Twin Peaks Character Series - 82 entries, runs thru 5/19

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Character Series - 82 entries, runs thru 5/19

Post by CuriousWoman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I've always assumed, for no particular reason, that the other sketch from the extended Pilot is Bob Lydecker. There's just a beautiful symmetry to it -- and that guy LOOKS like a veterenarian.
That's what I thought Lostinthemovies wrote when I misread a part of today's entry, that's why I am now wondering if we have any idea who it could be (in a narrative as well as a real world POV).
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Peyton's Episode 9 script has Margaret ask Garland, re: the Log, "Do you know him?" In the filmed version, Lynch and Coulson made the subtle change to, "Do you know it?" This, coupled with the Coulson quote in her entry, makes it seem that Lynch and his ally Coulson actively resisted the easy answer (seemingly posited by Frost and the writers, most recently in TSHoTP) that the Log is inhabited by ol' Sam Lanterman.
That's something I never heard about. Now I am pretty sure that this fan theory was something that the writers actually thought about at the time.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

CuriousWoman wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Peyton's Episode 9 script has Margaret ask Garland, re: the Log, "Do you know him?" In the filmed version, Lynch and Coulson made the subtle change to, "Do you know it?" This, coupled with the Coulson quote in her entry, makes it seem that Lynch and his ally Coulson actively resisted the easy answer (seemingly posited by Frost and the writers, most recently in TSHoTP) that the Log is inhabited by ol' Sam Lanterman.
That's something I never heard about. Now I am pretty sure that this fan theory was something that the writers actually thought about at the time.
Is it a fan theory? I thought it was pretty well established in FWWM.
I'll see you in the trees
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Reading the piece on The One-Armed Man and I have to say that I'm so excited that Al Strobel came out of retirement and will appear in the new series. Such a puzzling, fascinating character portrayed marvelously by Strobel. I'm pretty certain that even if he has a small part, he'll be quite crucial for the plot.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Panapaok wrote:Reading the piece on The One-Armed Man and I have to say that I'm so excited that Al Strobel came out of retirement and will appear in the new series. Such a puzzling, fascinating character portrayed marvelously by Strobel. I'm pretty certain that even if he has a small part, he'll be quite crucial for the plot.
Most certainly. Considering we won't be seeing MJA, Frances Bay, and Frank Silva, Strobel's presence is so very welcome.

I'm hoping for a scene with the One-Armed Man and the Giant. They've both talked about each other during the series, but have never shared the screen. It seems like the new series would be a perfect opportunity for them to interact.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

After reading Gordon Cole's entry today, I was reminded of a deleted scene from the movie script that seems very interesting for what we can expect of him in the revival:

Just after Jeffries disappeared in the FBI office, a frustrated Cole tells himself outloud that he is 'GOING TO BE READY FOR THEM', probably refering to the spirits above the convenience store.

I interpret it as Cole already being established by the authors as a supernatural expert and probably even an enemy of the black lodge
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

CuriousWoman wrote:After reading Gordon Cole's entry today, I was reminded of a deleted scene from the movie script that seems very interesting for what we can expect of him in the revival:

Just after Jeffries disappeared in the FBI office, a frustrated Cole tells himself outloud that he is 'GOING TO BE READY FOR THEM', probably refering to the spirits above the convenience store.

I interpret it as Cole already being established by the authors as a supernatural expert and probably even an enemy of the black lodge
I think he's responding to the prior line that the doctors will be there any minute. Cole says he himself is going to be ready for the them, presumably due to the shock. It's a small joke.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

I reread it again, yeah you are right, he was definitely talking about the doctors. :(
I guess I interpreted it that way because I wanted it to be so. (I feel kinda stupid now)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

CuriousWoman wrote:I reread it again, yeah you are right, he was definitely talking about the doctors. :(
I guess I interpreted it that way because I wanted it to be so. (I feel kinda stupid now)
Nah, part of the experience of being a TP fan is the maddening dichtomy between the show's tendency to drop subtle hints (break the code, solve the crime!) and DKL's absolute refusal to offer easy answers. We're always grasping at straws, lending weights to moments that may or may have been intended to be anything. It's part of the fun! I've been combing the scripts during my rewatch this time, hoping for subtle hints at what might have been and what might still be.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

CuriousWoman wrote: That's what I thought Lostinthemovies wrote when I misread a part of today's entry, that's why I am now wondering if we have any idea who it could be (in a narrative as well as a real world POV).
The script identifies the sketch as Leo Johnson. I initially thought 'no way,' when I read that, but compare and it looks pretty similar!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PDY_pqIcuS0/U ... t+11+2.png
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/twi ... 1025123520
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

I'm really enjoying this character series, thanks so much for this painstaking series, LostInTheMovies!
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

AXX°N N. wrote:The script identifies the sketch as Leo Johnson. I initially thought 'no way,' when I read that, but compare and it looks pretty similar!
I was talking about yet another sketch: one that is only seen in the international pilot ending and is described in episode 2's script as "a bogus sketch". It is the drawing of a bald man with a mustache. The one you are thinking about is shown to Ronette and is confirmed to be Leo's portrait I believe (even though it does not look much like him in my opinion).
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I've always assumed, for no particular reason, that the other sketch from the extended Pilot is Bob Lydecker. There's just a beautiful symmetry to it -- and that guy LOOKS like a veterenarian. (Btw, as brilliant as all of Strobel's work on the show is, I think his comically pissy delivery on "No, that's not Bob" might be my favorite thing he did for the show).
Yeah, I love that idea too! I'm still holding out hope we get some follow-up with Lydecker. I wonder who the sketch was based on?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Barely hung on my fingernails this week - the last post went up at 11:59 on Friday! (And to think when I started, I had a full month's backlog mostly written.) I plan on getting ahead again this weekend which is good because the pieces are only going to take longer going forward...

Phillip Gerard (#40)

Eileen Hayward (#39)

John Justice Wheeler (#38)

Gordon Cole (#37)

Harold Smith (#36)
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

CuriousWoman wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:The script identifies the sketch as Leo Johnson. I initially thought 'no way,' when I read that, but compare and it looks pretty similar!
I was talking about yet another sketch: one that is only seen in the international pilot ending and is described in episode 2's script as "a bogus sketch". It is the drawing of a bald man with a mustache. The one you are thinking about is shown to Ronette and is confirmed to be Leo's portrait I believe (even though it does not look much like him in my opinion).
Oh wow, you're right, I completely forgot about that one.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Dude I'm loving it but I wouldn't want to be you when all the "I'll save it for a later entry"s come home to roost lol