Quirks/Habits that enhance your Twin Peaks viewing experience

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Re: Quirks/Habits that enhance your Twin Peaks viewing experience

Post by nonemoreblack »

I love tea as much as Cooper loves coffee, so that's usually my go-to. For whatever reason I also particularly like wearing pajamas when I watch it. Maybe because it's the kind of show you want to watch on a cold autumn or winter night. It's also fun watching it when there's a thunderstorm.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Maybe I should try sawing wood until 21 may 2017 ...

https://www.nowness.com/story/david-lyn ... encio-1689
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Coffee! Preferably espresso. And Marijuana. And cigarettes. And it is night.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Coffee and painkillers. The combination of painkillers and Lynch's imagery and Badalamenti's score make you feel like you are in some kind of warm cocoon. It's incredible.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

mtwentz wrote:
Soolsma wrote:I am an experienced and trained (lucid) dreamer. I'd love to discuss the subject further but I can delve so deep into it that I'd feel I'd be taking the thread off topic.
Sounds fun but what is the benefit of lucid dreaming?
Well, being lucid often means that you are able to seize at least some control of what's happening in your dream..

Usually, I spend a lot of time in them flying around which feels super realistic.. not too shabby. I also personally believe it has some (mental) health benefits, like maybe meditation.

Do some internet research on it, it's pretty cool stuff.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I've been trying to lucid dream but haven't yet succeeded. (also my efforts have been half-hearted)
Scullydive

Post by Scullydive »

I love sandalwood incense, I have some in my room right now! Never thought to have some burning while watching Twin Peaks though. I'm starting my rewatch this week so I'll definitely light some, and this time I'll also drink some black coffee which I didn't like the first time around.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

kitty666cats wrote:Image

This is the specific incense I was talking about. Seriously, the nice woody smell transports you right in, it's so good haha
Thanks for the heads up Kitty! ;)

I usually watch with Palo Santo, which is probably my favorite incense ever since attending a few Jex Thoth concerts (she lights it up each time, so good).

But I'll see if I can get those sandalwood sticks in my city. I'll definitely try them.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

I haven't seen it many places IRL, usually the only incense I see by that brand is their classic Nag Champa. I'm probably gonna order a bunch on Amazon Prime soon. Finally got myself Amazon Prime, partly because I'm gonna need to get Showtime in the near future haha :D
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Soolsma wrote:
Well, being lucid often means that you are able to seize at least some control of what's happening in your dream..

Usually, I spend a lot of time in them flying around which feels super realistic.. not too shabby. I also personally believe it has some (mental) health benefits, like maybe meditation.

Well it beats what I have: sleep paralysis. Imagine having something even scarier than Killer Bob attacking you every night. If anyone's seen the film 'The Nightmare' you'll have an idea of what it's like.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Gabriel wrote:
Soolsma wrote:

Well it beats what I have: sleep paralysis. Imagine having something even scarier than Killer Bob attacking you every night. If anyone's seen the film 'The Nightmare' you'll have an idea of what it's like.
Do you not get used to it eventually?
I'll see you in the trees
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Rainwater wrote:Do you not get used to it eventually?
No. It's more like you can feel it approaching like an oncoming storm. It happens randomly; you can be having a dream about going or an ice cream with your mum and dad or hanging out with some friends at the pub. First comes a sense of slight unease, followed by paralysis, then terror and a malevolent presence. There's a lot of that in the Bob material in Twin Peaks. Like I say, check out the film The Nightmare; it's a touch sensationalistic, but it's accurate to my experiences.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Gabriel, i really feel for you.. Sleep paralysis is truly TERRIFYING :(
i only had it once or twice but the memory is still vivid years later. and my cousin had it like you each and every night, in fact in her case (and in many others) i believe that there's a paranormal explanation for it. hers begun after playing around loads of times with a ouija board in her parents house, and her and her sister also started seeing strange stuff in there as well as feeling the presence

hope you'll get free from it
psyifinotic
Roadhouse Member

Post by psyifinotic »

Dead Dog wrote:Coffee and painkillers. The combination of painkillers and Lynch's imagery and Badalamenti's score make you feel like you are in some kind of warm cocoon. It's incredible.
i would love to try that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Gabriel wrote:
Soolsma wrote:

Well, I might get some of the good stuff in my lucid dreams but I get an occasional episode of sleep paralysis every now and then as well.

It sure is a shitty feeling. Like your body feel like a giant brick, constantly switching between sinking into this nightmare you so desperately try to escape and partly waking again.

You might want to evaluate your sleeping habits, the best is to sleep at regular times and getting plenty of it. Also check your surroundings for things that might disturb you while you sleep, maybe consider earplugs when you sleep in a noisy environment. Getting bad sleep and irregular sleep may also be stress related. The assumed direct cause is that you'll partly awake while still in your REM sleep (the dreaming phase), your mind will partly awake, dreams will start to blend in with reality while your body is still asleep, keeping you unable to move, which in turn is a major cause for the panic.

There is no real medical treatment whatsoever. There is however a meditation technique that seems to help. It consists of: recognizing the state you are in, distancing yourself from it psychologically and emotionally, trying to achieve a meditation state and relaxing your muscles. This is quite the contrary of what any person experiencing sleep paralysis would naturally do. I personally believe training yourself in lucid dream and/or general dream awareness might be beneficial to mastering a technique like that.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."