Twin Peaks Character Series - 82 entries, runs thru 5/19

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Character Series - 82 entries, runs thru 5/19

Post by Panapaok »

No worries Joel. This series definitely seem hard to pull off and a short break sounds necessary.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

This is certainly a Herculean endeavor -- I've had a tough time even imagining the logistics of tracking every character's screentime lengths. Work at your own pace, even if it takes you past 5/21. This is a terrific resource, there's no sense rushing it, or letting it become a stressor in your life!
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I miss these! Fingers crossed for Tuesday and daily updates till premiere, but as with the new season itself it'll take as long as it takes and I'll be satisfied. Would hate to think of Albert or Pete being given short shrift over something as mundane as a deadline!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:This is certainly a Herculean endeavor -- I've had a tough time even imagining the logistics of tracking every character's screentime lengths. Work at your own pace, even if it takes you past 5/21. This is a terrific resource, there's no sense rushing it, or letting it become a stressor in your life!
The preliminary work necessary to determine screentime & facilitate studying each character was actually done between May to December last year, and some of it stretches back as far as the Journey Through Twin Peaks videos in 2014 (I had to organize a complete list of scenes and characters that were with them so that I could find clips quickly when needed). There's a sort of "secret ingredient" to all of this which I'm hesitant to unveil for some reason haha. Well, secrets are a good thing in Twin Peaks - or mysteries are anyway.

As a update, this week went really slow. After I gave myself a reprieve on Albert I dragged the process on for much longer than I have for any other character. But, aside from some necessary editing/clean-up he's done and I'm on to the next one. I'm hoping to finish at least two this weekend and soon after there's a big one that is probably going to take longer than any so far (by which I mean actual time, not days - Albert took a week but there were days I barely worked on him at all). I would say I HAVE to finish that one before I can allow myself to start publishing again, which means I'll probably be less than a week ahead (my original backlog goal) when I resume.

The 25th looks very unlikely. I'll have to balance between whether I want to publish two a day for some of the entries or push back the deadline a couple days so that the concluding entry goes up the morning of the premiere (and if I wait longer than the 27th, I have to do the first even if I do the second). I suspect I'd rather give readers more time to read that last entry beforehand, though; by the night of Sunday the 21st it will hopefully still be *interesting* but it will already be out-of-date in many regards. I'll keep everyone posted...
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Any idea when this will start back up Joel?
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

Are we sure that Between Two Worlds was written by Lynch ? I always thought that it was improvised. (IMDB does not mention any writer either)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

CuriousWoman wrote:Are we sure that Between Two Worlds was written by Lynch ? I always thought that it was improvised. (IMDB does not mention any writer either)
I assumed it was "improvised" in the same way Episode 29 was: DKL wrote it on set, probably in a collaborative fashion with contributions from the actors. I doubt he just rolled camera and let them talk.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I was sure I remembered someone saying on here that the script was written by lynch and handed to the actors just before, but I can't find it now.

Great to have these back, Joel - loved the Sarah entry! I definitely advise not skimming over the summary part for this one in particular, for those who are in the habit of doing so.
keatonshat
Roadhouse Member

Post by keatonshat »

Dalai Cooper wrote:I was sure I remembered someone saying on here that the script was written by lynch and handed to the actors just before, but I can't find it now.

Great to have these back, Joel - loved the Sarah entry! I definitely advise not skimming over the summary part for this one in particular, for those who are in the habit of doing so.
The podcast Fire Talk With Me did an episode which was an interview with producer and of the blu rays (and Gold Box) Charles de Lauzirika and in that conversation he said that the pages were sent over in the morning before the shoot to give Grace, Ray and Sheryl
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Great to have these back, Joel - loved the Sarah entry! I definitely advise not skimming over the summary part for this one in particular, for those who are in the habit of doing so.
Ditto! Sarah's entry is maybe my favorite so far: that summary section is beautifully written. Well worth the wait.

Minor nitpick: you say that Juanita (Zabriskie) was Perdita (Rossellini)'s mother in W@H, but they're actually sisters. (I forget if this is explicitly said in the film -- I think it is -- but it's definitely in the book).

Also, no shoutout for Jose Ferrer being in Dune? I can't think of many parent-child combos to have worked with DKL (aside from Ladd/Dern of course).
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:Great to have these back, Joel - loved the Sarah entry! I definitely advise not skimming over the summary part for this one in particular, for those who are in the habit of doing so.
Ditto! Sarah's entry is maybe my favorite so far: that summary section is beautifully written. Well worth the wait.

Minor nitpick: you say that Juanita (Zabriskie) was Perdita (Rossellini)'s mother in W@H, but they're actually sisters. (I forget if this is explicitly said in the film -- I think it is -- but it's definitely in the book).

Also, no shoutout for Jose Ferrer being in Dune? I can't think of many parent-child combos to have worked with DKL (aside from Ladd/Dern of course).
i think it's stated in the film by Willem Dafoe's character when he's looking at the picture of them together.

Michael Parks as Jean Renault + his son was in Fire Walk With Me as the car mechanic guy ("Don't do that to your engine mister!!")
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

claaa7 wrote:Michael Parks as Jean Renault + his son was in Fire Walk With Me as the car mechanic guy ("Don't do that to your engine mister!!")
Oh! I don't believe I ever heard that before, thanks! Of course, as LITM pointed out in his character studies, Dan & Gavan O'Herlihy are another example of father-son Lynch collaborators, sort of, although Lynch never directed the latter.

It's funny, anytime I saw Miguel Ferrer talk about getting the job on TP, I don't recall him ever mentioning the fact that his dad had worked with Lynch. You'd think that would at least merit a casual mention.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Great summary of both Sarah and Maddy.

Oh, just one nitpick - it's Duchovny, not Duchovney. ;)
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

Just read Briggs' entry (great as always) but I noticed something unusual:

It's first I see the name of his colonel being written "Reilly" instead of Riley. After checking, the former is the spelling from the shooting script of episode 19. Could someone check what spelling is actually used on-screen on his uniform's name tag?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

CuriousWoman wrote:Just read Briggs' entry (great as always) but I noticed something unusual:

It's first I see the name of his colonel being written "Reilly" instead of Riley. After checking, the former is the spelling from the shooting script of episode 19. Could someone check what spelling is actually used on-screen on his uniform's name tag?
I'm fairly certain that it says "Reilly" on his name tag, or that the tag is illegible onscreen. The reason being that I've been taking notes throughout my rewatch, for a timeline project as well as updating my personal cast list for the series. After reading the script, I noted the spelling discrepancy (I'd always seen it as "Riley" as well, on unofficial online sources), and I'm certain I went back and checked the name tag (I've been attentive to name tags on this rewatch, as well as other minutiae), and after doing so, I stuck with the "Reilly" spelling from the script in my notes.

Unfortunately, I can't definitely remember if I was able to read the name tag onscreen or not, and I'm away from home. I tried streaming the episode on my phone, but the picture quality and the size are too poor to make it out, although it does look like it might potentially be legible in one shot. If no one has definitively answered this by Saturday night, I'll check my Blu Ray.

More fun with name tags: While LostInTheMovies mentioned Randy's checkered history (or lack thereof) in the scripts, I don't believe he mentioned the fact that in Randy's first two episodes, while he is credited as "Randy St. Croix," his name tag reads "Randy Meyer"! This was finally corrected in his third appearance.

Another random last name question: What is the basis for Gwen's last name being Morton? I haven't seen reference to this in any episode or script. I assume it was revealed in a press release when Wilhoite's guest appearance was announced?

EDIT: The one shot where the nametag is semi-legible (20:13-20:15), it seems to read "Col. C. Reilly," but I can't 100% be sure. I'm still wondering where Gwen's last name comes from.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sat May 06, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.