Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Discussion of Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
User avatar
Gabriel
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Gabriel » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Actually, the main reason I mentioned the traditional reunion show feel in the photo shoot is that it looks like the actors, 25 years later, are evoking the characters they played back then, rather than who the characters are now. That goes for the production images too. It has that creaky, slightly twee feel of middle-aged people being posed to look like their teenage characters (I'm particularly sensitive to this since I'm only a couple of years younger than characters such as Laura, James, Mike, Shelly and Bobby are supposed to be and am very conscious of the differences between 42-year-old me and the 15-year-old me who watched the show in 1990.) Also, they're not blooming 'elderly!'

This nostalgic photo shoot is probably being allowed in part by the show's team as a bit of a smokescreen of what's to come. It's basically your run-of-the-mill, slightly vacuously-opinionated, glossy celeb mag article that you'd expect to be churned out for the masses, playing up (or down) to their expectations. Chances are, if no new show was being made, exactly the same photo shoot might have been created for the actual 25th anniversary of the show. When I look at, say, Sherilyn Fenn in the images, she's posing like she's teeny-bopper Audrey and Mädchen is being given the look of the illustration on the Twin Peaks 'pin up' tattoo mug a friend gave me for my 40th.

I'm reading nothing into any of the images and just enjoying the nice photos of the actors dressed as characters I loved in my old favourite TV show, as we fanboys and fangirls can probably pick the article to pieces. We'll know what they're really going to be like as characters when the moving pictures show up.
User avatar
Ross
Posts: 2204
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Ross » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Gabriel wrote:Actually, the main reason I mentioned the traditional reunion show feel in the photo shoot is that it looks like the actors, 25 years later, are evoking the characters they played back then, rather than who the characters are now. That goes for the production images too. It has that creaky, slightly twee feel of middle-aged people being posed to look like their teenage characters (I'm particularly sensitive to this since I'm only a couple of years younger than characters such as Laura, James, Mike, Shelly and Bobby are supposed to be and am very conscious of the differences between 42-year-old me and the 15-year-old me who watched the show in 1990.) Also, they're not blooming 'elderly!'

This nostalgic photo shoot is probably being allowed in part by the show's team as a bit of a smokescreen of what's to come. It's basically your run-of-the-mill, slightly vacuously-opinionated, glossy celeb mag article that you'd expect to be churned out for the masses, playing up (or down) to their expectations. Chances are, if no new show was being made, exactly the same photo shoot might have been created for the actual 25th anniversary of the show. When I look at, say, Sherilyn Fenn in the images, she's posing like she's teeny-bopper Audrey and Mädchen is being given the look of the illustration on the Twin Peaks 'pin up' tattoo mug a friend gave me for my 40th.

I'm reading nothing into any of the images and just enjoying the nice photos of the actors dressed as characters I loved in my old favourite TV show, as we fanboys and fangirls can probably pick the article to pieces. We'll know what they're really going to be like as characters when the moving pictures show up.

True. But the production stills are from the show, so yes, Shelly and Norma will be at the RR. Andy, Hawk & Lucy will be at the Station...
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Gabriel
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Gabriel » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Ross wrote:True. But the production stills are from the show, so yes, Shelly and Norma will be at the RR. Andy, Hawk & Lucy will be at the Station...


Which is why I'm going to great pains to refer to the 'photo shoot' and 'production stills' separately. Andy and Lucy, Gordon and Albert, Hawk, Denis, and Norma and Shelly obviously look like older versions in character in the production stills (Shelly could be saying to Norma: 'Isn't it strange being in a waitress uniform for the first time in 25 years, when I'm really an undercover cop with two firearms and three knives hidden in my dress?!' in that scene for all we know!) :lol:

The photos specifically created in the magazine shoot, however, while fun, I'm not taking as anything other than a fun bit of publicity puff, glossy mag material.
User avatar
Adolphus
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Adolphus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Aerozhul wrote:
Rhodes wrote:Although it's kind of innovating and refreshing to have a show with an elderly cast, I think it is good that they have some new, younger women as well in the cast.


I think we al need to agree to never use the term "elderly cast" again in this forum.


I agree, henceforth, only the terms " ancient " and " decrepit " shall be used in reference to the original cast. Joking! I'm just joking- while I can appreciate that there might be a jolt in seeing people age 25 years, I can also appreciate that people DO age and THAT isn't surprising in the least. It will be interesting to see how this whole ' age ' aspect of TP will play out in the new season- I'm intrigued.
cowwithfivelegs
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:33 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby cowwithfivelegs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:22 pm

.
Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Finally got a copy! It's a bit disappointing, in that I've already seen all the photos (and indeed a few more) online. Seems like a poor business model to give away the product for free nearly a week before it goes on sale! The article has a few nice breadcrumbs, but nothing too earth-shattering, as expected. Still, it's a nice physical keepsake to commemorate this incredible, surreal moment of Peaks fandom!
Aerozhul
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:07 am

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Aerozhul » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:32 pm

cowwithfivelegs wrote:
dronerstone wrote:I find recasts of Major Briggs, Leo Johnson, LMFAO and Donna (again) highly unlikely.


Briggs has not been recast.


So....reading between the lines and keeping things spoiler-free.
Agent Earle
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Agent Earle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:30 am

Gabriel wrote:Actually, the main reason I mentioned the traditional reunion show feel in the photo shoot is that it looks like the actors, 25 years later, are evoking the characters they played back then, rather than who the characters are now. That goes for the production images too. It has that creaky, slightly twee feel of middle-aged people being posed to look like their teenage characters (I'm particularly sensitive to this since I'm only a couple of years younger than characters such as Laura, James, Mike, Shelly and Bobby are supposed to be and am very conscious of the differences between 42-year-old me and the 15-year-old me who watched the show in 1990.) Also, they're not blooming 'elderly!'

This nostalgic photo shoot is probably being allowed in part by the show's team as a bit of a smokescreen of what's to come. It's basically your run-of-the-mill, slightly vacuously-opinionated, glossy celeb mag article that you'd expect to be churned out for the masses, playing up (or down) to their expectations. Chances are, if no new show was being made, exactly the same photo shoot might have been created for the actual 25th anniversary of the show. When I look at, say, Sherilyn Fenn in the images, she's posing like she's teeny-bopper Audrey and Mädchen is being given the look of the illustration on the Twin Peaks 'pin up' tattoo mug a friend gave me for my 40th.

I'm reading nothing into any of the images and just enjoying the nice photos of the actors dressed as characters I loved in my old favourite TV show, as we fanboys and fangirls can probably pick the article to pieces. We'll know what they're really going to be like as characters when the moving pictures show up.


An excellent post! I agree with you 100 %!
A side note: my favorite photo image is that od David Lynch, since he, I feel, carries his age most gracefully plus that cigarette smoke rising from his fingers looks classy as hell!
Agent Earle
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Agent Earle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:32 am

cowwithfivelegs wrote:
dronerstone wrote:I find recasts of Major Briggs, Leo Johnson, LMFAO and Donna (again) highly unlikely.


Briggs has not been recast.


Implying that everyone else listed in dronerstone's post is? :wink:
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby N. Needleman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:50 am

No.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dronerstone
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:31 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby dronerstone » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:04 am

I suppose there's no need to - for a reason.
Agent Earle
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Agent Earle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:44 am

I'm at a loss here.
User avatar
Snailhead
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:45 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Snailhead » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:36 am

A Donna recast I'm half expecting, but a Leo Johnson recast would be all kinds of weird.
Welcome to Canada...
Rhodes
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:35 am

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Rhodes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:02 am

Trudy Chelgren wrote:
Rhodes wrote:
Although it's kind of innovating and refreshing to have a show with an elderly cast, I think it is good that they have some new, younger women as well in the cast.

The sexual energy of the original show was part of its appeal for me. I think all the women of the origingal cast look wonderful, given their age. Still, Sheryll Lee or Madchen Amick or Sheryll Fenn just don't have the same charisma they used to (which is 100% understandable of course).


I disagree, I think it's the individual that determines their sexual energy, not their age. Have you heard Sheryl Lee's reading of The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer?! I think we also have to remember that sexuality changes as you age, I would be shocked to see a third season where the older cast are still behaving like teenagers, it's relative, and I'm sure Lynch and Frost understand that. We haven't really seen them in character yet, so we don't know if they have the same chemistry or charisma. Not to mention the (somewhat) obligatory young, sexy cast members. I don't think it'll be awkward, but in fact more dynamic, in terms of romance and love and sex. The mature element needs more energy, I believe. The closest we got was Ed and Norma, any other mature romance in the show at the time was kind of ridiculed, or not to be taken seriously, and Ed and Norma were so great, and not even that old!




While I agree that women in their 40s or 50s can be beautiful and have lots of charisma (and chemistry with those who they interact with), I think that teenage girls or girls in their early 20s have a unique quality that have inspired artists, photographers, filmmakers, painters, etc. all over the world.

I don't think this is a sexist/agist position. I am pretty sure that David Lynch himself agrees with me on this one. He loves beautiful, YOUNG women and recognizes their uniqueness.
User avatar
Trudy Chelgren
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:07 am

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Postby Trudy Chelgren » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:00 am

Rhodes wrote:

While I agree that women in their 40s or 50s can be beautiful and have lots of charisma (and chemistry with those who they interact with), I think that teenage girls or girls in their early 20s have a unique quality that have inspired artists, photographers, filmmakers, painters, etc. all over the world.

I don't think this is a sexist/agist position. I am pretty sure that David Lynch himself agrees with me on this one. He loves beautiful, YOUNG women and recognizes their uniqueness.


Well, I just think it's important to acknowledge that these are the same people they were 25/26 years ago. Time has passed, and that undoubtedly changes a person's makeup, and I can't be happier that 'getting older', and all the implications of that, is surely going to be a really strong theme in this show. That being said, all I think is this season can only be more dynamic and fully-rounded than what we've seen from Twin Peaks before; there are younger, objectively sexier cast members, and there are older, more mature, beautiful cast members. The bracket is much, much wider this time, and there'll be room for a broad range of sensuality, I'm sure.

Return to “Twin Peaks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mr. Reindeer, VictorianIce and 24 guests