The Entire Mystery Blu-ray: how common is packaging damage?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

The Entire Mystery Blu-ray: how common is packaging damage?

Post by teddyleevin »

I just received my 2014 Blu-ray set from Amazon. The corners of the box are a little dinged up, never a good sign (and a little frustrating with a cardboard box, but I'll live), but the most notable flaw is that the glue (which could quite possibly be quite old) that holds the disc-holding portion has separated itself from the outer box. The Fire Walk With Me paper slip now free to roam the wilderness of the box's nether regions. I didn't get to experience this packaging easter egg the natural way as the disc sleeve chunk came right out and revealed the slip below. Now, there's no going back, I can't unlearn the easter egg, but I did wonder if I wanted to, to satisfy my own OCD, replace the packaging.

My question is, specifically when it relates to the glue holding the disc-holding portion to the outer box, has your packaging held up (or was it holding up in the first place)? I may end up replacing it for a package with much the same issue, or else jostle the crusty glue myself: no matter how careful one is, I can imagine the upward pressure passing through the disc pages, will inevitably cause wear on the integrity of that glue.

After all, losing the glue might be a blessing in disguise, as now I can safely take the disc sleeve out of the box and manipulate it in a more practical way to hit upon the later discs.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: The Entire Mystery Blu-ray: how common is packaging damage?

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mine is in mint condition and I purchased it on release day. It shouldn't be like that. I would exchange it for a new one.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

My copy has the same issue. The glue on mine let go about 7 months after the blu ray was released.
teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Post by teddyleevin »

Amazon sent a replacement in a similar cardboard box. This time, the box itself was not noticeably damaged, but the glue was about half un-adhered. I'm sure it's just the nature of the glue they used that it usually fails. It's actually sort of clumsily designed, how each turn of a disc page applies so much un-countered pressure on the glue at the bottom. But as both of y'all got yours around release, I guess it's sort of a crap shoot. I'd probably be tempting the fates to return it to Amazon a second time.

The black ribbon also seems to be a sore spot with some consumers; for many, it tore right off, and, for me, the second black ribbon was crimped and crushed by the box. The first one was flawless. It's a minor trade-off. Give the attention to detail that that gifts [plagues?] most TP fans, I appreciate the effort that went into this box, though I'm not sure the execution was the most pragmatic.
saygoodbyetojack
Roadhouse Member

Post by saygoodbyetojack »

I remember at the time the set was released in 2014 numerous people reported issues with the glue, that it either wasn't set properly when they purchased the Blu Ray or it stopped working after a few months.

Mine is still fine, I know that's no help to you though!
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

The glue on mine came off after two weeks owning it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

My glue also came undone pretty early on, and I'm fairly OCD with taking good care of my possessions (I go nuts when I lend my girlfriend a book and she flattens the binding every time she turns the page). The success stories on the glue seem to be in the minority. But it doesn't bother me too much, the set is otherwise terrific. I just hold the bottom down when I turn the "pages" to prevent any further damage.
Nightsea
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nightsea »

My set started to come unglued right away, upon first opening the box. To prevent it from worsening, I took all of the discs out and stored them in cd jewel cases– the slim kind that come in a multi-colored pack from Target. That way, I don't have to keep re-opening the box or flip through that cumbersome packaging each time I want to view a particular episode, etc. It probably helps with preventing disc scratches too.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The glue issue is apparent to pretty much everyone but other than that it's a truly amazing blu-ray set.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Mine's holding out (day one purchase) but it feels like the glue will give out if I'm any less than excessively delicate when dealing with it.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I read up about this issue before purchasing mine, but it's held out and has never felt flimsy -- feels cemented in there.

The set is absolutely impractically designed but I love that it feels like an art object.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

this isn't about any package damaging but i thought it didnt need a new thread and has probably been discussed before somewhere on here... but are there several different versions/pressings of The Entire Mystery Blu-Ray set? I know there's a 9 disc version budget one with less special features, but i'm talking about the regular 10 disc set. The one i bought recently (even without owning a BR player mind you) comes in a clear blue plastic cage.. there's no "Fire Walk With Me" note hidden paper note at the end, and the 10 discs are like on a regular plastic DVD box where you can flip between sets (more like the Gold Box but shorter)... this is not what i've seen in Kimmy's unboxing video for example
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I was only aware of the single 10 disc and 9 disc versions. Only thing I can think of is that a lot of the times sets vary in make between countries. Are you sure yours is American/region 01?
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Axxon N: thanks for the fast answer, no it's definitely not in Region 1 / US because i'm in Sweden and it's bought in a local store.. so maybe it's the regular EU packaging
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i found it.. mine have english titles, not french though and the discs looks like the original US one with the blue zig zag floor on them, 10 discs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUeUgyvy8vE