Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Dead Dog »

Agent Earle wrote:
djerdap wrote: I haven't seen any comment that it will resemble like Inland Empire.
If you're referring to comments posted on this forum, you must've been dozing a lot when browsing through it. There most certainly were comments with that exact claim/prediction or with a claim/prediction very closely to that effect. Betcha they were.
Yep, there were. And they were ridiculous and nausea inducing.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Bloodflood wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:I'm just glad that, as I'd always thought, this looks like Twin Peaks. It was always pretty hard for me to figure out why so many fans were expecting it to resemble Inland Empire or have a radically different tone, or any number of wacky theories I've seen the last couple of years. We all knew what Twin Peaks was and looked like, and here it is, lush, warm, and cozy, just like always.
Yeah, but they are pictures from another camera with another lenses. You can't really tell how it's going to be.
Sure you can. Look at the production stills and stop over thinking it. Same costumes, same characters, same town, same director. Doesn't matter that they were captured with a different camera, its pretty damn obvious this looks like TP, imagine that.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

up4dabah wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Ross wrote: He does look very thin here. I know James has had some health problems in the past.
His front teeth look very yellow in the video
Aslo the colouring uner his eyes. Makeup isn't concealing it.
So what? They've all aged, it's what human beings do.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Dead Dog wrote:I think it's extremely likely. That's the point. That's why he's revived it. An exact Lynch quote "I love Twin Peaks and it's world." As far as it resembling Lost Highway...how? Because Coop walks out of a shadow and there are nught shots? Then it resembles Blue Velvet too. I don't even know what people have been going on about the last several months. We know what the characters look like. We know what the town looks like. We know Lynch employs deep blacks and luscious, super saturated colors. Therefore we've known all along what to expect. I've even seen people on this board who claim to be in the know make statements like "if you think it's going to look like the TP you remember, you may be very disappointed. Looks like Twin Peaks to me.
From nine still photographs that intentionally (and probably misleadingly) evoke nostalgia there is nothing to conclude. Lynch is not somebody who wants to repeat himself. The cinematographer is different than the original show. There are 150 new actors. There were various reports from insiders on this board that it will be a different beast for sure, but with certain familiarity thrown in for good measure (which is something that would suit me just fine). Numerous locations around the US and beyond were used and we have confirmation from the press that ... is an important location for the plot. I would go into more reasons but that would be going into spoiler territory. What more do you need to see that it's not going to be that simple?

I am not even trying to sound like Twin Peaks (the town) doesn't matter. Of course it's essential to have it in the overall picture, but I for one am excited to see where else the journey will take Cooper.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
up4dabah

Post by up4dabah »

Dead Dog wrote:
up4dabah wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
He's aged well enough. I'm just saying the guy looks unwell.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

djerdap wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:I think it's extremely likely. That's the point. That's why he's revived it. An exact Lynch quote "I love Twin Peaks and it's world." As far as it resembling Lost Highway...how? Because Coop walks out of a shadow and there are nught shots? Then it resembles Blue Velvet too. I don't even know what people have been going on about the last several months. We know what the characters look like. We know what the town looks like. We know Lynch employs deep blacks and luscious, super saturated colors. Therefore we've known all along what to expect. I've even seen people on this board who claim to be in the know make statements like "if you think it's going to look like the TP you remember, you may be very disappointed. Looks like Twin Peaks to me.
From nine still photographs that intentionally (and probably misleadingly) evoke nostalgia there is nothing to conclude. Lynch is not somebody who wants to repeat himself. The cinematographer is different than the original show. There are 150 new actors. There were various reports from insiders on this board that it will be a different beast for sure, but with certain familiarity thrown in for good measure (which is something that would suit me just fine). Numerous locations around the US and beyond were used and we have confirmation from the press that ... is an important location for the plot. I would go into more reasons but that would be going into spoiler territory. What more do you need to see that it's not going to be that simple?

I am not even trying to sound like Twin Peaks (the town) doesn't matter. Of course it's essential to have it in the overall picture, but I for one am excited to see where else the journey will take Cooper.
Ahhh, so now a director who has always been obsessed with nostalgia and pastiche is "intentionally misleading" us with faked nostalgia in production stills from a series that is known for revelling in pastiche and nostalgia? Seriously man.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Dead Dog wrote:
up4dabah wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Yeah, we're bashing the guy because he looks old :roll:
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

djerdap wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
djerdap wrote: I haven't seen any comment that it will resemble like Inland Empire.
If you're referring to comments posted on this forum, you must've been dozing a lot when browsing through it. There most certainly were comments with that exact claim/prediction or with a claim/prediction very closely to that effect. Betcha they were.
Nah. Feel and mood of Inland Empire? Sure, to an extent (although Mulholland Dr. was mentioned more often). Visual style? Hardly anyone was thinking that Twin Peaks will be shot in cheap digital, which is what I was referring to.
Why would a new TP season have the mood and feel of IE? That's a film completely in the head of an unreliable narrator with a fractured psyche and no sense of reality. Twin Peaks is an ensemble piece with a large variety of storylines from a large number of characters' points of view. Not even remotely similar.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

This is the best TP news day in months and folks are already finding reasons to argue over it.

Ahh, internet.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Maybe this will bring some smiles.
Laura and Dale 2017 Updated.jpg
Laura and Dale 2017 Updated.jpg (200.68 KiB) Viewed 9363 times
-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Dead Dog wrote: Ahhh, so now a director who has always been obsessed with nostalgia and pastiche is "intentionally misleading" us with faked nostalgia in production stills from a series that is known for revelling in pastiche and nostalgia? Seriously man.
Sigh. Nevermind you're talking about two different things (one is nostalgia from a visual point of view, other is nostalgia in terms of plot, character and tone), but if you think that just because certain characters have their old clothes on, this is just going to be a simple return to the old Twin Peaks, I think you're working on a serious confirmation bias. I guess time will tell.

There have been countless hints from people in the know here that there is going to be a lot of different, new and fresh stuff this time around. And why is this a bad thing to be upset about? The town will get its due, and Nevins couldn't be more clear that it's about Cooper's odyssey back to Twin Peaks. It's just that it is very likely, according to so much data we have acquired so far, that this odyssey will involve lots of new characters, new locations, new roads to take. I for one am excited by these prospects.

To your other question - I don't claim that it will resemble Inland Empire. That reply was that there might have been thoughts here from others on the feel and mood of new TP.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

The aesthetic at least will be different just because Deming is there now instead of Byers.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

djerdap wrote:
Dead Dog wrote: Ahhh, so now a director who has always been obsessed with nostalgia and pastiche is "intentionally misleading" us with faked nostalgia in production stills from a series that is known for revelling in pastiche and nostalgia? Seriously man.
Sigh. Nevermind you're talking about two different things (one is nostalgia from a visual point of view, other is nostalgia in terms of plot, character and tone), but if you think that just because certain characters have their old clothes on, this is just going to be a simple return to the old Twin Peaks, I think you're working on a serious confirmation bias. I guess time will tell.

There have been countless hints from people in the know here that there is going to be a lot of different, new and fresh stuff this time around. And why is this a bad thing to be upset about? The town will get its due, and Nevins couldn't be more clear that it's about Cooper's odyssey back to Twin Peaks. It's just that it is very likely, according to so much data we have acquired so far, that this odyssey will involve lots of new characters, new locations, new roads to take. I for one am excited by these prospects.

To your other question - I don't claim that it will resemble Inland Empire. That reply was that there might have been thoughts here from others on the feel and mood of new TP.
This topic has been talked to death on here. I think some of all of this is true. I don't believe the show will be less than 50% about the town and with no disrespect to the insiders on here I just don't buy that. However I do agree a solid portion of the show will take place outside of Twin Peaks not unlike it did in FWWM. For instance Philadelphia in the FBI headquarters. I don't know if it's still there in the new show but I bet wherever it is we will spend more time there. And we know it will take place a bit in Vegas. I do think with the exceptions of a few of the A-listers like Dern and Watts that a majority of the stories side plots will be involved with Twin Peaks Originals and not new characters. I think a lot of the newer actors are just in for a cameo or additions to all ready established characters.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

I'm very curious about the music as well. I wonder if they will use any of the original songs from the series or even original and remastered by Angelo or if it will be similar to Lost Highway which was a lot more Gothic and heavy. I think Highway though was a bit of sign of the times. With people like Marilyn Manson being very in then. Hoping the soundtrack wherever the scenes take place is similar to Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet and Mulhollland Drive those are easily Badalamenti's best soundtracks.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

WhiteLodge90 wrote: I don't believe the show will be less than 50% about the town and with no disrespect to the insiders on here I just don't buy that.
The show will be 100% about the town. The show will not be 100% in the town. I think Nevins couldn't have put it more succinctly with the odyssey quote.

I guess Deer Meadow/Philadelphia in FWWM might serve as a decent analogy.