Least Favorite Storyline in Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Least Favorite Storyline in Twin Peaks

Little Nicky
15%
James/Evelyn Marsh Storyline
34%
Ben Horne Civil War
15%
Audrey and John Wheeler
9%
Nadine in High School
9%
Packard/Eckhardt Battle
3%
Josie as a maid
1%
Leo as a vegetable
No votes
Donna and her true father
1%
Donna and James season two
3%
Milford/Lana
7%
Other (Please specify in comments)
4%

Total votes: 151
dud
RR Diner Member

Re: Least Favorite Storyline in Twin Peaks

Post by dud »

maybe an unpopular opinion, but i could not care less about the josie / eckhart / andrew stuff. on every rewatch i always hate it. really just didn't care about any of those characters at all. i would seriously take more evelyn marsh / little nicky/ ben civil war stuff in place of those three characters. the thing that's so annoying to me about that plot line is that you get little tidbits of it, revelations about that triangle peppered throughout the second season, and to me it always seems like they're presented to the audience like it's a big deal and we should care about it a lot (eg episodes concluding with a reveal about one of those characters) but it always ends up just making me frustrated because i couldn't care less about them lol. it's just so dragged out too. i genuinely like the super nadine / ben civil war stuff, and the nicky / evelyn marsh stuff isn't great but isn't as bad as people make it out to be i don't think.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Can I choose all of them? I still don't know how they did it, but it is some sort of hat trick... They managed to find the worst possible plot line for all characters in the show.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Audrey Horne wrote:Can I choose all of them? I still don't know how they did it, but it is some sort of hat trick... They managed to find the worst possible plot line for all characters in the show.
Bingo!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Let's not get carried away here, people :)
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

dud wrote:maybe an unpopular opinion, but i could not care less about the josie / eckhart / andrew stuff.
It took me a looooong time to appreciate any plots concerning the mill.
First the Catherine-Ben-Josie stuff bored me and then the later stuff with Eckhart perhaps bored me even more.
I remember enjoying the Lana and Little Nicky and even Evelyn Marsh stuff way more than whatever mill shenanigans were taking place.

Nowadays I tolerate it much more, but it's still a bit hard to watch in season 1 at times. I like the later mill stuff more.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

asmahan wrote:When I first watched the show I was genuinely worried that Nicky was going to be BOB's new host. In retrospect, I cannot hate Little Nicky, especially considering he has barely any screen time.
I agree, Nicky is in like two scenes. The plot is not very interesting but I don't find it unbearable either.
If they had taken the darker route and Nicky had indeed killed his parents I think it could have been a lot more interesting.
asmahan wrote:JJW and Audrey however... it's just painful to watch, Zane's character is bland has he is annoying, the arch goes on endlessly and you can tell they have zero chemistry together. James and Evelyn had a few scenes that were alright, and perhaps in more competent hands this would have been decent.
I don't know, I've been watching the JJW eps recently and I think he and Audrey look cute together. Zane is terrible in the role but the writing is not bad, I like the interaction between them. If only Zane wasn't so dorky.
Still I don't find it so bad in general.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Rami Airola wrote:
dud wrote:maybe an unpopular opinion, but i could not care less about the josie / eckhart / andrew stuff.
First the Catherine-Ben-Josie stuff bored me and then the later stuff with Eckhart perhaps bored me even more.
I remember enjoying the Lana and Little Nicky and even Evelyn Marsh stuff way more than whatever mill shenanigans were taking place.

Nowadays I tolerate it much more, but it's still a bit hard to watch in season 1 at times. I like the later mill stuff more.
Interesting I'm reverse here. I loved the burning of the mill storyline and the anticipation leading up to it that Ben and Josie were trying to murder Catherine. It was great television IMO. I thought the Andrew reveal to be handled a bit poorly. That's where the story went downhill for me and didn't pick up again until Ben played the pine weasel card for the rights to the land.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: I don't know, I've been watching the JJW eps recently and I think he and Audrey look cute together. Zane is terrible in the role but the writing is not bad, I like the interaction between them. If only Zane wasn't so dorky.
Still I don't find it so bad in general.
I think Zane does the best he can with what little he had to work with. Zane is a pretty good actor in other stuff (Dead Calm - in which he was really creepy, Titanic). He seems to work better as a villain than a good guy, though. Honestly I don't think it would have mattered what male actor was brought in to be Audrey's love interest - the fact that he wasn't Cooper was basically a no-win.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Rami Airola wrote:

Interesting I'm reverse here. I loved the burning of the mill storyline and the anticipation leading up to it that Ben and Josie were trying to murder Catherine. It was great television IMO. I thought the Andrew reveal to be handled a bit poorly. That's where the story went downhill for me and didn't pick up again until Ben played the pine weasel card for the rights to the land.
I agree, the Mill plot really crackled along nicely in the first Season....it went off the rails in Season 2. I still don't get why they had to bring Andrew into it talk about a jump a shark moment. (Again, I really like the actor that played Andrew, just not his storyline). And I agree about Pete's complacency in the whole thing.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Also, I really like the idea of Little Nicky being a host for BOB or maybe some of the other Lodge spirits. Talk about a terrifying possibility!
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Aerozhul wrote:Also, I really like the idea of Little Nicky being a host for BOB or maybe some of the other Lodge spirits. Talk about a terrifying possibility!
I don't know who came up with Little Nicky but I highly doubt it was Lynch or Frost. My guess is whoever did, did it as a potential side character to test the father qualities of Dick and Andy and then either by actor availability or Lynch/Frost axing it the story was dropped in a very weird way.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Audrey Horne wrote:Can I choose all of them? I still don't know how they did it, but it is some sort of hat trick... They managed to find the worst possible plot line for all characters in the show.
This.
I'll see you in the trees
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

for me it's the Nadine super-strength storyline, it's just HORRENDOUS in its execution.... i thought Nadine was a hilarious character in S1, ther drape runners schtick always have me laughling and the way she played that outragerous character with the eyepatch was just amazing. i even liked in the beginning of S2 when Lynch directed Everett McGill singing to her in bed during her coma and she suddenly started convulsing and ripped the restraining cuffs apart. That was actually quite creepy but it all Went downhill from there.

what i really dislike is that she is supposed to be 18 (obviously because they wanted to use her sexuality) but she plays the character like she's between 8 and 12 for the most part.. it's really ridiciolous.. on top of that, i think Badalamenti's music in those scenes are really weak, no mystery, no interest, no nothing. the scriptwriters did a bad job, the executive producers did a bad job, the studio musicians did a bad job and the actor did a bad job. Nightmares!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Aerozhul wrote: I think Zane does the best he can with what little he had to work with. Zane is a pretty good actor in other stuff (Dead Calm - in which he was really creepy, Titanic). He seems to work better as a villain than a good guy, though. Honestly I don't think it would have mattered what male actor was brought in to be Audrey's love interest - the fact that he wasn't Cooper was basically a no-win.
Yep, Zane is terrific in Dead Calm, which is one of my all time favorite films. I don't remember him very well in Titanic, I think I've only watched that film once. Not really my type of film TBH.
He is also pretty good in a 1998 John Landis comedy called 'Susan's Plan'. Lara Flynn Boyle is also in it and they're both hilarious.

Re Audrey and JJW, I don't think Zane worked in the role. I don't find him charming or sexy, just kind of dorky (that scene he sings to her, as Truman would say, "Good Lord..."). But I like Wheeler's interactions with her. They're both kind of stubborn, Audrey wants to be appreciated for who she is and Wheeler wants to be appreciated period, but Audrey won't give in. That kind of interaction would never happen with Cooper, so at least they tried a different angle. I kind of like it, it's not the disaster everyone says it is. But like you said, I guess the fans would have a problem with any actor who wasn't Kyle doing romantic scenes with her, so it was a no win case before it even began.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Aerozhul wrote: I think Zane does the best he can with what little he had to work with. Zane is a pretty good actor in other stuff (Dead Calm - in which he was really creepy, Titanic). He seems to work better as a villain than a good guy, though. Honestly I don't think it would have mattered what male actor was brought in to be Audrey's love interest - the fact that he wasn't Cooper was basically a no-win.
Yep, Zane is terrific in Dead Calm, which is one of my all time favorite films. I don't remember him very well in Titanic, I think I've only watched that film once. Not really my type of film TBH.
He is also pretty good in a 1998 John Landis comedy called 'Susan's Plan'. Lara Flynn Boyle is also in it and they're both hilarious.

Re Audrey and JJW, I don't think Zane worked in the role. I don't find him charming or sexy, just kind of dorky (that scene he sings to her, as Truman would say, "Good Lord..."). But I like Wheeler's interactions with her. They're both kind of stubborn, Audrey wants to be appreciated for who she is and Wheeler wants to be appreciated period, but Audrey won't give in. That kind of interaction would never happen with Cooper, so at least they tried a different angle. I kind of like it, it's not the disaster everyone says it is. But like you said, I guess the fans would have a problem with any actor who wasn't Kyle doing romantic scenes with her, so it was a no win case before it even began.
Another problem I see with it (I'm rewatching these episodes now) is that both Wheeler and Audrey fall for each other way too quickly. Annie and Cooper did also, but at least there they did a better job of selling it, probably mostly because of Kyle's abilities. I believe the Annie/Coop romance, no matter how absurd it is, but I don't believe Wheeler and Audrey because there's definitely charm and attraction there on both sides, but love after 2-3 days? Don't believe it.