Official Thread - Twin Peaks - Jan 13 - Kyle Returns Promo

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: Official Thread - Twin Peaks - Jan 13 - Kyle Returns Promo

Post by laughingpinecone »

N. Needleman wrote: I don't think anyone is disputing Frost or Lynch's comments on the show.
This cap is fresh from this morning (and probably fueled the tone of my earlier reply) and not the only comment of this sort I've read, I may be unlucky in running across them but they're out there!
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.81 KiB) Viewed 11852 times
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Rainwater wrote:Something by The Veils was frequently mentioned here a while ago.
Their song "In The Nightfall" is rumoured to be featured in S3.

Check out that latest album if theirs, I find it to be the only one I really like (when compared to the IMHO dull sounding older material).

They definitely took a turn down cray cray alley. I love the result and already got the 12". :)
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

I think that was just people connecting the dots because we know The Veils are involved and that song's imagery and sound (to some people) fit the world of TP. I believe in that interview with the singer from last year he intimated that they worked with Lynch in the studio on something new for TP.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

I don't know why people have an issue with the color grading, to me it doesn't look that different from the original show. Also, it seems to have that same 'warm' hue in the promo shot of the diner.

The shot of the waterfall from one the first teasers with the cast and crew was way more 'modern' tho.
Last edited by Pöllö on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cow jumped over the moon.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

N. Needleman wrote:I think the meltdowns when the show airs will be epic. You have to remember this show has been all but sealed in amber for almost 30 years, and FWWM got a violent reaction as well.

I'm down for just about anything, but some other people, not so much.
Exactly. I think as long as people are in the mindset of "We already have the old TP, that is not going away, and this new series will be something very different" they probably wont be let down, in fact most likely will have a great ride.

Anyone expecting something quite similar to the original risk being let down. What made the original so special is a huge combination of factors, including the way it was shot (different now), Lynch's state of mind (different now), the cast (Different now + aged), the era and what's expected (different now).

So there is very little reason to expect anything but quite different from what we have seen before.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Cerulean wrote:
Rainwater wrote:Far as the original score goes, maybe Lynch himself has composed something - other than that, I don't think so.
Lynch mentioned in a Skype session with an Israeli university (can't remember when, but it was obviously post-2014) that he and Dean Hurley were working on new music for Twin Peaks. Whether it will make the final cut or not who knows, but I can picture something along the lines of his dream-pop-esque tracks from The Big Dream fitting the series.
The last track on that album, "Are You Sure?," is very reminiscent of the Julee Cruise material. The "Night Bell with Lightning" track on Crazy Clown Time borders on plagiarizing Angelo.

Lynch has composed some stuff on all his films from WaH on, except TSS (and possibly LH?). I'd definitely expect him to contribute some stuff.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Gabriel wrote:
Adolphus wrote:If memory serves- the two hour pilot of Twin Peaks had a ' colder aesthetic ' compared to the rest of the series- seems to me the new season may be harkening back to that look.
The 'colder' look was really just a case of the pilot being shot in the north in cold misty weather. The TV series looked brighter because it was shot in California, meaning the exterior locations (excepting the stock footage) would be brighter and thus the interiors had to look consistent. The same thing happened when The X-Files moved to Vancouver.

It's not just a case of lighting either: the pilot was entirely shot on real locations, which always have a different feel from sets. Just listen to the sound in a lot of the scenes in the pilot. There's a 'roomy' quality in the interiors that a set never has.

The fact that the Showtime series has a great deal of location work up north again implies something closer to the pilot and FWWM, as the work on sets will have to match the location work.
Yes.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

mujubuju wrote:That footage of the driving and cooper coming out of the shadows looks incredibly stunning. I can't even fathom someone being disappointed with the aesthetic for this.
Yup, fully agreed. I also think it's quite clear that those two shots are from the series, while the Gordon Cole is B-roll.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

RE colour grading, it might be a case that I'm not using the right terminology. Something about the image in the shot of Kyle just seems slightly off - kind of like there's not enough contrast or something?

Regardless, I know it'll just take a little getting used to. In a weird way, it's easier to nitpick when all we've got is 30 seconds, it leaves too much to the imagination. I think it's a good sign that it feels different and out of my comfort zone - a promising sign that it's going to shake things up. Like a snake shedding skin and starting fresh.

I have a feeling the story will be tight and engaging enough to maintain viewership among people who are disappointed with the (potentially/probably) darker tone and aesthetic shift.

The imagery of the road at night is beautiful and is kind of reminiscent of the look of INLAND EMPIRE, but with a little more polish. That quality of the greens reminds me of the leaked photo of Coop in the lime green jacket.

So overall, yes, I'm still very pleased with new teaser.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

laughingpinecone wrote:
N. Needleman wrote: I don't think anyone is disputing Frost or Lynch's comments on the show.
This cap is fresh from this morning (and probably fueled the tone of my earlier reply) and not the only comment of this sort I've read, I may be unlucky in running across them but they're out there!
I have no idea what board that's from.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

Rainwater wrote:...do you think Nevins' choice of words, for instance, would be any different, had he actually disliked it? He's making money from it. I'm not insinuating anything here, just that statements from the suits at Showtime are one of the last places I'd look to determine the quality of the series. Maybe I'm overly cynical, I don't know.
I don't think that's overly cynical - it's just common sense. The guy who's selling the product is of course going to tell you it's great. (And "great" is just subjective opinion - Nevins might not actually care for it, and be lying in that sense, but I or you might love it all the same, in which sense he'd be telling the truth.)

But the way Nevins chose to sell it is interesting to me. I suspect the subtext of the much-discussed "pure heroin" and "rewards close watching" comments is "We've got something weirder and more perplexing than we bargained for at first - we need to start prepping the audience and press now for that fact." If the finished season were a lot more accessible and conventional than Lynch's last couple films, I think we would instead have heard something along the lines of "We think this will be very welcoming for new viewers of all stripes, as well as satisfying for longtime fans." But with snazzier phrasing.

I'm trying to let go of expectations and just let it be whatever it is. But that's a bit like trying to not think of an elephant.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Someone on Reddit posted this comparison between the shot of Cooper and a certain shot of Pullman in LH. Exactly what I had been thinking of:

https://imgur.com/a/i4AUO
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Eater of Iguanas: I've been thinking the exact same thing. Plus everyone involved has emphasised that there is a strong central story.

So I'm expecting a strong central thread which is fairly accessible, with lots of abstract dressing and apparent obfuscation that makes sense over time. That's not actually a bad description of FWWM. There must be some concern amongst executives that they are launching such a product on a generation that collectively checks its phone whilst watching anything. I'm not sure how Shakespeare would have coped with that.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

baxter wrote:Eater of Iguanas: I've been thinking the exact same thing. Plus everyone involved has emphasised that there is a strong central story.

So I'm expecting a strong central thread which is fairly accessible, with lots of abstract dressing and apparent obfuscation that makes sense over time. That's not actually a bad description of FWWM. There must be some concern amongst executives that they are launching such a product on a generation that collectively checks its phone whilst watching anything. I'm not sure how Shakespeare would have coped with that.
I like the story about Kevin Spacey appearing in (I think) Death of a Salesman in the theatre. An audience member's mobile phone kept on ringing. Spacey stayed in character and shouted out 'If you don't turn that thing off, I will!'
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

David Locke wrote:Someone on Reddit posted this comparison between the shot of Cooper and a certain shot of Pullman in LH. Exactly what I had been thinking of:

https://imgur.com/a/i4AUO
When the Mail released those set photos out in the desert, I thought of Lost Highway immediately. At one stage, IIRC, the old lynch.com had a graphic declaring Twin Peaks, Mulholland Dr and Lost Highway all occupy the same universe.