indians

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

laurasdiary

indians

Post by laurasdiary »

what is the role of Indians in the twin peaks stories? I only wonder as Audrey Horne's brother had a fascination with them and then the little man ( the arm) in the lodge makes noise of Indians...
James: you always hurt the ones you love...
Laura: You mean the ones you pity! :P
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: indians

Post by Soolsma »

Check out The Secret History of Twin Peaks :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I would love if the new series had more indigenous characters (Hawk's family? Coop visits a reservation? Ancient lodge spirits?)
Sadly I don't think we'll see too many aside from Hawk.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Second reading the Secret History, but also... BOB's actor happens to be a native American. The connotations of a native American revengeful spirit penetrating the veneer of a whitewashed modern american neighborhood certainly comes to mind, but seeing as BOB was improvised by fate, it's also misguided to render it so simple as that. But still -- very easy to see it as blood for blood. I've always felt the mythology of the town as strangely close to what ended up being the buried and suggested mythology behind the Silent Hill games -- which were clearly and overtly inspired by Lynch, and I think in constructing their mythology, accidentally tapped into what was the implicit scenario all along -- a neutral energy, corrupted by the ill omens of blood shed on the land. When I read the confirmation as much in SHOTP -- that line 'one day there would come a reckoning' -- I felt so validated!
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

laurasdiary wrote:what is the role of Indians in the twin peaks stories? I only wonder as Audrey Horne's brother had a fascination with them and then the little man ( the arm) in the lodge makes noise of Indians...
do you mean the "whoo whoo whoo" sound that the waiter and later the LMFAP make by clapping their hands against their mouths?
in the case of hank worden (the room service waiter), i always assumed it was a reference to worden's role in john ford's "the searchers" (1957). as his character in that film, mose harper, doesn't he do exactly the same thing when he mocks a native american raindance?

when micheal j anderson does it, i thought it was showing his kinship with the giant, to whom the waiter is host. however, in twin peaks, rather than mocking, it seems to me to be related to the sound of an electrical surge.
next step: rocket science!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

the woods wrote:
laurasdiary wrote:what is the role of Indians in the twin peaks stories? I only wonder as Audrey Horne's brother had a fascination with them and then the little man ( the arm) in the lodge makes noise of Indians...
do you mean the "whoo whoo whoo" sound that the waiter and later the LMFAP make by clapping their hands against their mouths?
in the case of hank worden (the room service waiter), i always assumed it was a reference to worden's role in john ford's "the searchers" (1957). as his character in that film, mose harper, doesn't he do exactly the same thing when he mocks a native american raindance?

when micheal j anderson does it, i thought it was showing his kinship with the giant, to whom the waiter is host. however, in twin peaks, rather than mocking, it seems to me to be related to the sound of an electrical surge.
If I remember rightly, the old man character uses some of the same dialogue as Hank Worden spoke in The Searchers.
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

i know he says, "thank you kindly" in a lot of stuff. but i wouldn't be surprised if there was more, or even other movie references...he's in an awful lot of movies! it's been a long time since i have seen the searchers.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I am an Indian :D
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

cool. i dreamed i was in india last night, but i was not sure exactly where. it must have been near the ocean, since i came by air but continued my journey by boat. there was an indoor ice skating rink in the hotel! the skaters were very talented. i was much younger in the dream.
unfortunately, there was some type of political unrest and an explosion underground. at first i thought it was an earthquake. there was a beautiful old building, possibly a religious center of some kind, that could be seen among mist and clouds. very intriguing, lovely and distant. i continued my journey and there was a very beautiful woman who was on the boat. by this time, it was night and the waves were absolutely black and quiet.

krishnanspace wrote:I am an Indian :D
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

the woods wrote:cool. i dreamed i was in india last night, but i was not sure exactly where. it must have been near the ocean, since i came by air but continued my journey by boat. there was an indoor ice skating rink in the hotel! the skaters were very talented. i was much younger in the dream.
unfortunately, there was some type of political unrest and an explosion underground. at first i thought it was an earthquake. there was a beautiful old building, possibly a religious center of some kind, that could be seen among mist and clouds. very intriguing, lovely and distant. i continued my journey and there was a very beautiful woman who was on the boat. by this time, it was night and the waves were absolutely black and quiet.

krishnanspace wrote:I am an Indian :D
Hahaha.Weird dream :D