Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Post by Aerozhul »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Ross wrote:Also a ton of nasty comments about people's appearance- especially James. Which is sad. James has had some pretty serious health issues in the past, and I'm excited to see him back.
I like the way James looks now. The shaved head and the serious look kind of reminds me of Billy Corgan. I think he looks more Lynchian now than he did back in the day, if that makes any sense.

About the nasty comments, well, I think there's two sides to this. I was saying here that his front teeth looked too yellow in the EW video and someone said "give him a break, it's been 25 years, he's old" etc. It's not like I was bashing the guy for being old. Some comments are being taken a little bit too seriously.
But I can see a lot of nasty comments about age happening as well. Hollywood today only casts young hot people for the important roles, so to see a EW cover promoting a show everyone is talking about w only 50/60 year olds could be striking/uncommon to some people.
The EW pics of James are worrisome as it's not just that he's aged (which is to be expected) - it's that he's rail-thin and looks unwell. That plus the bald head make me worried that he has cancer or some other dehabilitating disease. I hope he's OK. It's similar to how I feel when I see recent pics of LFB....she's also clearly ill and it's sad when you consider how healthy and vibrant they looked 25 years ago. Having said all that, I am glad James is back and that he seems to have a large role in the new season. I don't dislike the character like many do, though I do find him unintentionally hilarious in many of his scenes from the original show. It will be interesting to see Lynch's take on his character today.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Aerozhul wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Ross wrote:Also a ton of nasty comments about people's appearance- especially James. Which is sad. James has had some pretty serious health issues in the past, and I'm excited to see him back.
I like the way James looks now. The shaved head and the serious look kind of reminds me of Billy Corgan. I think he looks more Lynchian now than he did back in the day, if that makes any sense.

About the nasty comments, well, I think there's two sides to this. I was saying here that his front teeth looked too yellow in the EW video and someone said "give him a break, it's been 25 years, he's old" etc. It's not like I was bashing the guy for being old. Some comments are being taken a little bit too seriously.
But I can see a lot of nasty comments about age happening as well. Hollywood today only casts young hot people for the important roles, so to see a EW cover promoting a show everyone is talking about w only 50/60 year olds could be striking/uncommon to some people.
The EW pics of James are worrisome as it's not just that he's aged (which is to be expected) - it's that he's rail-thin and looks unwell. That plus the bald head make me worried that he has cancer or some other dehabilitating disease. I hope he's OK. It's similar to how I feel when I see recent pics of LFB....she's also clearly ill and it's sad when you consider how healthy and vibrant they looked 25 years ago. Having said all that, I am glad James is back and that he seems to have a large role in the new season. I don't dislike the character like many do, though I do find him unintentionally hilarious in many of his scenes from the original show. It will be interesting to see Lynch's take on his character today.
I feel like he'll either be hardened by everything and with a mean "Leo esque" attitude or he'll be the same old James with a little bit more intuition and smarts.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

My hope is that James is a music teacher at the high school, so he can pass on his singing skills.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

He just looks old and bald. guy has never not been skinny. you add age and shaving your head on top of a bullet proof metabolism and that doesn't help. this gossip about him being sick just seems like a bunch of irresponsible and useless nonsense.

Actually I was suprised how the picture of him and laura next to each other kind of just wiped out any negative feelings I had of character and his later adventures, he just looked cool and tragic like his character was always intended to be, since the picture seemed to bring the focus with him back to his doomed relationship with laura, still a critical part of him after all these years. all that travelling didn't change anything. though who knows how much the picture has to do with his actual role in the new show.
G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

It isn't exactly gossip in regards to him being sick...

He nearly died several years ago from heavy side effects from the drug Accutane. He survived, but barely, and had, I believe, surgery of his intestines in some way for they had gotten so screwed up from the drug. I too had a similar scare with accutane about a decade ago but luckily it didn't damage my innards as much as they did his...

So with all that having happened to him I am glad he's back and alright and apparently a large part of season 3. Onwards and upwards for him indeed!
G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

More info here:

http://blog.cvn.com/2011/02/22/actor-ja ... new-jersey

So yes, considering all that, I'm very glad to have him back in TP, looking whatever way he does, period!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

G42.2 wrote:More info here:

So yes, considering all that, I'm very glad to have him back in TP, looking whatever way he does, period!
Agreed!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

don't get too excited about the new EW video, it's even less substantial than the other one (which I loved) but you do get laura dern reading a list of unanswered questions from the old series, which she clearly hasn't seen in a while - "what happened to anne?" [sic]

dana ashbrook is adorable
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Ashok wrote:Just a heads up, looks like EW just released a new Twin Peaks video featuring Laura Dern and Dana Ashbrook
Image Image

You can stream the video here: http://people.com/pen/00000156-7b91-d58 ... 3ab8b0000/ and I will try to capture the footage and repost it with a direct download link later this weekend.
Love Dana! Always so polite, classy and an all-around fun guy. And the fact that he was a lead in one of my favorite zombie movies (and possibly the first zombie movie I ever saw), Return of The Living Dead Part II (which I like better than the original, btw), definitely doesn't hurt. Dana did it a few years prior to TP, so he looks really young in it; it's kinda strange feeling seeing him now, obviously aged (to me, he'll always be the somewhat rambunctious and oh-so-fresh-faced teen), but still looking more than just a tad like young Dana/Bobby...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Went to Barnes and Noble and supermarket today no luck finding Twin Peaks issues. Supermarket had Thor in stock which I found to be a little odd. Barnes and Noble said they won't get new EW issues in till next Tuesday... :/
I'm not much of a magazine buyer, but new comic books tend to be put on the shelves on Wednesdays. I assumed magazines were the same. Tuesday is when new music and home video (DVD, Blu Rays) are released.

Guess we'll all just keep checking back on a daily basis.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

G42.2 wrote:More info here:

Well, that would explain why he's so thin. I'd imagine with no colon and your intestines not functioning properly, it would be hard to keep weight on. Poor guy.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

http://ew.com/tv/twin-peaks-revival-por ... aks-for-ew

000250651hr.jpg
000250651hr.jpg (114.6 KiB) Viewed 8177 times
000250652hr.jpg
000250652hr.jpg (110.69 KiB) Viewed 8177 times
000250653hr.jpg
000250653hr.jpg (103.77 KiB) Viewed 8177 times
000250647hr2.jpg
000250647hr2.jpg (90.7 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
000250656hr.jpg
000250656hr.jpg (99.49 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
Last edited by secretlettermkr on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

000250655hr.jpg
000250655hr.jpg (74.84 KiB) Viewed 8170 times
000250649hr.jpg
000250649hr.jpg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
000250650hr.jpg
000250650hr.jpg (128.08 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member