Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

freeek
Roadhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by freeek »

djerdap wrote:Nah. Feel and mood of Inland Empire? Sure, to an extent (although Mulholland Dr. was mentioned more often). Visual style? Hardly anyone was thinking that Twin Peaks will be shot in cheap digital, which is what I was referring to.
Actually, that part in the EW feature is worrying me a bit :
142-day shoot in various cities (no, Twin Peaks 2.0 doesn’t take place exclusively in Twin Peaks) using Lynch’s fave new tool, digital cameras
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Not the most flattering shot of Peggy Lipton (who is still a beautiful woman -- that light does her no favors). Otherwise, this is perfect. Big Ed more craggy than ever, Hawk looks glorious with his white mane. It's so incredible that these characters are no longer frozen in time.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

freeek wrote:
djerdap wrote:Nah. Feel and mood of Inland Empire? Sure, to an extent (although Mulholland Dr. was mentioned more often). Visual style? Hardly anyone was thinking that Twin Peaks will be shot in cheap digital, which is what I was referring to.
Actually, that part in the EW feature is worrying me a bit :
142-day shoot in various cities (no, Twin Peaks 2.0 doesn’t take place exclusively in Twin Peaks) using Lynch’s fave new tool, digital cameras
Professional digital cameras. Which is the norm today, with some notable exceptions like films of Tarantino, Nolan or Paul Thomas Anderson.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

freeek wrote:Actually, that part in the EW feature is worrying me a bit :
There's nothing to worry about. Everything on TV is shot on digital these days, and while you can argue that digital is too flat and sleek or that it loses the tangible feel of film grain, digital is capable of great beauty if used properly. At any rate, there is zero chance this thing will look like IE. It's being shot with professional cameras, not with the PD-150s on IE (which were consumer-grade, and not even high-end consumer grade).
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Twin Peaks was shot with an Arri camera, a standard digital camera for TV. Peter Deming is a fantastic cinematographer. It's going to look amazing.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote:
LateReg wrote:At any rate, the season 2 finale and FWWM don't exactly feel like Twin Peaks
To me they do.

The show is going to be light and dark. Some of the cast pictured apparently have featured roles. These pix send a specific message of the preexisting warm color and tone.

I think any people insisting the show will be either a) exactly the same and only about fan service or b) totally different, super-dark and relegating the veterans to cameos/subplots while getting away from all that silly shit from before will be utterly disappointed. It's not going to be a nostalgia tour, but it's not gonna be like 'oh, here's the real Twin Peaks' either. Lynch clearly loves the place and characters and he chose to go back. The truth is likely in the middle - I think longtime fans who love these characters will be more than satisfied.
That's not what I meant. I just meant that the vibe of these photos is pure surface Twin Peaks, i.e. quirky and warm small town, and that alone shouldn't be taken to mean that the show won't eventually abstract itself for long stretches at a time like LH/MD/IE. When I brought up the finale and FWWM, I only meant that those hours are so extreme that they push Twin Peaks to new extremes, and that they themselves were progenitors of Lynch's later films...and in that way, they don't exactly feel like Twin Peaks. They still fit squarely within what Twin Peaks encapsulates, no doubt, which is light and dark. But, here we have a Lynch who has already traveled so much further with his triptych of freakouts, so it seems that this new series may very well push Twin Peaks to even new extremes and further into the realm of LH/MD/IE...which were no doubt born from the Red Room and FWWM in the first place. And while I think FWWM does fit within the Twin Peaks universe and serves its purpose very well, we can't forget if this new series was solely like FWWM, that it wouldn't feel like Twin Peaks to most people who shunned the film when it was first released on the basis of it not feeling like Twin Peaks. That's all I meant by the finale and FWWM not feeling exactly like Twin Peaks. They're the definition of the freakouts that Lynch spent the rest of his career putting on film.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

To all those worried about the visual quality of the new show. Just look at the teasers. Dale emerging from the darkness, and the foggy country road. The show will look beautiful, I'm sure.

I don't think showtime would accept the dirty grainy look of IE for their new twin peaks.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Panapaok wrote:Twin Peaks was shot with an Arri camera, a standard digital camera for TV. Peter Deming is a fantastic cinematographer. It's going to look amazing.
Also a good point. IE didn't even have a cinematographer (or, rather, DKL was his own cinmemtographer).
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Went to a large supermarket and a CVS drug store today and neither even had Entertainment weekly magazine... :(

Hoping that maybe they either sold out of last weeks issue or took it off the shelf in anticipation for this weeks but I was surprised and disappointed to find out they didn't have it. I live in a large suburb of an east coast city as well so it's not as if I'm out in the country.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I think it's worth noting that while IE doesn't have a credit for cinematographer, it does for additional lighting, which includes Peter Deming as first bill.
Last edited by AXX°N N. on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ross wrote:
up4dabah wrote:James Marshall looks unwell :?
He does look very thin here. I know James has had some health problems in the past.
His front teeth look very yellow in the video
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

The ultra bright of both the video and the stills are not a reflection of how the finished product will look. Lighting, color timing and other post production touches will put the look right where it needs to be.

And the ultra bright was very unflattering to all of the actors. James is doing well.

Beautifully and conspicuously absent is Ray Wise, whom I was remiss in suggesting as someone who may also have a substantial role. He is, in my opinion, far and away the best actor of the entire series and there's no way Lynch would squander that talent.

The surprising Reddit AMA confirmed the oft-rumored delving into the Black Lodge. It's not enough of a public revelation for folks to go into detail due to the continued spoiler embargo, but it's a nice taste. Will we see the White Lodge finally? I'm wondering if that's perhaps the biggest secret of Season 3.

-Mordeen

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not hinting at anything in this post so please, mods and others, don't take it as such. I literally have no idea about Ray or the White Lodge so don't ban or PM me please.
Moving Through Time. . .
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Some thoughts on the magazine cover...

- The look on Sheryl Lee's face is giving me chills.
- I'm wondering if the imagery on the magazine cover has any bearing on the story?
Like, does the fact that Shelly is holding a Blue Rose mean her character will have a connection to the lodges? Does Audrey still love Cooper? Are Ed & Nadine still together?
(My guess would be that the Blue rose will be in the new series but they likely just got Madchen to hold it for aesthetic purposes since it matches the diner uniform, but who knows?)
- Despite the harsh lighting, I think everyone looks really good. Ms Lipton especially.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

djerdap wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:I'm just glad that, as I'd always thought, this looks like Twin Peaks. It was always pretty hard for me to figure out why so many fans were expecting it to resemble Inland Empire or have a radically different tone, or any number of wacky theories I've seen the last couple of years. We all knew what Twin Peaks was and looked like, and here it is, lush, warm, and cozy, just like always.
I haven't seen any comment that it will resemble like Inland Empire. It was clear from the get-go that Lynch won't go back to that visual style. And you really can't judge the overall tone from 9 still photographs. The teaser had a very Lost Highwayish vibe for instance, but that is also too short to draw any big conclusions.

What is telling that there were 400-500 pages of script and there is approximately 18 hours of footage. That is very disproportionate to the usual minute-per-page model and more akin to Lynch's more surreal work than Twin Peaks, which was mostly dialogue-driven in its storytelling (apart from the insane episode 29 and Fire Walk With Me to an extent). The jury is still out on this, but Lynch is a very different filmmaker now than he was in 1990 and I don't think a comfortable return to Twin Peaks of old is a likely option.
I think it's extremely likely. That's the point. That's why he's revived it. An exact Lynch quote "I love Twin Peaks and it's world."

As far as it resembling Lost Highway...how? Because Coop walks out of a shadow and there are night shots? Then it resembles Blue Velvet too. I don't even know what people have been going on about the last several months. We know what the characters look like. We know what the town looks like. We know Lynch employs deep blacks and luscious, super saturated colors. Therefore we've known all along what to expect. I've even seen people on this board who claim to be in the know make statements like "if you think it's going to look like the TP you remember, you may be very disappointed." Looks like Twin Peaks to me.
Last edited by Dead Dog on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
up4dabah

Post by up4dabah »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Ross wrote:
up4dabah wrote:James Marshall looks unwell :?
He does look very thin here. I know James has had some health problems in the past.
His front teeth look very yellow in the video
Aslo the colouring uner his eyes. Makeup isn't concealing it.
Last edited by up4dabah on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.