Official Thread - Twin Peaks - Jan 13 - Kyle Returns Promo

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Re: Official Thread - Twin Peaks - Jan 13 - Kyle Returns Promo

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

N. Needleman wrote:(I do kind of wish Richard Hoover was back, but I don't know the story there)
The new PD Ruth DeJong is no one to sneeze at, though! I looked her up - she's worked with Terrence Malick and Paul Thomas Anderson, and is a protege and close friend of Jack Fisk, Lynch's old art school pal and sometime-PD. I think she'll fit right in.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Gabriel wrote:I remember when I edited a Horror Channel promo for Twin Peaks six years or so ago; people said it must be based in such-and-such a film and it really wasn't. I actually cut it to mostly different audio and the shot choices changed right up until the last minute. Still chuffed with it, but sometimes a spade is just a spade.
Neat - I don't suppose that promo you did is available online anywhere, is it?
joemunch

Post by joemunch »

I really think the color grading will be like this picture they released. Don't see why they would edtit the colors of the picture like this if the show wasn't like that.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Eater of Iguanas wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:(I do kind of wish Richard Hoover was back, but I don't know the story there)
The new PD Ruth DeJong is no one to sneeze at, though! I looked her up - she's worked with Terrence Malick and Paul Thomas Anderson, and is a protege and close friend of Jack Fisk, Lynch's old art school pal and sometime-PD. I think she'll fit right in.
Yeah, I know her work. She's very impressive.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

I swear, only Twin Peaks fans. "I was excited about this new season, but now that I've seen the color grading in the 5 seconds of new footage that may not be complete or even from the series at all, I am very concerned!"

Enjoy yourselves.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think the meltdowns when the show airs will be epic. You have to remember this show has been all but sealed in amber for almost 30 years, and FWWM got a violent reaction as well.

I'm down for just about anything, but some other people, not so much.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Yeah, I am first and foremost excited about 18 new hours of David Lynch whatever. The fact that it's Twin Peaks is the icing on the gravy. There's no chance I'm checking this board or Twitter or anything else until well after the first few hours have aired and I've had a chance to digest them, because I know for an absolutely certainty the insta-reaction is going to be a shitshow.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I'm actually looking forward to a "shitshow", as you put it! :D Wouldn't be a complete Twin Peaks experience without it. Besides, if everyone would look at a thing in the same way, there'd be nothing to argue about - where's the fun in that?
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

N. Needleman wrote:I think the meltdowns when the show airs will be epic. You have to remember this show has been all but sealed in amber for almost 30 years, and FWWM got a violent reaction as well.

I am so looking forward to those moments where fan theories that have been nursed for decades get obliterated by 30 seconds of dialogue.
map_project

Post by map_project »

Wow, they slowed down the theme a lot for this teaser.

The time stretching is overtly audible, and it doesn't sound very good. It's a bit confounding, since it doesn't really seem like something a professional would do inadvertently. I wonder if there's a message being conveyed here by stretching the theme like that.
Time slowing down...?

Or perhaps it's more like a general introduction for time being an essential concept/plot device for the new show.
tid

Post by tid »

Does anyone else feel that all the promos have felt cheap and amateurish and a little rushed? The use of font in the titles, the presentation, the overplayed stock footage, all feels a little cheap and predictable to me. They don't seem to have much flair to get me excited. I know they are trying not to give anything away and maintain the secrecy, but I would have liked a little more effort put into these.
Last edited by tid on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

Kinda late but many thanks to those that identified Cooper's pins in his dream.

I don't have much of an opinion about the color grading (I think that it is nitpicking but I admit that I don't know much about such cinematography processes).

I am not bothered at all honestly, last year saw the anime adaptation of one of my favorite franchises ever and fans were freaking out when seeing promotional pictures but eventualy we had one of the best series adaptation of all time (it was part 4 of Jojo's bizarre adventure for those that are curious, some think that it has a Twin Peaks feeling to it but much like Gravity Falls it seems far fetched to me)
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

adl345 wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I think the meltdowns when the show airs will be epic. You have to remember this show has been all but sealed in amber for almost 30 years, and FWWM got a violent reaction as well.

I am so looking forward to those moments where fan theories that have been nursed for decades get obliterated by 30 seconds of dialogue.
The ones that have already been obliterated still thrive by discrediting more and more and more sources, up to and including one Mark Frost (quirky lovable Cooper, a tragic figure? No way!). Now we're down to the Lynch himself but I'm sure they'll find ways to ignore him too. Life finds a way and so does denial.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Adolphus wrote:If memory serves- the two hour pilot of Twin Peaks had a ' colder aesthetic ' compared to the rest of the series- seems to me the new season may be harkening back to that look.
The 'colder' look was really just a case of the pilot being shot in the north in cold misty weather. The TV series looked brighter because it was shot in California, meaning the exterior locations (excepting the stock footage) would be brighter and thus the interiors had to look consistent. The same thing happened when The X-Files moved to Vancouver.

It's not just a case of lighting either: the pilot was entirely shot on real locations, which always have a different feel from sets. Just listen to the sound in a lot of the scenes in the pilot. There's a 'roomy' quality in the interiors that a set never has.

The fact that the Showtime series has a great deal of location work up north again implies something closer to the pilot and FWWM, as the work on sets will have to match the location work.
krzhuva

Post by krzhuva »

tid wrote:Does anyone else feel that all the promos have felt cheap and amateurish and a little rushed? The use of font in the titles, the presentation, the overplayed stock footage, all feels a little cheap and predictable to me. They don't seem to have much flair to get me excited. I know they are trying not to give anything away and maintain the secrecy, but I would have liked a little more effort put into these.
That has been my consistent impression as well, including the last one with Dale which could've been exciting if not for the execution. They do feel rushed, and are mostly trying to sell nostalgia, which is a shame, because it would be delightful to see some novelty and Lynch's artistic vision behind them.