Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Post by dugpa »

I'm always going to be in the camp that loves FWWM to the point that I feel it makes the entire series better because it exists. Even moreso now that the Missing Pieces have been released.

I agree that a lot of folks will be unhappy with the new series if it sways too far towards FWWM. If it does that then I'll be a happy camper.
tid

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Post by tid »

Jerry Horne wrote:
tid wrote:Is any tech savvy members of this forum able to rip and download the 40 minute special and post a link here please?
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =15#p70898
Thank you, much appreciated!
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by laughingpinecone »

beano wrote:
Ross wrote:I couldn't find the magazine today so I haven't seen the article, but Beano posted this quote on Twitter:
"Nevins says it will resemble both a serialized soap opera and the more abstract storytelling of lost highway."
Here is the exact quote from the article:

"Will it resemble the serialized soap opera of the original or the fractured, abstract storytelling of Lynch's 1997 psycho-thriller Lost Highway? 'The honest answer is both,' says David Nevins, chief operating officer of Showtime. Adds president of programming Gary Levine, 'There's a compelling spine through the story, yet there are diversions, tangents, fantasy.'"
Leading question then, Nevins himself didn't come up with either reference. All he and Levine really say is it's not completely abstract and not completely grounded either. Not a big addition to Frost's old metaphor of a "strong central path through the woods", is it! Thank you for the direct quote! I hope the full article will be soon available to non-Americans...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Jacob wrote:More generally, I'm a bit surprised of how old they all look. And I don't want to be mean. It's like it was almost made on purpose... Fenn looks at least 5 years younger on her twitter pictures, and it's a bit strange since you can expect a lot of photoshop and makeup for an Entertainment Weekly cover. So yeah, it's like the show is going to play totally on how much the cast has grown old. And it's also pretty coherent with the fact that Cooper is at least 5 years older than MacLachlan (I don't remember exactly how much), which is so rare for an actor to play an older character than himself.
I find magazine covers are often awkward like that when it comes to older actors. They put loads of make-up on them and do tons of photoshop to try and make them look younger. What ends up happening is they make their features too harsh, so they end up looking weird and even older.

About the tone of the show, I'm surprised how similar it seems it will be to the original series, but I certainly don't mind either way. It will make those shocking moments stand out. A lot of those show like Game of Thrones get criticism for relying too much on shock value.
bespincrawler

Post by bespincrawler »

Jacob wrote: More generally, I'm a bit surprised of how old they all look. And I don't want to be mean. It's like it was almost made on purpose... Fenn looks at least 5 years younger on her twitter pictures, and it's a bit strange since you can expect a lot of photoshop and makeup for an Entertainment Weekly cover. So yeah, it's like the show is going to play totally on how much the cast has grown old. And it's also pretty coherent with the fact that Cooper is at least 5 years older than MacLachlan (I don't remember exactly how much), which is so rare for an actor to play an older character than himself.
I think something else to take into consideration here is exactly when this photoshoot took place. Idk if they're all this way, but when EW did the photoshoot for their issue covering the Gilmore Girls revival this past year, they did it a few weeks before the revival aired, long after the episodes had been filmed. One of the things that makes me think that could be the case here is that I remember Sherilyn put out a selfie on twitter/instagram about a year ago of herself dressed as Audrey in the new episodes and, though she was wearing the same outfit she's wearing here, her hair was completely different, a lot shorter than it is in this video, and her makeup was more subtle. Also, I think someone else who saw some of the filming going on commented that Madchen looks different in this video than she did on set. So i'm thinking it's possible that this photoshoot was done pretty recently and isn't indicative of how the character's will exactly look in the new season.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

dugpa wrote:I'm always going to be in the camp that loves FWWM to the point that I feel it makes the entire series better because it exists. Even moreso now that the Missing Pieces have been released.

I agree that a lot of folks will be unhappy with the new series if it sways too far towards FWWM. If it does that then I'll be a happy camper.
I'd rather take a sway towards FWWM than one towards the bad stretch of season 2. But ideally I'd take something that at least, if nothing else, borrows the style of dialogue from the series. FWWM was severely lacking in Mark Frost's and Harvey Peyton's dialogue writing abilities. It had a very blunt unsubtle and expressionist kind of dialogue that is all fun and all great in small parts, but I don't want it to define the upcoming series. I want to add though that if it contains small amounts of it (and I believe it will) I have absolutely no problem with it.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Agent327 wrote:The colors of the set shots give me a very different vibe as well.
Same.
dugpa wrote:I'm always going to be in the camp that loves FWWM to the point that I feel it makes the entire series better because it exists. Even moreso now that the Missing Pieces have been released.

Couldn't agree more. FWWM is my favorite part of Twin Peaks so far(that feels so good to say), though some parts of the show, mostly the Lynch-directed episodes, come close.
I'll see you in the trees
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

bespincrawler wrote:
Jacob wrote: More generally, I'm a bit surprised of how old they all look. And I don't want to be mean. It's like it was almost made on purpose... Fenn looks at least 5 years younger on her twitter pictures, and it's a bit strange since you can expect a lot of photoshop and makeup for an Entertainment Weekly cover. So yeah, it's like the show is going to play totally on how much the cast has grown old. And it's also pretty coherent with the fact that Cooper is at least 5 years older than MacLachlan (I don't remember exactly how much), which is so rare for an actor to play an older character than himself.
I think something else to take into consideration here is exactly when this photoshoot took place. Idk if they're all this way, but when EW did the photoshoot for their issue covering the Gilmore Girls revival this past year, they did it a few weeks before the revival aired, long after the episodes had been filmed. One of the things that makes me think that could be the case here is that I remember Sherilyn put out a selfie on twitter/instagram about a year ago of herself dressed as Audrey in the new episodes and, though she was wearing the same outfit she's wearing here, her hair was completely different, a lot shorter than it is in this video, and her makeup was more subtle. Also, I think someone else who saw some of the filming going on commented that Madchen looks different in this video than she did on set. So i'm thinking it's possible that this photoshoot was done pretty recently and isn't indicative of how the character's will exactly look in the new season.
3 weeks or so ago, the sleuths on here put together a few tweets from Fenn and Amick and predicted an EW photoshoot. This IS very recent, as you say.

I noticed that some details don't match up either - check Norma's pendant and bracelets in the video interview vs released screens. So the photoshoot only reveals an approximate look. No way of telling if Audrey's delightfully kitschy heart ring is in the show or not for now :D
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:I couldn't find the magazine today so I haven't seen the article, but Beano posted this quote on Twitter:
"Nevins says it will resemble both a serialized soap opera and the more abstract storytelling of lost highway."
That's great, if true. Something for everyone :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Shelly is wearing a ring on her necklace... I wonder if it's her wedding ring from Leo?

I'm really intrigued by what James Marshall said about playing a significant part in Season 3.

I think there will be additional EW Twin Peaks covers after the premiere, featuring the new cast members. Watts, Forster, Dern, Seyfried, Shiels, Getty, Bell, Knepper, Levy, Dastmalchian...
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Dead Dog wrote:
djerdap wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:I think it's extremely likely. That's the point. That's why he's revived it. An exact Lynch quote "I love Twin Peaks and it's world." As far as it resembling Lost Highway...how? Because Coop walks out of a shadow and there are nught shots? Then it resembles Blue Velvet too. I don't even know what people have been going on about the last several months. We know what the characters look like. We know what the town looks like. We know Lynch employs deep blacks and luscious, super saturated colors. Therefore we've known all along what to expect. I've even seen people on this board who claim to be in the know make statements like "if you think it's going to look like the TP you remember, you may be very disappointed. Looks like Twin Peaks to me.
From nine still photographs that intentionally (and probably misleadingly) evoke nostalgia there is nothing to conclude. Lynch is not somebody who wants to repeat himself. The cinematographer is different than the original show. There are 150 new actors. There were various reports from insiders on this board that it will be a different beast for sure, but with certain familiarity thrown in for good measure (which is something that would suit me just fine). Numerous locations around the US and beyond were used and we have confirmation from the press that ... is an important location for the plot. I would go into more reasons but that would be going into spoiler territory. What more do you need to see that it's not going to be that simple?

I am not even trying to sound like Twin Peaks (the town) doesn't matter. Of course it's essential to have it in the overall picture, but I for one am excited to see where else the journey will take Cooper.
Ahhh, so now a director who has always been obsessed with nostalgia and pastiche is "intentionally misleading" us with faked nostalgia in production stills from a series that is known for revelling in pastiche and nostalgia? Seriously man.
I feel 99% sure that the new TP will not be as straightforward as the original show. It will be darker and more abstract. More like episode 29 and FWWM/missing pieces (though of course not exactly the same).

Of course I might be wrong. In that case I will be very dissapointed. But I'm sure this will not be the case.
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

Rainwater wrote:
Agent327 wrote:The colors of the set shots give me a very different vibe as well.
Same.
They definitely do but promo pics often differ from the shows they're from. I doubt the show will be as bright and high contrast as the photos are.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

I think the new season will be to the first two seasons what SD video is to HD video. If the range the original tv show had was 0 - 10, this season's range will be -5 - 15. It's like a wider colour gamut. With 18 hours to work with I think it's safe to expect things as goofy as Andy and the floor board, and things as dark (if not darker) than Maddy's murder scene. I also reckon the cumulative time in the Black Lodge and similar locales will amount to substantially more than the total time spent in those spaces in the entire show and FWWM combined.

Nevin's comments suggests that there will be moments of everything cable shows can show, just not as much as cable shows usually do. The only bit he distinguished with certainty was that it had a lot less cursing than your usual cable show. The violence and nudity appears to be there, just less than say what you find in GoT. That's still more than what the original show did, whilst the show got pretty saucy, TP didn't have any explicit nudity until FWWM.

So I think there's some truth in that it may be a bit like FWWM + The Missing Pieces. But I think with the added running time and cast what we'll actually get is something closer to a combination of everything, because some moments will feel more like FWWM and some more like the original show, and others completely new (or similar to one of Lynch's other works).

Also - yeah this shoot was definitely more recent, so besides the stills from the show - the shoot is only indicative of what characters will look like rather than their actual look in the show, especially when it comes to hair and makeup!
radiofriendly

Post by radiofriendly »

Okay, I'll start with my mean take. When I saw some of these photos, I immediately looked up photos of The Brady Bunch reunion. The BB photos were better. The new photos also reminded me of scenes from A Mighty Wind with the PBS-esque executives.

And I don't think I'm talking about the cast looking old---they're just awkward photos.

I hope someone can encourage me that these photos are just bad photos by EW and not under any creative control by David Lynch.

Another worry I have, since I'm in complain mode:...actually I'm not going to bring it up because it's about petty politics. And that's my point. I hope Mr. Frost doesn't bring his politics into this project (or does so with great care/restraint).

My complaints are in the spirit of being pleasantly surprised by the finished project. I like to keep expectations low, so I can't be let down!
Last edited by radiofriendly on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

Saturn's child wrote:Another interesting quote from the EW AMA (apologies if it's been mentioned):

"... I was privy to a conversation between two people involved in the new TP in which they were debating whether to release an image of a character played by a certain high profile newcomer whose visual look is apparently striking and amazing. They decided not to do so at this time."

Hmm....
Aw, but I wanted to see a picture of Michael Cera's character with tape stuck to his head, just like his dad.
:P
(He's gotta be playing their kid, right?)