to interpretation. Besides, Lynch has been using TM since Eraserhead; it is not a late-career discovery.

Maybe you should watch both LH and IE before passing judgment? Especially since the visual style of the new episodes might be reminiscent of the former one.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Pöllö wrote:I know that people will be waiting for a 20yo Sherilyn Fenn dancing in the diner, coffee, pie and donuts, but something is telling me that the tone will be a lot more serious - kind of like FWWM, like previously mentioned. Still, Frost is on board, so who knows.

I just know that some people will be disappointed because even if attempted, it's impossible to completely capture that fuzzy, warm, early 90's aura that the show had during it's lighter moments. It will be something new and I'm prepared for that.
I am completely prepared for the fact that I may not like the new Twin Peaks, or maybe only like it marginally.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

I can't imagine David Lynch filming something in the Pacific NW that I won't love. And, for the record, Mulholland Dr is the greatest fucking film ever made. :D
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

It doesn't have to be like the original, does not have to have a 90's atmosphere- but I would love for it to have as good or better dialogue than the original series.

I'm a dialogue guy- most of my favorite movies have that going for them. Glengarry Glen Ross and A Few Good Men being prime examples.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

mtwentz wrote:It doesn't have to be like the original, does not have to have a 90's atmosphere- but I would love for it to have as good or better dialogue than the original series.

I'm a dialogue guy- most of my favorite movies have that going for them. Glengarry Glen Ross and A Few Good Men being prime examples.
THE LEADS ARE WEAK? YOU'RE WEAK!
EwanM
Roadhouse Member

Post by EwanM »

Gabriel wrote:
TvinPiks wrote:I just wish Lynch doesn't overdo it with his esoteric (for lack of a better term) sensibilities. I want Dale Cooper, not Maharishi Mahesh Yogi... Also, I'm more a fan of Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart than of Mulholland Drive (haven't yet seen Lost Highway and Inland Empire, nor am I much eager to see them, going from what I'm hearing, about the latter film in particular).
Yeah, I tend to agree. I love the craziness of LH, but my 'formative' Lynch experiences were the 'middle period:' Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks and Wild at Heart, which have reasonably strong narratives alongside the surrealism.

Mulholland Drive left me cold: it felt like a somewhat mean-spirited ninety-minute pilot with 45 minutes of drivel on the end (apologies to fans – it just doesn't do it for me, but I still respect you if you find something to like in it!) I remember the first ten minutes after the box opened, thinking 'OK, this is strange, but interesting. Oh, well, the plot will pick up in a minute.' Half an hour in, I was fed up and beginning to realise that this nonsense was going to continue until the end of the film. I finished up dissatisfied. Inland Empire was like watching a crack addict's home video. It's ok if you're really drunk, but I can never stay conscious until the end. When I saw the whole film in the cinema with friends, I went to the pub afterwards, but had to stop off on the way to pick up some ibuprofen to take with my beer! ;)

With Mark Frost keeping a tight rein on the plot, hopefully Lynch's great eye for an image and surreal flair will be filtered perfectly by the cinematographer to create televisual gold. I miss middle-period Lynch, with The Straight Story being the last time I saw the Lynch whose work I really like.
What a condescending post. "I still respect you if you find something to like in it." How magnanimous.

FWIW, I thought Mulholland Dr. started off a little patchily, with a few plot strands that led nowhere. There were elements and characters that Lynch may have developed later in the series, if the pilot had been given the green light, that seemed superfluous in the context of the movie. I thought the magnificent audition scene, with Naomi Watts superb - her passionate performance subverting both the creepily paternalistic atmosphere of the audition and the soulless, soapy read-through she'd done with Rita earlier in the film - was the turning point of the movie. After that nothing was the same. The cliched 'ingenue goes to Hollywood' plot was turned on its head and we were in a different world, where the old certainties no longer applied.

I love Inland Empire too. We've heard your opinion that the film is worthless, and your implication that anyone who enjoys it is delusional, countless times. We get the message already. Those of us that enjoy Mulholland Dr., Inland Empire, and Lynch's darker, more surrealistic work do not need your 'respect' or your condescension.

FWWM, Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr. and Inland Empire are my favourite Lynch works, but I love Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and the Lynch-directed episodes of Twin Peaks too. I hope, and expect, the new series to encapsulate a little bit of everything from his career so far: the light, the dark, the kitsch, the comedic, the malevolent, the spiritual, the surreal, the wonderful, and the strange.
TvinPiks

Post by TvinPiks »

djerdap wrote:I had zero "quasireligious claptrap" vibes from Lynch's later work, or some significant Maharishi influence. There are some allusions to TM in Inland Empire but the whole film is very abstract and very much open to interpretation. Besides, Lynch has been using TM since Eraserhead; it is not a late-career discovery.

Maybe you should watch both LH and IE before passing judgment? Especially since the visual style of the new episodes might be reminiscent of the former one.
Maybe I should. I was leaning on general opinion that those two films fall into the same category as MD does.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

All the "good thing Frost is here to keep Lynch grounded" group has read and appreciated TSHOTP, yes? 'cause linear, non-esoteric narrative that wasn't... :o
mtwentz wrote:It doesn't have to be like the original, does not have to have a 90's atmosphere- but I would love for it to have as good or better dialogue than the original series.

Agreed on the dialogue! I'm far from being Peyton and Engels' biggest fan, but damn those two can write some fantastic dialogue. Looking at the pilot through ep2, and then ep8, though, I'm reassured that our duo can fend off for themselves! (whereas Lynch by himself... eeeeeeh not his forte)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.