Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

djerdap
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by djerdap »

MacLachlan enjoyed playing Cooper's dark side.

No surprise there! As I've stated before, I think this is going to be his Fire Walk With Me in terms of performance intensity and the emotional arc for the character.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
LateReg wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Give me a break dude. Lynch isn't a moron and likely learned from his experiences with FWWM. He also has Frost who sat with him on skype for three years writing the scrips. Anyone who thinks they know the whole tone of the entire series is either lying or was directly on set the whole time and is thus a very good insider and breaking a contract they signed to keep quiet. I do believe there are solid insiders on here that have great information. But your idea of it being a radically different show is just not true. It will be slightly different of course but not a completely different show where FWWM (despite it being an enjoyable film) was a complete change in vibe. I think from listening to Nevins and cast members that the show will be a blend of OG Twin Peaks and some nuances of FWWM (IE different locations etc)
But why do you think it won't be more like FWWM than the original series? Isn't that a possibility? Tone is everything and I'd be surprised if Lynch could automatically conjure the Twin Peaks tone after having journeyed so far with films like Lost Highway and Inland Empire. That's why I think it's very likely that FWWM's tone is just as much a possibility as the original series'. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, I'm just going off Lynch's trajectory.
A fair point but the reason I don't believe that is because FWWM was largely lacking in humor. Doesn't make it a bad thing just a fact. 95% of any humor that took place in the movie was in the prologue with the agents. The movie also lacked a lot OG characters that will have some prominent roles in the new show. This is why it won't be more like FWWM. I think the overall feel of Twin Peaks will not be lost just due to the fact that Lynch made two movies that were very chaotic in plot. I think it will be a pretty nice blend of all of the above. Obviously a lot of the darker and vulgar stuff from FWWM will be incorporated just on the simple fact it will be on Showtime and not ABC.
I get what you're saying, but it's not quite what I'm saying. I'm not thinking strictly about plot or the level of vulgarity; after all, Twin Peaks is mighty confusing to piece together as it already is! I'm talking more about the tone of the filmmaking itself.

Like you implied, I believe the new show could bounce between the exact feel of the original and then go off the deep end for many minutes at a time. I think it could be the two extremes, incorporating both the warm vibe of the original series and the chaos of its darker moments and beyond (i.e., as far out as Inland Empire). But what I'm getting at regarding Fire Walk With Me is that while it does have a bit less humor, it also has less quirk to fully display what humor there is (and I definitely think there is humor in the second half of the film). I think it's perfectly possible that this new series takes on a tone more like that of FWWM and still filters the humor through that darker, leaner tone. Take Fast Eddie in Lost Highway, talking about "smooth as shit from a duck's ass." That's hilarious, and I think that's an example of how a Twin Peaks more tonally similar to FWWM or Lost Highway could still be hilarious. It's not just about a chaotic plot or humorous characters, but how the film looks, sounds and feels on an aesthetic level (which is what I think most people are referring to when they say the shot of Cooper emerging from the darkness in the teaser reminds them of Lost Highway, despite not knowing how its scored yet). Like you said, it will probably be a mix of many things. As for my premature observation, I just don't know that Lynch can return to something so warm after years of movies that were far cooler. But then again, he did make The Straight Story in between Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, which invalidates my point. But I do think that there will be long stretches at a time that resemble a nightmare, and depending on how convoluted those nightmares get, I do think there's a great possibility vast portions of the show may not feel like Twin Peaks, or at least will feel like Twin Peaks pushed past its most extreme point.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Panapaok wrote:In the right side of this picture, there's a framed picture of what looks like a little girl under a christmas tree. Maybe their daughter?
I would say it's not clear if that's a boy, girl, Andy or Lucy but there's definitely a person there! Haha.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Quite some time ago, a forum insider who is no longer posting here said, that all the money goes in front of the camera. Today, I'm glad to see that this is indeed true. The production values look terrific. Beautiful sets and wonderul costumes.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Panapaok wrote:Quite some time ago, a forum insider who is no longer posting here said, that all the money goes in front of the camera. Today, I'm glad to see that this is indeed true. The production values look terrific. Beautiful sets and wonderul costumes.
Yep, looks that way.
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

Panapaok wrote:Quite some time ago, a forum insider who is no longer posting here said, that all the money goes in front of the camera. Today, I'm glad to see that this is indeed true. The production values look terrific. Beautiful sets and wonderul costumes.
Totally agree. The aesthetic is gorgeous. Seeing that photo of Hawk finally made it all sink in for me.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

underthefan wrote:Just to clarify, I don't think the new show will be radically different than the old one, but I do think it will be different simply due to passing of time and Lynch and Frost's artistic growth
I pretty much agree there. I don't think they will want to do a 180. How the product turns out is a different matter.

It's important to point out that "radically different" is completely subjective.

There are so many things we don't know at this point, but even the few things we absolutely know hint at a very different experience for me.
Others may not feel that way due to different perceptions.

For me, seeing the cast look like their own parents , going from essentially a youth/teen oriented show to a show featuring the oldest cast on TV does change the "vibe", the feel a hell of a lot. Inevitably.

So it will feel very different to me just per default, because ironically almost all of the originally cast will be shoehorned in. And for them to have any kind of meaningful part, you automatically get a very high average age of the cast.
That is a choice.

For the record, I don't want this post to read like ageism. It isn't. I'm simply talking about "different", not better or worse.

The colors of the set shots (if anything to go by, but let's assume it *ONLY* for the sake of argument) give me a very different vibe as well. Others have said that they feel they are spot on, bringing them right back ....

In other words, it truly depends on how sensitive you are to these things, whether you will consider the new show an extremely different vibe. How much of the magic for you is found in the details and in the specific when it comes to TP, or things in general, and how much is in the broad strokes.

So there is little sense in arguing about it, like I've seen in this thread. We all have a different threshold.

Watching the show, I won't focus on how much it differs from the old show. At least I will try hard to avoid that.
I'll simply take it as it's own experience, and I can't wait for it.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

It truly does look perfect.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Just a head's up, the Hurley's cover is a Barnes and Noble exclusive the contents page says at the bottom!

Thanks! I'll check one out tomorrow. Wonder if the other two are exclusives to certain stores as well?
I went to B&N today looking for the magazine, and it wasn't there.
CooperDog

Post by CooperDog »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Just a head's up, the Hurleys cover is a Barnes and Noble exclusive the contents page says at the bottom!
I just ordered all three from EW for about $17 including shipping. Hopefully they arrive in good shape...
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

I CANT FIND THE WAY TO POST A PICTURE! I used to know how to do it.... but now... i cant find the way
dugpa
Site Admin

Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Post by dugpa »

Official Thread
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

The term was "ghetto" off screen budget, IIRC. Just sayin'.

There's a lot of money in front of the camera. A SHITLOAD. Rejoice. Smile. Less than 60 days away.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Post by Mordeen »

Woot it's official. Post those mag pics.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I couldn't find the magazine today so I haven't seen the article, but Beano posted this quote on Twitter:
"Nevins says it will resemble both a serialized soap opera and the more abstract storytelling of lost highway."
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/