Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by underthefan »

I think the reason why many people (especially those in the know) are so insistent about new TP feeling like a different beast and having a lot of plot take action outside of the town is to temper expectations and prepare people for what is coming in order to avoid another FWWM disaster: that is, coming in with a set of preconceived expectations and then being disappointed and enraged when they are not fulfilled ("wah, wah, I didn't get what I wanted so I'm just gonna shit on it, regardless of its quality"). As if Lynch has ever been particularly interested in fulfilling others' expectations...
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

underthefan wrote:I think the reason why many people (especially those in the know) are so insistent about new TP feeling like a different beast and having a lot of plot take action outside of the town is to temper expectations and prepare people for what is coming in order to avoid another FWWM disaster: that is, coming in with a set of preconceived expectations and then being disappointed and enraged when they are not fulfilled ("wah, wah, I didn't get what I wanted so I'm just gonna shit on it, regardless of its quality"). As if Lynch has ever been particularly interested in fulfilling others' expectations...
Give me a break dude. Lynch isn't a moron and likely learned from his experiences with FWWM. He also has Frost who sat with him on skype for three years writing the scrips. Anyone who thinks they know the whole tone of the entire series is either lying or was directly on set the whole time and is thus a very good insider and breaking a contract they signed to keep quiet. I do believe there are solid insiders on here that have great information. But your idea of it being a radically different show is just not true. It will be slightly different of course but not a completely different show where FWWM (despite it being an enjoyable film) was a complete change in vibe. I think from listening to Nevins and cast members that the show will be a blend of OG Twin Peaks and some nuances of FWWM (IE different locations etc)
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
underthefan wrote:I think the reason why many people (especially those in the know) are so insistent about new TP feeling like a different beast and having a lot of plot take action outside of the town is to temper expectations and prepare people for what is coming in order to avoid another FWWM disaster: that is, coming in with a set of preconceived expectations and then being disappointed and enraged when they are not fulfilled ("wah, wah, I didn't get what I wanted so I'm just gonna shit on it, regardless of its quality"). As if Lynch has ever been particularly interested in fulfilling others' expectations...
Give me a break dude. Lynch isn't a moron and likely learned from his experiences with FWWM. He also has Frost who sat with him on skype for three years writing the scrips. Anyone who thinks they know the whole tone of the entire series is either lying or was directly on set the whole time and is thus a very good insider and breaking a contract they signed to keep quiet. I do believe there are solid insiders on here that have great information. But your idea of it being a radically different show is just not true. It will be slightly different of course but not a completely different show where FWWM (despite it being an enjoyable film) was a complete change in vibe. I think from listening to Nevins and cast members that the show will be a blend of OG Twin Peaks and some nuances of FWWM (IE different locations etc)
Where did I say "radically different"? Like you said, give me a break, dude. :roll:
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I think the comparisons to Lost Highway and IE have mostly been people speculating about the story and concepts rather than about visual style. My guess is this will be much more... complicated and less straight forward than the original in terms of story.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

underthefan wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Where did I say "radically different"? Like you said, give me a break, dude. :roll:
You didn't say those exact words but others on here have and you definitely hinted that it's a sure thing the show will be different in tone. I think it will be different but also the same. This is foreign territory for Lynch. He's never done a continuation of something he did twenty five years earlier. So anyone thinking they know the whole tone of the show was either on set the entire time or embellishing.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
But why do you think it won't be more like FWWM than the original series? Isn't that a possibility? Tone is everything and I'd be surprised if Lynch could automatically conjure the Twin Peaks tone after having journeyed so far with films like Lost Highway and Inland Empire. That's why I think it's very likely that FWWM's tone is just as much a possibility as the original series'. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, I'm just going off Lynch's trajectory.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Ross wrote:I think the comparisons to Lost Highway and IE have mostly been people speculating about the story and concepts rather than about visual style. My guess is this will be much more... complicated and less straight forward than the original in terms of story.
I agree it will be a bit more complicated. I think in terms of plot strucute and complication the order in terms of simplicty would likely go

Blue Velvet, Wild At Heart, Twin Peaks, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Inland Empire.

I think the new series will probably fall somewhere in between Twin Peaks's TV run and Mulholland Drive in terms of being a straight forward story.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

LateReg wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
But why do you think it won't be more like FWWM than the original series? Isn't that a possibility? Tone is everything and I'd be surprised if Lynch could automatically conjure the Twin Peaks tone after having journeyed so far with films like Lost Highway and Inland Empire. That's why I think it's very likely that FWWM's tone is just as much a possibility as the original series'. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, I'm just going off Lynch's trajectory.
A fair point but the reason I don't believe that is because FWWM was largely lacking in humor. Doesn't make it a bad thing just a fact. 95% of any humor that took place in the movie was in the prologue with the agents. The movie also lacked a lot OG characters that will have some prominent roles in the new show. This is why it won't be more like FWWM. I think the overall feel of Twin Peaks will not be lost just due to the fact that Lynch made two movies that were very chaotic in plot. I think it will be a pretty nice blend of all of the above. Obviously a lot of the darker and vulgar stuff from FWWM will be incorporated just on the simple fact it will be on Showtime and not ABC.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Panapaok wrote:
mfleite wrote:
Panapaok wrote:James is in the Roadhouse in that pic, right? And Denise in the court.

Denise in court solidifies the rumor from a few months ago in this forum.
Yup, I remember. :wink:
What was this rumor? Missed that one, would like to hear in a PM :P
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

Wow. To see the red room again and the cast in it is almost too much for me.

About James Marshall, honestly, he looks beautiful. He was always one of the most boring character of the original show IMO, the cute and perfect boyfriend, so to find himself after all this time so transformed, skinny and bald, says a lot about this character. It's like his look is now a reflect of how he really was inside all of this time (and how he used to sing !).

More generally, I'm a bit surprised of how old they all look. And I don't want to be mean. It's like it was almost made on purpose... Fenn looks at least 5 years younger on her twitter pictures, and it's a bit strange since you can expect a lot of photoshop and makeup for an Entertainment Weekly cover. So yeah, it's like the show is going to play totally on how much the cast has grown old. And it's also pretty coherent with the fact that Cooper is at least 5 years older than MacLachlan (I don't remember exactly how much), which is so rare for an actor to play an older character than himself.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Just a head's up, the Hurleys cover is a Barnes and Noble exclusive the contents page says at the bottom!
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

This pic on Reddit shows a little bit of the article, complete with cookie-cutter FWWM bashing. Yikes.

On a brighter note, it looks like Kmac had lots of fun playing evil.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Just a head's up, the Hurley's cover is a Barnes and Noble exclusive the contents page says at the bottom!

Thanks! I'll check one out tomorrow. Wonder if the other two are exclusives to certain stores as well?
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Just to clarify, I don't think the new show will be radically different than the old one, but I do think it will be different simply due to passing of time and Lynch and Frost's artistic growth, which would be inevitable for any show, really, after nearly 30 years. I don't think we should jump to any conclusions based on the EW promo or the teasers we got so far. My personal thinking is it will probably be a combination of the original TP, FWWM, and Lynch's post-FWWM work. I just don't want to hear people whining because it doesn't fulfill the expectations they had, which is still to this day the main complaint about FWWM.

Also, on a side note, I recently went to two screenings of FWWM and based on audience's reactions, there were plenty of moments that caused laughter, even in Laura's section of the film (like "Life of full of mysteries, Donna," or "I'll meet you in 15 minutes" scenes).
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Just a head's up, the Hurley's cover is a Barnes and Noble exclusive the contents page says at the bottom!

Thanks! I'll check one out tomorrow. Wonder if the other two are exclusives to certain stores as well?
Nope, just that one!