Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Post by Saturn's child »

underthefan wrote:uh, they were insufferable.
& then some.

As magical as it was to see the living, breathing, present characters, the context was a joke. & to think they're doing a podcast as well?? :?

But, to keep things positive, it really rams home that it IS happening again. I find myself imagining the final few moments before the new season opens, that delicious second of blackness before we plunge in. Good times ahead folks. Good, Lynchesque times...
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Aerozhul wrote:Hard to believe that "Norma" is over 70!
:o
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Saturn's child wrote:Good times ahead folks. Good, Lynchesque times...
As Detective Cooper was wont to say, "damn, this coffee tastes good!"
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

nonemoreblack wrote:For what it's worth I don't think anyone cares about EW's opinions.
It's funny though because one of my prize pieces of Peaks memorabilia from back in the day is the original 1990 EW Peaks dedicated issue with Lynch on the cover. I haven't broken that one out in awhile but I seem to recall that the writing at that time at least was solid and even respectable, but of course EW was a brand new magazine then and it wasn't what it is now.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

nonemoreblack wrote:For what it's worth I don't think anyone cares about EW's opinions.
Exactly
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

These were nice. Not too much. But I'm doing everything I can to avoid reading anything about the new series before I can see it, and even the slightest crumbs make me hungry for more...
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

AgentEcho wrote:I'm doing everything I can to avoid reading anything about the new series before I can see it
I hear you (echo). I feel like I morally want a total media blackout until it begins, but the sad reality is OH MY GOD, WHAT HAVE WE FOUND OUT? :? I'm still considering walking the lonely path until May 21, but it's a tough trail to tread. Will probably hang out here instead, lol.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

nonemoreblack wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:I personally really like the fact that they look like they've aged as normal people do. When you look at those stills, many of these characters still have the same job they had 25 years ago and seem to be stuck in a rut. It would be distracting if they had that Hollywood look of botox and shining white teeth given their circumstances.
Oh totally, I agree. The same can be said to people who were "shocked" to see that Shelly is still a waitress after 25 years. Not saying there's nothing else Shelly could've done with her life, but IMO it would be boring and cliche if she had turned into a successful woman who "learned from her previous mistakes" and now gives advices to young girls who have a soft spot for troublemakers. "You know dear, I used to be just like you...". Ugh!
Haha, agreed! When you're in the position of imagining where characters end up it's so easy to get caught up in fanfiction and forget the tragic reality of their situation. I love how those stills immediately ground you and give that feeling of Twin Peaks being stuck in time. It makes things way more interesting.

Also, as a photographer those portraits are upsetting, lol. The lighting and photoshop are so unflattering.
Actually one of my first thoughts on the announcement of the new show was 'Wouldn't it be cool if Shelly was now the Sheriff and Truman the mayor?' ;)

The photos play (I suspect as a bit of a smokescreen) to the reunion show look. I'm not convinced the specially posed photos will represent the actual roles the actors and actresses are playing in the proper show.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I don't care much about EW's upcoming podcast, tbh. I prefer to listen to Twin Peaks podcasts from fans and discuss the show here in Dugpa.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Yup. The first few minutes of their 'special' was enough for me. Nice that it's getting media attention and all, but eh.
I'll see you in the trees
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Gabriel wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Oh totally, I agree. The same can be said to people who were "shocked" to see that Shelly is still a waitress after 25 years. Not saying there's nothing else Shelly could've done with her life, but IMO it would be boring and cliche if she had turned into a successful woman who "learned from her previous mistakes" and now gives advices to young girls who have a soft spot for troublemakers. "You know dear, I used to be just like you...". Ugh!
Haha, agreed! When you're in the position of imagining where characters end up it's so easy to get caught up in fanfiction and forget the tragic reality of their situation. I love how those stills immediately ground you and give that feeling of Twin Peaks being stuck in time. It makes things way more interesting.

Also, as a photographer those portraits are upsetting, lol. The lighting and photoshop are so unflattering.
Actually one of my first thoughts on the announcement of the new show was 'Wouldn't it be cool if Shelly was now the Sheriff and Truman the mayor?' ;)

The photos play (I suspect as a bit of a smokescreen) to the reunion show look. I'm not convinced the specially posed photos will represent the actual roles the actors and actresses are playing in the proper show.
I finally got a chance to see the full article and even in its blandness it had the common sense of captioning the set pics like a potential setup for a rug pull.
I think the roles we see are legit, but a) they may not be all there is to the character this time round (improbable example: Shelly has three scenes as a waitress and a massive personal arc outside her job), and b) don't account for mood. So, Shelly is still a waitress. What does the character think of we life, what does the narrative? Is it a good thing, a sad thing...?
Additionally: these were all characters who were more or less expected to keep their jobs. We don't know anything about James. About Audrey. About Nadine.

By the way, I wouldn't fault anyone for projecting a happier end for these characters, to see them rise beyond their troubles, especially those who resonate with us for whatever reason. But of course this is Twin Peaks, there was one (1) dose of positive character development available and Laura took it all /shrug
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

laughingpinecone wrote:I finally got a chance to see the full article and even in its blandness it had the common sense of captioning the set pics like a potential setup for a rug pull.
I think the roles we see are legit, but a) they may not be all there is to the character this time round (improbable example: Shelly has three scenes as a waitress and a massive personal arc outside her job), and b) don't account for mood. So, Shelly is still a waitress. What does the character think of we life, what does the narrative? Is it a good thing, a sad thing...?
Additionally: these were all characters who were more or less expected to keep their jobs. We don't know anything about James. About Audrey. About Nadine.

By the way, I wouldn't fault anyone for projecting a happier end for these characters, to see them rise beyond their troubles, especially those who resonate with us for whatever reason. But of course this is Twin Peaks, there was one (1) dose of positive character development available and Laura took it all /shrug
Yeah, like I say, the article definitely has the reunion show 'look' to me, focussing almost entirely on the original characters and showing them essentially wearing the same clothes as last time, almost trying to be the same people they were in the last episode. Too many reunion shows use a quick bit of surface 'change' before reverting the characters to type. And, I agree, the Twin Peaks creators are far too clever not to recognise that a person who is 25 years older is in many ways a very different person.

So, while I regard the cast photos as a nice bit of nostalgic hype, I see the hands of Lynch and Frost working from behind the scenes, not wanting to give away anything new.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Gabriel wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:I finally got a chance to see the full article and even in its blandness it had the common sense of captioning the set pics like a potential setup for a rug pull.

Yeah, like I say, the article definitely has the reunion show 'look' to me, focussing almost entirely on the original characters and showing them essentially wearing the same clothes as last time, almost trying to be the same people they were in the last episode. Too many reunion shows use a quick bit of surface 'change' before reverting the characters to type. And, I agree, the Twin Peaks creators are far too clever not to recognise that a person who is 25 years older is in many ways a very different person.

So, while I regard the cast photos as a nice bit of nostalgic hype, I see the hands of Lynch and Frost working from behind the scenes, not wanting to give away anything new.
I think the choice of costumes and sets for this photo shoot aswell as the content of the acrticle are a red herring. EW is respecting showtime and Lynch's wishes to keep things spoiler free.

I myself very glad they have kept everything so underwraps
Last edited by Mr. Jackpots on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freeek
Roadhouse Member

Post by freeek »

Gabriel wrote:The photos play (I suspect as a bit of a smokescreen) to the reunion show look. I'm not convinced the specially posed photos will represent the actual roles the actors and actresses are playing in the proper show.
The biggest smokescreen being even some of these characters might have very little screen time in the new season.
freeek
Roadhouse Member

Post by freeek »

Interesting tidbit from the KML's blurb :
The actor especially loves playing Cooper’s dark side: "David Lynch does evil about as good as you can do it. It’s a rock-you-to-the-core type of fear."