Official Thread - TCA Announcement - Twin Peaks on Showtime May 21st

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by underthefan »

Hercousin wrote:
underthefan wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:I will predict now that we see some hilarious ragequits on this forum between May and September, I am willing to change my avatar to MJA if proven wrong
I am willing to give away my Entire Mystery Blu Ray and all of my TP books and memorabilia to the public library if you are proven wrong! :lol:

Lol! Please don't. I did this very thing 20 years ago, trying to get over my heartbreak that there was no more Twin Peaks in the world. My library didn't even catalog the stuff, they sold it at their annual book fair. You'll regret it when TP 2042 is coming out, dude.
Haha, I definitely won't, especially since the Entire Mystery is one of my few prized possessions in life! It was more of a joke on the account that I am 100% certain there will be people so disappointed with the new season they are bound to throw a hissy fit and quit watching (or at least say they will) in a huff and puff.

Even though you can count me in as the biggest fan of FWWM/MD/LH/IE films (meaning Lynch's more experimental and impenetrable works), I absolutely understand people who do not like them, or prefer BV/WAH/EM, which are, dare I say, more conventional, with a stricter, linear narrative structure, easier to understand and digest. Simply said, they are more mainstream works (at least as far as Lynch is concerned) and thus will inevitably attract larger audiences.

But considering how long it has been since Lynch dabbled in more conventional works, I have a strong feeling this time around Lynch and Frost will veer more towards the FWWM/MD/LH/IE vibe (in fact, even Frost's book veers in this direction). Which is why I think the fans of the first season who are expecting a return to something similar will be severely disappointed and quitting the show. Not that there won't be humor (especially absurdist humor) involved, but I do expect a more unconventional, experimental tone and non-linear narrative structure. All in all, I fully expect the show to provoke strong reactions in the same vein as FWWM and I wouldn't want it any other way. And I do hope everyone finds something to love and appreciate about it even if it doesn't fulfill their expectations.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

underthefan wrote:
Hercousin wrote:
underthefan wrote: I am willing to give away my Entire Mystery Blu Ray and all of my TP books and memorabilia to the public library if you are proven wrong! :lol:

Lol! Please don't. I did this very thing 20 years ago, trying to get over my heartbreak that there was no more Twin Peaks in the world. My library didn't even catalog the stuff, they sold it at their annual book fair. You'll regret it when TP 2042 is coming out, dude.
Haha, I definitely won't, especially since the Entire Mystery is one of my few prized possessions in life! It was more of a joke on the account that I am 100% certain there will be people so disappointed with the new season they are bound to throw a hissy fit and quit watching (or at least say they will) in a huff and puff.

Even though you can count me in as the biggest fan of FWWM/MD/LH/IE films (meaning Lynch's more experimental and impenetrable works), I absolutely understand people who do not like them, or prefer BV/WAH/EM, which are, dare I say, more conventional, with a stricter, linear narrative structure, easier to understand and digest. Simply said, they are more mainstream works (at least as far as Lynch is concerned) and thus will inevitably attract larger audiences.

But considering how long it has been since Lynch dabbled in more conventional works, I have a strong feeling this time around Lynch and Frost will veer more towards the FWWM/MD/LH/IE vibe (in fact, even Frost's book veers in this direction). Which is why I think the fans of the first season who are expecting a return to something similar will be severely disappointed and quitting the show. Not that there won't be humor (especially absurdist humor) involved, but I do expect a more unconventional, experimental tone and non-linear narrative structure. All in all, I fully expect the show to provoke strong reactions in the same vein as FWWM and I wouldn't want it any other way. And I do hope everyone finds something to love and appreciate about it even if it doesn't fulfill their expectations.
With 18 hours to play with, I don't think it's an 'either' 'or'.

Remember 2001: A Space Odyssey? Very surrealistic, ending open to interpretation, but wrapped inside a very understandable and compelling subplot of man vs. computer/machine that follows a fairly linear narrative.

I can't see 20 hours of one giant dream sequence, but it's a given now that this is the full heroin Lynch and it will likely be darker and more surrealistic than anything in Season 1 and Season 2.

But then again, we're all just speculating- the only ones who know for sure are Lynch and his co-editors. Not sure how clued in Mark Frost is cause you know, Lynch can tend to go off script :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

I guess what "pure heroin version of Lynch" means is that the viewer sits, stunnedly in their chair or on their couch, not able to move throughout the whole thing and maybe even some 30 minutes later, because it totally screws with your brain on so many different levels.

This was exactly how I felt when I watched Inland Empire for the first time.

o_O times a zillion.
Going wtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtflynchyouarecrazy
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

underthefan wrote:But considering how long it has been since Lynch dabbled in more conventional works, I have a strong feeling this time around Lynch and Frost will veer more towards the FWWM/MD/LH/IE vibe (in fact, even Frost's book veers in this direction). Which is why I think the fans of the first season who are expecting a return to something similar will be severely disappointed and quitting the show. Not that there won't be humor (especially absurdist humor) involved, but I do expect a more unconventional, experimental tone and non-linear narrative structure. All in all, I fully expect the show to provoke strong reactions in the same vein as FWWM and I wouldn't want it any other way. And I do hope everyone finds something to love and appreciate about it even if it doesn't fulfill their expectations.
Didn't Lynch say that the new season would not be radically different from the first run, but rather more of the same? Not sure who's gonna be most disappointed, tbh.
I think that the biggest difference between seasons 1/2 and the new one will be the lack of all the annoying sidestories. Without the chapters about the Nadines and the Nickys and the Milfords and the Marshes, the original show undoubtedly would've appeared more "dark and dangerous", as Frost has stated s03 to be.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

bob_wooler wrote:
underthefan wrote:But considering how long it has been since Lynch dabbled in more conventional works, I have a strong feeling this time around Lynch and Frost will veer more towards the FWWM/MD/LH/IE vibe (in fact, even Frost's book veers in this direction). Which is why I think the fans of the first season who are expecting a return to something similar will be severely disappointed and quitting the show. Not that there won't be humor (especially absurdist humor) involved, but I do expect a more unconventional, experimental tone and non-linear narrative structure. All in all, I fully expect the show to provoke strong reactions in the same vein as FWWM and I wouldn't want it any other way. And I do hope everyone finds something to love and appreciate about it even if it doesn't fulfill their expectations.
Didn't Lynch say that the new season would not be radically different from the first run, but rather more of the same? .
No, he did not say this.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

No, but he did emphasise the pilot as exemplary twin peaks in his eyes, and indicated that they weren't going to sex things up for the sake of it just because of cable tv freedoms. Everyone is looking to that Nevins heroin quote as some major thing but 1) he was never gonna say "nah it's tame af fam" 2) it's hardly like eraserhead lost highway ep16 ep29 etc etc etc etc etc are adulterated lynch
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

djerdap wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:
Didn't Lynch say that the new season would not be radically different from the first run, but rather more of the same? .
No, he did not say this.
Yeah, I don't remember him saying that either. In fact, I can't remember him saying anything other than that Laura's last seven days are very, very important to the new season, which implies that it will be more in vein of FWWM than S1/S2. Now, this is not an absolute either/or scenario at all, but more a general feeling/vibe/atmosphere. Which for me personally means there is 0.0% chance I will end up disappointed.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

underthefan wrote:
djerdap wrote:
bob_wooler wrote: Didn't Lynch say that the new season would not be radically different from the first run, but rather more of the same? .
No, he did not say this.
Yeah, I don't remember him saying that either. In fact, I can't remember him saying anything other than that Laura's last seven days are very, very important to the new season, which implies that it will be more in vein of FWWM than S1/S2. Now, this is not an absolute either/or scenario at all, but more a general feeling/vibe/atmosphere. Which for me personally means there is 0.0% chance I will end up disappointed.
To be fair, the quote about Laura's last seven days being important applies more to the plot elements contained within FWWM than it's tone.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

eyeboogers wrote:
underthefan wrote:
djerdap wrote:
No, he did not say this.
To be fair, the quote about Laura's last seven days being important applies more to the plot elements contained within FWWM than it's tone.
Maybe, but the plot elements are inherently darker and more surreal, so that could imply its tone, as well. Although at the end of the day, we won't know for sure until May 21...
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

djerdap wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:
No, he did not say this.
No, not at Mondays TCA. I was referring to (slightly inaccurately by memory) an interview he did with Agenda Magazine were asked about the possibility of more freedom on cable vs network tv (in 2015). He said ""[...]But we had freedom on Twin Peaks (the original). Way more than you imagine. I don’t know how it happened, but there were hardly any restrictions. So it’s not like we’re saying now: “Oh boy, we’re gonna really do some raunchy things.” We’re gonna do the same things, but in better quality[...].

EDIT. Could, of course be he strictly meant violence and sex and such, but I think also a very surrealistic approach to this could be just as alienating and that he were ready to restrict himself.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Re: Official Thread - TCA Announcement - Twin Peaks on Showtime May 21st

Post by ForKeeps »

And yet, there are clearly moments in FWWM that would not have been able to air ABC in 1990. So, take it with a grain of salt.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

I have read all 32 pages...donno if I missed it or if it hasn't been mentioned....but if this thing is 18 hours long that means it will be going on during the summer...?....isn't that a bit odd?? I figured they would show around half in Apr/May/June..with the other half going on in Oct/Nov/Dec....wouldn't that be better for ratings or am I just messed up in the head a bit about this :?:
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

kafa81 wrote:I have read all 32 pages...donno if I missed it or if it hasn't been mentioned....but if this thing is 18 hours long that means it will be going on during the summer...?....isn't that a bit odd?? I figured they would show around half in Apr/May/June..with the other half going on in Oct/Nov/Dec....wouldn't that be better for ratings or am I just messed up in the head a bit about this :?:
You are absolutely correct, it is an unusual time to program something this high profile. Previously a mini series like "Wayward Pines" has revealed a niche-market for summer drama content, but I find it an odd decision for "Twin Peaks". Last year Showtime ran "Roadies" by Cameron Crowe during the summer, and the launch did not go well.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

We don't really know anything concrete about their release schedule. They've also been avoiding the word "episodes", instead using "hours" and now "parts". That has to mean something.
I'll see you in the trees
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Rainwater wrote:We don't really know anything concrete about their release schedule. They've also been avoiding the word "episodes", instead using "hours" and now "parts". That has to mean something.
Well, we know officially that it is 2 parts on the first sunday, 2 parts on the following sunday and then it switches to 1 part per week.