Twin Peaks Character Series - 82 entries, runs thru 5/19

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks Character Series - 82 entries, runs thru 5/19

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Btw, I was really surprised (and very happy) that Garland and Albert outranked Nadine and Hank. Garland's prominence comes so late in the game and Albert's visits are so sporadic that I never would have guessed those two had more screentime than Nadine & Hank, who have regular ongoing stories throughout the entire run of the series (or nearly the entire series, in Hank's case). Garland falling right below the Top 20 "Starring" characters was a particularly welcome surprise.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

I'm just giving this an 'up' because it deserves it.
Only now noticed two new entries (Maddy and Briggs) were made a while ago.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

This most recent entry was an absolute beast. I think it took about 12 days to complete. And now I have 10 days to do 20 entries. In other words, things aren't looking bright for the deadline but I'm going to keep plugging away anyway. The speed with which I can put together the next one will be decisive. For now, enjoy the most recent 5 entries.

FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield (#25)

Sarah Palmer (#24)

Madeleine "Maddy" Ferguson (#23)

Major Garland Briggs, USAF (#22)

The Spirits of Twin Peaks (#21)

Thanks for the corrections, I've applied them to the pieces (I think I was so eager to mention Jose Ferrer as Badger in Wind in the Willows, I forgot to mention Dune haha). And I'm glad people liked the Sarah summary - I really liked how that one came out.

Time to finally crack the top 20 in a race to a finish (or, as it may turn out, a short-lived stumble as I realize it just can't be done). Work on Josie begins in 3...2...1...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The "Spirits" entry is terrific. My head is spinning; it's too much to digest at once. I'll have to revisit it tomorrow. It beautifully synthesizes many different theories (some of which are new to me), while simultaneously highlighting the seeming contradictions. The chronicle of your initial conflicted reaction to BOB in FWWM, and particularly your concluding paragraph portraying him as both "a searing indictment of denial and an evasive expression of it," sum up my feelings on the character perfectly. It will be extremely interesting to see what Lynch subs for him in the new series.

I do wonder that the entry largely shies away from the Spirits' ambiguous relationship with Owls. Indeed, Owls are even conspicuously absent from the section in this entry chronicling the animals that have appeared in the TP universe! It also strikes me that the entry avoids mentioning the hooded Guardian, a minor but intriguing Lodge character in the mid-season 2 pantheon. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Lynch incorporated this figure in some form into the Return, even though he/she/it feels pretty un-Lynchian at first blush.

Those quibbles aside, beautiful work, Lost. I imagine the Josie entry will be a bitch due to her ambiguous characterization, the convoluted "Packard" backstory and the extensive origin story Frost gave her in TSHoTP, which both clarifies and muddies many of her scenes on the series. I hope things smooth out a bit for you after that. I'm especially excited for the entries on characters like Pete (whom I love) and James (whom I dislike): characters who are arguably poorly-sketched / inconsistent as the series goes along due to the many cooks in the kitchen, but in some ways feel all the more human / real for that inconsistency.

On a similar note to Reilly/Riley, I wonder why Annie's last name is consistently spelled "Blackburn" in the fan community when every script spells it "Blackburne." (Also still curious if anyone knows where Gwen's last name came from.)
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Wed May 10, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

What do you think of the theory that the monkey is Philip Jeffries' form while observing the meeting above the convenience store? Hence why it is the monkey that mutters "Judy."

It would mean that the grandson offers Jeffries a glimpse into their world, peeling back the mask to let him see
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

LostInTheMovies wrote:This most recent entry was an absolute beast. I think it took about 12 days to complete. And now I have 10 days to do 20 entries. In other words, things aren't looking bright for the deadline but I'm going to keep plugging away anyway. The speed with which I can put together the next one will be decisive. For now, enjoy the most recent 5 entries.

FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield (#25)

Sarah Palmer (#24)

Madeleine "Maddy" Ferguson (#23)

Major Garland Briggs, USAF (#22)

The Spirits of Twin Peaks (#21)

Thanks for the corrections, I've applied them to the pieces (I think I was so eager to mention Jose Ferrer as Badger in Wind in the Willows, I forgot to mention Dune haha). And I'm glad people liked the Sarah summary - I really liked how that one came out.

Time to finally crack the top 20 in a race to a finish (or, as it may turn out, a short-lived stumble as I realize it just can't be done). Work on Josie begins in 3...2...1...
I would like to thank you again for this beautifull series! Really looking forward to reading 'the spirits' in my lunchbreak :)
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

To paraphrase Hank Jennings, Joel, you're a nut.

Remember that sleep deprivation is a one-way ticket to temporary psychosis. We're going to need you fully functional when it comes time to analyze hours of new Twin Peaks.

I'm working to complete a Twin Peaks project as well, and you'll be the first living soul (other than myself) to see it. (I should note that it's not a recut season two.) I hope to have it completed before Monday, so keep an eye on your PM's.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The 'spirits' entry is indeed amazing. Truly great stuff.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Wow, my lunchbreak wasn't near long enough to read the spirits-entry... :)
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Thanks for continuing to do this amazing work - I check this page most everyday to see if there's a new entry. The Spirits entry is the best one yet.....
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Finally threw in the towel tonight. I am bummed about having to continue the series simultaneously with new Twin Peaks which really runs contrary to the spirit of the exercise but it is what it is. I am not imposing any deadline at this point, and I won't start publishing them again until all 20 are done. I'm thinking that might be around late June (honestly it may take even longer now that I've relieved the pressure). So it would conclude around late July if I ran 4 a week (leaving Monday for my response to a new episode). Kicking myself for not spending the crucial months of December-February more wisely to get ahead but hindsight is 20/20.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

No worries, just keep up the good work! I'd love to see the entry of Cooper before the new series starts, but I perfectly understand if you want to keep the countdown clean.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

The one post, I think on Sarah Palmer, mentioned Herzog/Lynch cross-over actors; I imagine there's actually quite a few of them.

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done, directed by Herzog, produced by Lynch, as at least three (Zabriskie, Dafoe, Brad Dourif), Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans has Cage, Invincible has Tim Roth, Rescue Dawn has Jeremy Davies (obviously the latter two are working with Lynch on the new Peaks).

Wouldn't be shocked if there's a few more minor actors that have cross pollinated.

Also, as other's said, don't get down on yourself. All this stuff seems like a helluva lotta work.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It's a massive undertaking. We all love what you've given us so far, and the Top 20 will undoubtedly be terrific whenever they're published. I understand why it was important to you to finish before 5/21, but I hope you don't beat yourself up too much. This feels like the perfect place to take a break: before engaging the pantheon of the "main" characters. I hope that "throwing in the towel" gives you a chance to relax and soak in this incredible moment of anticipation leading up to the new series, rather than feeling like the return of a favorite TV series is a harrowing deadline. The work you've done so far has contributed immensely to my personal pre-Return build-up, and I very much look forward to reading the rest.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Yeah, it's all good Joel. Take it easy, write them as good as possible without any pressure. The thing that matters is to deliver this series in a way that satisfies you first and then us the readers. It's a challenging task and we're all eager to read the rest whenever you're ready.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.