Official Thread - Twin Peaks - Jan 13 - Kyle Returns Promo

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: Official Thread - Twin Peaks - Jan 13 - Kyle Returns Promo

Post by Mordeen »

Brad D wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote: The three dream lapels are a flame, a sort of crown and a rectangle of some kind!
What about the tie? Black tie is FWWM tie to me, but is it also his ep29 tie?
Expression and pin point toward good Dale for me too! Especially since, yeah, we know that bad Dale ain't FBI anymore. (Although technically, if he went AWOL it's not like anyone confiscated his badge)
The three lapel pins are, from top to bottom:
- A masonic logo pin
- A flame
- A 25-year military service bar

-Mordeen
those pins couldn't have been random, yet I don't think Lynch knew exactly what he was filming when they did the first RR scene. i hope they resurface!
They definitely were not random. Cooper was aged, that idea of it being 25 years was intended. The flames were in synch with Mike's "fire walk with me" dialogue. As for the masonic Pin, well. . .I can't talk about that in this thread.

H/T to The Woodsman for sleuthing the Masonic Lodge Pin.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

From what we've seen so far, including this teaser, I think we will be in for a pretty dark journey this time.

Some thoughts here...

The main appeal of TP to me, is the duality.

It's early to tell for sure, but it will be hard to capture the cozy aspects of the original, for a number of reasons. The horror of the original series, and then some, I have no doubt will represented to people's satisfaction. Plenty of nightmare fodder.

The other side of the coin is what I'm most curious about. What you might call the 'warmth' or 'coziness' that was a huge part of what made the series so special.
I'm skeptical of them being able to recreate that part, of even being willing to try.

If this footage is any indication, and it most likely is, then the show will have the digital feel, rather than the complex and magical imperfections of the original's film stock.
To some that may not seem like a big deal, but it has a tremendous impact on 'feel' in this regard.
Secondly, the chemistry and casting of that exact, largely young cast, played a big part too, again something that cannot really be recreated.
Thirdly, the state of mind of Lynch. He has simply been moving away from the kind of lightness the original TP had.

A few days ago I had a dream, basically playing a couple of episodes of the new series in my sleep. The look of the show was exactly like this teaser trailer.
It featured plenty of scary, cold, interesting and artful moments, and moments featuring truly dark sides of Coop, guaranteed to freak out fans. Overall a more modern and edgy take on TP, hard to shake.
Moments of quirky humor, but over all a lot colder and darker, deep.

That is what I expect from the show. And I'm very excited about it.

If I could choose, in all honesty I would probably prefer if they tried to re-create the original magic, hitting that incredible sweet spot where the most beautiful dream meets the most terrible nightmare.........on the other hand, I do understand that we have already *had* that TP.
So when I believe this new version will feel very different, with expectations adjusted accordingly, that can be seen as pure addition, thus enrichment.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I'll say it - if the footage of Gordon Cole and this new shot of Cooper are actual footage from the series, I'm disappointed. Something about the colour and lighting is a bit off to me - I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm still incredibly excited for the series, but I'm not a fan of the colour grading in the teasers thus far.
Cerulean
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cerulean »

Snailhead wrote:I'll say it - if the footage of Gordon Cole and this new shot of Cooper are actual footage from the series, I'm disappointed. Something about the colour and lighting is a bit off to me - I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm still incredibly excited for the series, but I'm not a fan of the colour grading in the teasers thus far.
Feel the exact same. It looks lifeless and cold to me. I'm still absolutely giddy whenever there's a new teaser, but it's definitely concerning.
Here's hoping that it's either footage shot specifically for the teasers or footage that hasn't been treated yet in post.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Cerulean wrote:
Snailhead wrote:I'll say it - if the footage of Gordon Cole and this new shot of Cooper are actual footage from the series, I'm disappointed. Something about the colour and lighting is a bit off to me - I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm still incredibly excited for the series, but I'm not a fan of the colour grading in the teasers thus far.
Feel the exact same. It looks lifeless and cold to me. I'm still absolutely giddy whenever there's a new teaser, but it's definitely concerning.
Here's hoping that it's either footage shot specifically for the teasers or footage that hasn't been treated yet in post.
If you're disappointed by the colour grading, you're going to be a heap of massive, shuddering tears when the series airs. The new Twin Peaks- not necessarily like the old Twin Peaks. I'm looking forward to the differences between the new and old- including the colour grading.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Adolphus wrote:
If you're disappointed by the colour grading, you're going to be a heap of massive, shuddering tears when the series airs.
Anything substantive to back that up? A lot of what I've read on this forum says how even untreated footage is apparently gorgeous. Just curious.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I taking this as exactly what it seems to be: a bunch of shots cut to music and Kyle walking out of the shadows. I can't read anything much into it, because there's nothing to read into it. It's a promo saying 'Kyle MacLachlan's back.'

Very cool, but it says nothing to me beyond that.

I remember when I edited a Horror Channel promo for Twin Peaks six years or so ago; people said it must be based in such-and-such a film and it really wasn't. I actually cut it to mostly different audio and the shot choices changed right up until the last minute. Still chuffed with it, but sometimes a spade is just a spade.

It's a promo. Very nice. Roll on May 21! ;)
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:
Adolphus wrote:
If you're disappointed by the colour grading, you're going to be a heap of massive, shuddering tears when the series airs.
Anything substantive to back that up? A lot of what I've read on this forum says how even untreated footage is apparently gorgeous. Just curious.
Just a hunch. I'm excited to see how the new series will be DIFFERENT from the original Twin Peaks- plus I'm a fan of David Lynch- so a new project by him is something to look forward to with anticipation.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Adolphus wrote:
Cerulean wrote:
If you're disappointed by the colour grading, you're going to be a heap of massive, shuddering tears when the series airs. The new Twin Peaks- not necessarily like the old Twin Peaks. I'm looking forward to the differences between the new and old- including the colour grading.
Just to clarify - I'm not disappointed because it's different than the original - I am expecting and embracing different. I'm just not a fan of the aesthetic in any context.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Snailhead wrote:
Adolphus wrote:
Cerulean wrote:
Just to clarify - I'm not disappointed because it's different than the original - I am expecting and embracing different. I'm just not a fan of the aesthetic in any context.
Really- and you don't think you're making an overly harsh judgement based on a 30 sec promo clip? If memory serves- the two hour pilot of Twin Peaks had a ' colder aesthetic ' compared to the rest of the series- seems to me the new season may be harkening back to that look.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I prefer the cold color grading. I expect it. You should too. Rock on.
We live inside a dream.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I do miss the old color grading, but I think it's unrealistic to expect it to be the same as 25 years ago, and for Lynch's visual sensibility to not have evolved. I didn't really expect it to come back. If there is a bit of the old red I'll welcome it, but I also welcome whatever he wants to bring to the visuals now. FWWM was certainly stunning, as were MD and LH.

(I do kind of wish Richard Hoover was back, but I don't know the story there)
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

My gut tells me cold blue is replacing warm red.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Peter Deming ROCKS!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yes, he does.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.