The Enemy Within.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Louisahoo

The Enemy Within.

Post by Louisahoo »

Not a frequent poster, but since we've gotten a new batch of teasers, and everyone is posting theories, I'd like to share one of mine I've had for many years.

Someone in another thread mentioned a Trek episode. I'm reminded of the old original series episode the enemy within. To summarize, a transporter malfunction splits Kirk into A good Kirk, and a bad Kirk. The bad Kirk is a potential rapist, booze hound, very strong-willed, really bad person. Conversely, the good Kirk has all of his good qualities – but the interesting thing about that episode was they ended up figuring out what had happened but the good Kirk was dying without the bad Kirk which was the other half of who he was. In fact, his strength of command and a lot of the abilities of command came from his negative side. The good Kirk was the wonderful captain kirk that we all loved, but he couldn't make any decisions.

The bottom line being, none of us can truly be our full selves without both the light and dark side of who we are. That is a very interesting study in human psychology, and the type of introspective look at duality that I think David Lynch would like, and perhaps was setting up at the end of season two back in 1991.

What if Cooper has to find his evil doppelgänger, and somehow re-enter the lodge in order to become a whole person again. Think about how traumatic that would be – knowing the atrocities that you're evil doppelgänger had committed, but knowing that you needed that in order to survive as a full person.

Anyway, extremely excited about the fact that we now have a date and we will be getting Twin Peaks on the TV once again.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: The Enemy Within.

Post by N. Needleman »

I think something like this is distinctly possible.

We were shown the Bad Dale chasing Cooper through the Lodge and catching him. If the doppleganger's escapades have taken him back to the Pacific Northwest, Cooper would have to follow. Hence, an odyssey that takes him cross-country and back to Twin Peaks.

Is it definite, though, that Dopplecoop left the FBI and went AWOL? I think it's kind of alluded to in Secret History that Coop is no longer an active agent, but I don't have the book in front of me atm and I'm frankly not sure how much Lynch/Frost's storytelling in-show will be closely tied to that book.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

I just hope MacLachlan won't Shatner it up too much.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

the whole 2 coopers concept is something i certainly look forward to seeing play out, if indeed it does. in the case of leland/bob, it seems to have been a mostly internal struggle...bob has to be removed in a kind of spiritualist way and whether his influence is something leland fully understood is not made fully explicit. in the case of mike/bob or whoever, that struggle is ultimately an external one- he cuts off his arm. mike was also apparently fully willing at first, but had some sort of epiphany that made him unwilling. i don't think that's the case with leland. while, leland certainly seems to have had some compliance in laura's abuse, but i'm not so sure about the murder. mike knew about bob, but bob used subterfuge in concealing his presence from leland. and while bob's demeanor at least doesn't exactly suggest a cool head, like the "bad" kirk, he is clearly capable of great stealth and some very long range planning if needed.
i could see this playing out in a "good" kirk/ " bad" kirk way. but in fact, i wonder if we haven't kind of seen it already, in so much as the relative differences between the dopplecooper we saw in epi 29 vs. the reassuring presence for laura version of cooper at the end of FWWM could be comparable to the evil and weak sides of leland. however, despite cooper's fear in epi 29, to me the difference is that the final cooper we see in FWWM hasn't lost his courage or fortitude as "good" kirk did. i kind of think it might take more courage for cooper to sacrifice so much of himself and his future to remain there with laura than for him to fight/escape. i am, however very interested in why he chooses to do so at this time ( if indeed that is his choice).
of course, a lot of it depends how how they choose to reconcile the idea of the dopplegangers vs. the possession dichotomy. and if a reintegration storyline were to appear, i wouldn't be disappointed - it could be great! i would love to see KM "shatner it up"!
next step: rocket science!