is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think in most cases it's a futile endeavor to debate what did or didn't influence a specific scene, unless it's REALLY overt (True Detective season 2 dream scene) or someone involved in the scene specifically puts the influence on the record. For instance, Matt Weiner mentions on the audio commentary for the Mad Men episode "Shoot" (i.e., Betty and the BB gun) that the bright idyllic cinematography is inspired by Blue Velvet. I certainly can see the influence, having heard him say that, but I would never assume that every "pretty shiny '50s suburb" choice in a film or TV show is imitating DKL.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

There's been a few, but none of them are running as strongly as TP has.

I will say my current TP obsession and daily spend on dugpa and reddit stems from the show returning. I remember in 2014 before the announcement I frequented reddit to get some insight into the show past what I'd done on my own - and besides reading some of the books on the subject (e.g. Brad D's book etc.) I think I've got a decent exposure. If the show wasn't coming back, I don't think I'd be as obsessed with the show on a daily basis.

So nothing currently comes close! In the past/in recent years, when the show was on tv etc. I've been really caught up with Community, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mr Robot, Doctor Who, BSG (new), and Adventure Time. There's probably a few shows missing there. Lately I've been very impressed and quite consumed by Legion, but I've only got the one episode left of the season.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: RE: Re: is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

the woods wrote:dylan has some good songs.
DKL tells a great anecdote in The Art Life about a Dylan concert. It has a priceless quite from DKL at the end that delighted me as a huge fan of both men.
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

Post by the woods »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
DKL tells a great anecdote in The Art Life about a Dylan concert. It has a priceless quite from DKL at the end that delighted me as a huge fan of both men.
oh i haven't been able to see that! i am not sure it has been released theatrically, and while i usually don't mind watching docs on my ipad or pc, i want to see this on the big screen first if i can. or at least on a big t.v.

"no one can sing the blues like blind willie mctell...". has been on my playlist a lot lately.
next step: rocket science!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

the woods wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
oh i haven't been able to see that! i am not sure it has been released theatrically, and while i usually don't mind watching docs on my ipad or pc, i want to see this on the big screen first if i can. or at least on a big t.v.

"no one can sing the blues like blind willie mctell...". has been on my playlist a lot lately.
A great one. It's baffling how many of Bob's best songs from that era were left off the albums!

Nominally back on topic: TAL is currently in a very limited theatrical release. I saw it at the IFC Center in NYC, who have also been showing most of DKL's films for the past week, but I think it ends Thurs. it seems like a few other cities are doing a similar thing?

Btw, does anyone know if the Blue Velvet documentary was released? It seems to be screening in a theater in Philly currently (DKL would be thrilled). Did I miss its limited release?
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
the woods wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:

A great one. It's baffling how many of Bob's best songs from that era were left off the albums!

Nominally back on topic: TAL is currently in a very limited theatrical release. I saw it at the IFC Center in NYC, who have also been showing most of DKL's films for the past week, but I think it ends Thurs. it seems like a few other cities are doing a similar thing?

Btw, does anyone know if the Blue Velvet documentary was released? It seems to be screening in a theater in Philly currently (DKL would be thrilled). Did I miss its limited release?
yeah i Think they are doing a limited theatrical run in a very select few theaters then the official release date in Cinemas is April 14th, "The Art Life".
i got a chance to see a film copy of "FWWM" yesterday, and between April (following "The Art Life" and May they'll be showing "Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart", "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Dr.". i need to see them all. such an experience... the only thing that bugs me is all these people loudly snacking on their candy bars, popcorn and fideting with their wrappers, Always during the first 45 minutes or so.. and it's Always in some nice quiet, atmospheric moment that some fuckhead decides that this is a good time for some popcorn. Kudos to my man Keith Jarrett, he's got the right idea, they should bring him in on David Lynch and Kubrick retro showings as well haha.

about the BV documentary, i've been searching for news and coming up blank. i really want to see it!
dl_fan
Roadhouse Member

Post by dl_fan »

The Art Life will be playing in Chicago at the Music Box Theatre at the end of April - they're having a David Lynch Retrospective from April 27th - May 4th -

https://musicboxtheatre.com/events/davi ... rospective
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

claaa7: I first saw Inland Empire in Geneva, and took in a large box of popcorn. It sounded so loud every time I crunched it that I ended up sucking each piece and digesting it like a fly so as not to disturb people. I pretty much needed the full 3 hours to eat the whole box.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

baxter wrote:claaa7: I first saw Inland Empire in Geneva, and took in a large box of popcorn. It sounded so loud every time I crunched it that I ended up sucking each piece and digesting it like a fly so as not to disturb people. I pretty much needed the full 3 hours to eat the whole box.
Haha at least you were being respectful. Man i would have loved to see inland on the big screen. What a strange, thrilling, funny, horrendous, confusing and catharic experience that mustve been. I always wondered how well the cheap digi camera scenes worked in the theater.
up4dabah

Post by up4dabah »

The greatest TV shows in my opinion are

The Wire
Game of Thrones
The Sopranos
Oz
Breaking Bad
True Detective (Season 1)

I also love Star Trek : The Next Generation and Quantum Leap but they can have the odd dodgy episode. And the only other TV I was this hyped about for a return is Ash vs The Evil Dead. And that has been a fantastic return so far.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Twin Peaks, first and always. But I'm yet another vote for LOST. Intelligent and clever, it was always one step ahead of the viewer. The ending made me cry my eyes out. I also love Sex and The City and have even been on the NY tour bus for it! (hey, I'm a girl!). I also love The Good Wife a lot. Written from a place of great emotional intelligence.

All the talk on here about Northern Exposure has made me nostalgic. Never a massive favourite of mine but I did watch it. Does anyone here remember a series called Wild Palms? Was it James Belushi in that? I've got vague recall it may have been.

I believe I am the only person on this planet who was not able to get into watching either Breaking Bad (watched all of series 1) or Game of Thrones (couldn't get past the violence in episode 1!).
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Venus wrote:
All the talk on here about Northern Exposure has made me nostalgic. Never a massive favourite of mine but I did watch it. Does anyone here remember a series called Wild Palms? Was it James Belushi in that? I've got vague recall it may have been.

I believe I am the only person on this planet who was not able to get into watching either Breaking Bad (watched all of series 1) or Game of Thrones (couldn't get past the violence in episode 1!).
It's been said that chicks have always been more partial to Northern Exposure than guys :)

I remember some trailers for Wild Palms (which intrigued me as hell), the fact that it was practically a miniseries (though I'm not sure they meant it that way when they conceived it) and that they promoted it as Twin Peaks-like. Alas, those were the pre-Internet days so I had no way of obtaining the series in my corner of the world and by the time the tides changed, I lost interest.

And no, you're not the only person on Earth that's remained untouched by Breaking Bad's greatness. My mate in Ireland claims it's shallow and boring (!?); he stuck with it till the end, though.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

I forgot about Banshee but that somehow seems appropriate as it remains among the great underrated series of recent times. Still, its cult is solid and deserved and will likely only increase. Its overall success as far as I'm concerned is due in no small part to knowing exactly when it was time to stop. So it manages to be a very taut, self-contained experience, well regulated in that way and measured out while also being distinctive for its singular mix of accomplished character drama writ large and high pitched sustained excess throughout. It's hell for leather from frame one.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

claaa7 wrote:no one else loved "MillenniuM" on here... a bit suprising i must say
I adored it.

However... season two is an issue. In one way, i really like it and, had Millennium begun in that way, I'd have been fine with it, but it's so tonally detached from the other two seasons that it messes up the whole series.

Season two simply wasn't the show I signed up for in season one, betraying everything I loved about season one. Lamentation and Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions, for example, handled the supernatural in a terrifying manner, having created a bleak world not too far removed from ours. Season two became pure hokum with things like Darin Morgan comedy episodes. It was the equivalent of having Eddie Murphy show up in the middle of Will Graham's 'bait' walk in Manhunter and start making a Tooth Fairy jokes. The way I handle the middle season is by assuming that the majority of what happens is seen through the lens of Frank having a nervous breakdown and that much of it either didn't happen at all or happened very differently.

Season three starts to get things back on track, but it was a huge mistake to change the Millennium Group from a consulting agency into a weird thousands of years old cabal. For that alone, not mentioning the other changes, the show never recovered from Morgan and Wong's tenure.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Gabriel wrote:
claaa7 wrote:no one else loved "MillenniuM" on here... a bit suprising i must say
I adored it.

However... season two is an issue. In one way, i really like it and, had Millennium begun in that way, I'd have been fine with it, but it's so tonally detached from the other two seasons that it messes up the whole series.

Season two simply wasn't the show I signed up for in season one, betraying everything I loved about season one. Lamentation and Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions, for example, handled the supernatural in a terrifying manner, having created a bleak world not too far removed from ours. Season two became pure hokum with things like Darin Morgan comedy episodes. It was the equivalent of having Eddie Murphy show up in the middle of Will Graham's 'bait' walk in Manhunter and start making a Tooth Fairy jokes. The way I handle the middle season is by assuming that the majority of what happens is seen through the lens of Frank having a nervous breakdown and that much of it either didn't happen at all or happened very differently.

Season three starts to get things back on track, but it was a huge mistake to change the Millennium Group from a consulting agency into a weird thousands of years old cabal. For that alone, not mentioning the other changes, the show never recovered from Morgan and Wong's tenure.
Yes i completely agree with you, i really like season 2 but similiar to your opinion about it i feel that aside from a few episodes it's like 75% a new show. "MillenniuM" season one is probably the bleakest show I have seen, but it was intriguing and masterfully crafted, but Frank Black was such a strong character that you truly cared about and was truly a good guy, so him and his family life gave the show it's contasting light and it worked. And whatever Morgan and Wong did at least all three seasons kept Frank Black being Frank Black (so brilliantly played by Lance Henriksen, love that guy) which is what made it always still feel like "MillenniuM". He's very similiar to Cooper in many regards if you ask me.

Morgan and Wong did introduce a lot of supernatural and religious stuff that often didn't work, and sometimes really worked imo but just like in the first season of "Twin Peaks" the supernatural presence was always there but hidden under the surface. Already in the first episode after the pilot, "Gehenna", we are getting strong hints that we are dealing with something more than a human being. Same thing between the "Judge" and "Powers, Principles...".. and of course "Lamentation" and it's follow-up "PPT", i remember watchng those two episodes very late at night and having no idea about that they would go in that direction, and being amazed that they did it, and did it so brilliantly (and dark!). Season One have in my opinion some episodes that are becoming a little to "same procedure as last time" with a grizzly murder happening, Frank working on it, Frank breaking it, in between scenes of the happy family life, etc. I think they needed a change in some way to keep it lasting, but Morgan and Wong truly overdid it. The S1 episodes that are truly brilliant are some of the greatest TV still to this day imo, but i think that the last two parter of S2 and some others are just as strong.

In a way i feel Season 3 is the one with the most problems, because Morgan and Wong took the series so far away from where it begun that it was impossible to completely backtrack.. so some episodes felt really, really strange while others were amazing. in fact all seasons have several episodes i hold more dear than anything on any TV show (save for "Twin Peaks") but it was a problematic show... i think the last stretch of Season 3 that they had finally found a perfect balance and knew were they were heading, and it really worked. I believe that Chip Johanessen and Ken Horton would have continued Season 4 and it would have been absolutely great.

Sorry for the long post, but i'm glad to see another MillenniuM fan on here :)