is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

Post by Gabriel »

StrangerDanger wrote:As for other series like X-Files and all that ... naaaaah, never gave them time of day, they didn't seem as subtle and sophisticated, they didn't grab me. :)
If we're talking obsession/addiction, Twin Peaks was heroin and the X-Files methadone. But it was damn fine methadone! Two shows of which I have Blu-ray sets placed with pride on my shelves!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

X-Files is a jumbled, tottering, overrated mess of half-baked conspiracy angles and half-assed execution, with the leads a couple of catatonic zombies whose charisma is consumed by a single Cooper's sip of coffee. An insipid hackwork if ever there was one.
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Agent Earle wrote:X-Files is a jumbled, tottering, overrated mess
agree :lol:
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Fargo S3 started off pretty darn good last week. Episode 3 is on tonight.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

It's curious to me how much people fawn over The Leftovers. I liked the book a lot, but after watching the pilot which was so ugly, depressing and miserable, I had zero wish to continue watching. If I want to be sad and miserable, all I need is to turn on the news - no HBO subscription needed!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

underthefan wrote:It's curious to me how much people fawn over The Leftovers. I liked the book a lot, but after watching the pilot which was so ugly, depressing and miserable, I had zero wish to continue watching. If I want to be sad and miserable, all I need is to turn on the news - no HBO subscription needed!
I love the first season, but I get where you're coming from. Many people, particularly critics, who felt the same way about the first season have loved the second. It becomes a very different, much more fun and experimental show.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
underthefan wrote:It's curious to me how much people fawn over The Leftovers. I liked the book a lot, but after watching the pilot which was so ugly, depressing and miserable, I had zero wish to continue watching. If I want to be sad and miserable, all I need is to turn on the news - no HBO subscription needed!
I love the first season, but I get where you're coming from. Many people, particularly critics, who felt the same way about the first season have loved the second. It becomes a very different, much more fun and experimental show.
Interesting. They must have realized that, and course corrected. I just felt so depressed after watching, and couldn't do that to myself anymore (even though I obviously really like Justin Theroux). It's funny that I didn't feel the same way reading the book, even though it's certainly not what you would call light-reading.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

There are a few things matching my obsession for Twin Peaks, actually. Lost, The X-Files, and Neon Genesis Evangelion, primarily. There are plenty of other shows I've obsessed about to some degree (Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, a few of the Star Trek shows, several others), but those are the three that absolutely match Twin Peaks for me.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

claaa7 wrote:
Ross wrote:
claaa7 wrote:no one else loved "MillenniuM" on here... a bit suprising i must say
I loved the first season of Millennium back then. Absolutely loved it. But was really shocked at the nose-dive in quality the show took once season two started. They basically retooled it, jettisoned the serious dark tone that had made the first season special, and turned toward the wink-wink jokiness of the X-Files (Glen Morgan and James Wong took over). They completely changed the tone of the show, and ruined it imo. And I lost all interest.
i see what you mean, and it took a while for them to get the show on the right track again after some first weaker episodes where the unbalance between the new and S1 was too strong.. but man there's some mindblowing episodes in season 2 that you might have missed. the two parter that closes that season is some of the finest, gutsiest television ever produced. on par with episode 29 of TP (almost haha)
I second that. In fact I would say each season of Millennium peaks in the back half.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Agent Earle wrote:X-Files is a jumbled, tottering, overrated mess of half-baked conspiracy angles and half-assed execution, with the leads a couple of catatonic zombies whose charisma is consumed by a single Cooper's sip of coffee. An insipid hackwork if ever there was one.
Oh well. I still enjoy it! :wink:
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I really really love this thread. Totally brilliant.

The Prisoner is still the only show that not only comes close to my TP obsession, but equals it. It's about the time when you watch something. The adolescent mind has the ability (and time) to get totally obsessed with bands, TV, film, etc, in a way that the adult mind loses slightly (at least in my case- I'm deeply jealous of those who have escaped this). The Prisoner and TP have eclipsed anything else I have ever seen, but I'm sure if I didn't see them as a teenager in the 90s I'd have a different impression of both.

The only director that I've become obessed with as an adult is Aki Kaurismaki- there is so much warmth and absurdity in his films. Calamari Union has become my favourite film ever. All of his films are more or less identical, but if you love one of them that means you love the whole lot.

I really enjoy other things, but they don't live in the same housing estate in my brain like the above.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

The Prisoner is a beautiful show. I have the A&E set, I've been meaning to rewatch it.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Wow- still browsing this thread and George and Mildred came up. I can't tell if that was ironic or not, but I hope it isn't. I really love it. I checked out Man About The House recently as well (which G&M was spun off from) and I love that too. Gentle, knockabout class-obsessed British comedy of the highest order.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Soolsma wrote:Fargo S3 started off pretty darn good last week. Episode 3 is on tonight.
Ep 3 has Ray Wise :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."