Official Thread - Twin Peaks - Jan 13 - Kyle Returns Promo

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

djerdap
RR Diner Member

Re: Official Thread - Twin Peaks - Jan 13 - Kyle Returns Promo

Post by djerdap »

Yeah, most criticisms for True Detective season 2 were directed towards humourless characters, convoluted plot and overwrought dialogue, not for its alleged surreal turn. If anything, that one particular Lynch-wannabe scene (Colin Farrell's dream sequence) got some rare positive feedback.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Pöllö wrote:
Adolphus wrote:
Pöllö wrote:I wouldn't mind at all if the show is more like Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway, but oh man, are some people going to be pissed if it's more Lynchian than expected. Reminds me how people got upset over S2 of True Detective, when it took a more surreal approach. The season was great, but it got lynched and the show died as a result of it.
No- Season 2 of True Detective was a rambling, shambolic mess- NOT " more surreal "- as compared to the well written, taut Horror/ Occult show that Season 1 of TD was- which made it a great show, and more the reason for the disappointment in the follow up.
I'm not sure why people will be disappointed if Season 3 of Twin Peaks is more " Lynchian "- isn't this part of the reason people love the show in the first place? ( as well as Mark Frost's contribution as well of course ).
Fine, that's your opinion. I don't want to discuss that any further on a forum dedicated to TP.

I mostly meant the mainstream audience who love the show for it's quirky humor and lighter toned segments. You do know that majority of people don't like FWWM? That is what I mean. I'm sure that people on this forum, myself included, will love it.
Well, having watched FWWM in a theater with one other person when it was released, I do realize the critical and popular reaction to the film. I have also witnessed the critical reappraisement of the films qualities in the past 10-15 years or so- personally I love the FWWM AND the TW the series. You should probably steel yourself for the new season as I get the feeling it may veer more towards FWWM. Incidentally, people also loved the surreal weirdness and darkness of the original series as well- again Lynchian ( and Frost as well I know, but Lynch was/is more renowned than Frost for " surreal weirdness " ).
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Adolphus wrote:
Pöllö wrote:
Adolphus wrote: No- Season 2 of True Detective was a rambling, shambolic mess- NOT " more surreal "- as compared to the well written, taut Horror/ Occult show that Season 1 of TD was- which made it a great show, and more the reason for the disappointment in the follow up.
I'm not sure why people will be disappointed if Season 3 of Twin Peaks is more " Lynchian "- isn't this part of the reason people love the show in the first place? ( as well as Mark Frost's contribution as well of course ).
Fine, that's your opinion. I don't want to discuss that any further on a forum dedicated to TP.

I mostly meant the mainstream audience who love the show for it's quirky humor and lighter toned segments. You do know that majority of people don't like FWWM? That is what I mean. I'm sure that people on this forum, myself included, will love it.
Well, having watched FWWM in a theater with one other person when it was released, I do realize the critical and popular reaction to the film. I have also witnessed the critical reappraisement of the films qualities in the past 10-15 years or so- personally I love the FWWM AND the TW the series. You should probably steel yourself for the new season as I get the feeling it may veer more towards FWWM. Incidentally, people also loved the surreal weirdness and darkness of the original series as well- again Lynchian ( and Frost as well I know, but Lynch was/is more renowned than Frost for " surreal weirdness " ).
Yeah, I know that the original show was Lynchian, of course, but some people seem to like it to an extent. I've met many TP fans who don't like Lynch's other work and I feel like that speaks for the majority of people who watched the show when it originally aired.

I'm a big fan of Lynch and I hope that his influence will show even more this time.
The cow jumped over the moon.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Pöllö wrote:
Adolphus wrote:
Pöllö wrote: Fine, that's your opinion. I don't want to discuss that any further on a forum dedicated to TP.

Yeah, I know that the original show was Lynchian, of course, but some people seem to like it to an extent. I've met many TP fans who don't like Lynch's other work and I feel like that speaks for the majority of people who watched the show when it originally aired.

I'm a big fan of Lynch and I hope that his influence will show even more this time.
I can't speak for the majority of the people who like Twin Peaks- just myself- good to hear you're looking forward to the new season as much as I am.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

I don't even know what "mainstream audience" means in this context. Like, people who watch CBS shows? Yeah, I don't think they're even aware of the Twin Peaks revival and it's not being made for them. But people who, in 2017, would call themselves Twin Peaks fans? I don't think they're going to be turned off by it being dark or strange, unless it veers into Inland Empire levels of abstraction.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

I have to admit, I didn't like True Detective S1 at first. It was only after seeing and loving S2 that I enjoyed watching the first one for Nic's writing style. For me personally, season 2 is MUCH better, but somehow got dismissed by mainstream audiences so badly that whatever he had in mind for S3 got put to a halt, and now we're at "maybe he'll do it" but nothing is sure.

That sucks big time, reminds me of Peaks' fate back in the day - after all, a show is still only performing well if it SELLS.

Boo to big network TV for that. You already killed a bunch of awesome shows. :(

Fingers crossed for TP S3, but I think we're in for something good. Teasers and even spoilers seem promising to me.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Wow- nice to read an interesting/novel perspective on True Detective. I watched S1 recently (I've been following the Recommendations... thread and posting my feedback as I watch things). It took me a while to warm to it because of the immense hype, but I ended up liking it. I now have to see S2 I think, having previously decided not to bother based on the reverse hype!
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

baxter wrote:Wow- nice to read an interesting/novel perspective on True Detective. I watched S1 recently (I've been following the Recommendations... thread and posting my feedback as I watch things). It took me a while to warm to it because of the immense hype, but I ended up liking it. I now have to see S2 I think, having previously decided not to bother based on the reverse hype!
Thanks Bax!
Appreciated.

Build your own opinion - I thought Vaughn's standout acting alone makes it brilliant. He clearly risen above his usual comedy style to something else. Too bad the mainstream didn't see it that way...
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

OT, I know but I have to say this about True Detective: I really loved the first season but liked the second one quite a lot too. The biggest problem with second season IMO was the fact that Pizzolato should've had time to write it once more from beginning to end. That would've honed the story because now it felt rushed and little bit "too much". Also there was perhaps one main character too much, even though I liked them all in the end. I found that the second season had quite a lot lynchian vibe with the forests, music and surreal eeriness, even though it was merely a facade. I feel that there is a good show hidden in the fabric of the second season. I would've loved to see more TD in the future...
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I loved the 1st True Detective until the last instalment - the conclusion was unbearably lame, such a let down.
droolcup

Post by droolcup »

Do you think Agent Cooper will know where he has been for the last 25 years? Major Briggs didn't have a clear memory of where he went (the White Lodge?), in the Secret History book nobody who gets 'abducted' can remember everything and in the Georgia Coffee commercials Asami doesn't know where she was or what happened to her when she was in the Black Lodge. The Georgia Coffee isn't exactly series 2b, but Lynch still wrote the dialogue.

I think the teaser is Agent Cooper exiting the Black Lodge (which explains the trees) and traveling (the footage of the road) back to Twin Peaks. The series might be him uncovering what has happened in the last quarter of a century, which will in turn let all of us know as well.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

droolcup wrote:Do you think Agent Cooper will know where he has been for the last 25 years? Major Briggs didn't have a clear memory of where he went (the White Lodge?), in the Secret History book nobody who gets 'abducted' can remember everything and in the Georgia Coffee commercials Asami doesn't know where she was or what happened to her when she was in the Black Lodge. The Georgia Coffee isn't exactly series 2b, but Lynch still wrote the dialogue.

I think the teaser is Agent Cooper exiting the Black Lodge (which explains the trees) and traveling (the footage of the road) back to Twin Peaks. The series might be him uncovering what has happened in the last quarter of a century, which will in turn let all of us know as well.
Probably not. Maybe the Giant will help him to discover everything again?
The cow jumped over the moon.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Jeffries knew where he had been when he reappeared, so I think Coop will too.
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

I wonder how the steel box with the contents of the dossier, found at the crime scene, plays into Cooper's return to TP. Could that mean that the crime prompts Cooper's return?
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Snailhead wrote:Jeffries knew where he had been when he reappeared, so I think Coop will too.
Given the Missing Pieces shows Jefferies return to Buenos Aires two years before the film, one has to assume he got in touch with Gordon upon his return, which would mean history diverged there as well. Maybe in that timeline, Cooper investigates Teresa Banks rather than Chester...