is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

tmurry
Roadhouse Member

Re: is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

Post by tmurry »

but man there's some mindblowing episodes in season 2 that you might have missed. the two parter that closes that season is some of the finest, gutsiest television ever produced.
Seconded - If you haven't seen the part of the season 2 finale where Lara goes insane to the tune of Patti Smith's Horses, it was easily the best sequence on TV that year, and I must have watched it (off of the VHS tape) about 100 times.

NOTE: Found it!!!!!!

http://club.doctissimo.fr/desenfers/ser ... 62580.html

Just watched it - only slightly less awesome than my memory had it, but man the thing is Twin Peakey/Lynchian. The way it gets tension off of looking into the bathroom mirror (in the Great Northern like "cabin" room) with flashes of the mirror shattered make you think she's going to Cooper that thing. The look of the law enforcement. The way she screams evokes Laura with a u.
Last edited by tmurry on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:34 am, edited 6 times in total.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I'm in agreement with many people on here. Since TP, I've definitely fell in love with shows like The Sopranos, The X-Files (despite its many flaws), Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire, Six Feet Under, etc. and I even think some of them eclipse TP especially in terms of their consistency, but none of those shows make me want to buy blu-rays, memorabilia, books, or obsess over them on message boards. TP is still the most unique and original show I have ever seen. To use Lynch's terms, no other show leaves the room to dream that TP does...
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

claaa7 wrote:no one else loved "MillenniuM" on here... a bit suprising i must say
First post nailed it. MillenniuM was just flat out brilliant television. I just wish FOX had ended it after 'The Time Is Now' (brilliant just like 'Miss Twin Peaks'). Twin Peaks/The X-Files/MillenniuM were pretty much my Holy Trinity as far as 90s shows go. 'Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me' is still one of the best TV scripts I think I've ever seen. I wish Chris Carter hadn't got totally nuts in recent history because I love the heck out of his older work.
tmurry wrote: Seconded - If you haven't seen the part of the season 2 finale where Lara goes insane to the tune of Patti Smith's Horses, it was easily the best sequence on TV that year, and I must have watched it (off of the VHS tape) about 100 times.
Upvoted x1000.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
tmurry
Roadhouse Member

Post by tmurry »

'Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me' is still one of the best TV scripts I think I've ever seen.
Oh, yeah... That was the other great late season 2 episode I was trying to remember. The Devils in the diner one. What the heck happened to Darin Morgan anyway? And don't say "autoerotic asphyxiation."
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

WhiteLodge90 wrote: I was not a fan of the ending or the sudden abandonment of characters and or story lines without closing them. Felt a bit sloppy to me. Also the creators are on record saying they didn't have an ending to start with. I understand the ending completely just feel it could have been handled a lot crisper for a show so solid to start with. I think the show hit it's peak when the flash forward was revealed and steadily declined after that.
I thought Walt was a big issue. There was all sorts of material seemingly be set up about him, but he vanished instead, only for there to be a quick coda on the end of the DVDs. I understand the boy actor would be aging too quickly, but it addressing more effectively.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Agent Earle wrote:
Platypus2000 wrote:
I really enjoyed Carnivale.

I don't do game of thrones or true detective. HBO sucks.

Ehmmm... Why exactly (does it suck)? And you do realize Carnivale was a HBO show, don't you?
HBO cancelled carnivale before it's time. Fans were left with a cliffhanger ending ,not unlike TP. I cancelled my HBO and never looked back. I will never follow an HBO series ever again.

Although if HBO were the ones to pick up the new Twin Peaks, I would be giving them a second chance right right now. So, I am glad it was Showtime to do it. Great job Showtime!! I will be subscribing to your channel just so I can see Twin Peaks season 3.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

tmurry wrote:What the heck happened to Darin Morgan anyway? And don't say "autoerotic asphyxiation."
He brought us 'Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster' last year. FOX needs to seriously take away Chris Carter's crayons and get Darin writing more X-Files scripts once Season 11 inevitably happens.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Ashok wrote:
tmurry wrote:What the heck happened to Darin Morgan anyway? And don't say "autoerotic asphyxiation."
He brought us 'Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster' last year. FOX needs to seriously take away Chris Carter's crayons and get Darin writing more X-Files scripts once Season 11 inevitably happens.
That was easily my favourite of those new X-Files episodes.
reaganenigma

Post by reaganenigma »

Mb3 wrote:The Wire
Completely agreed. While far from surreal, the deconstruction of the typical procedural instantly ensnared me and soon I was hooked. After numerous re-watches, it only seems to get better and better. The main point is most American institutions (police, schools, newspapers) are inherently corrupt. It's a gritty, true-to-form portrayal that I can totally immerse myself in (like TP).
J'ai une âme solitaire
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Platypus2000 wrote:
Ashok wrote:
That was easily my favourite of those new X-Files episodes.
It really was by a huge margin! And I'm in total agreement about Carter and Darin. That season 10 finale was insufferable, to say that the least, and left such a sour taste in my mouth.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Dead Dog wrote:Northern Exposure for me. It's eerie how many similarities there are with TP. A professional urbanite (Coop and Joel) lands in a podunk mountain town, surrounded by quirky folks.

Both out of towners have an ornery local girl (Audrey and Maggie) who doesn't quite fit in and have moles near their left eye become smitten with them.

Both shows have a young waitress named Shelly and young outcast in leather (James and Ed).

Both have a character that owns half the town (Ben and Maurice).

Both have flourishes of mysticism or magical realism.

Both have great music and cinematography.

Both have a featured hang out (Double R and The Brick).

Of course NX is much more light hearted and sweet, I love them both more than I can express here.
Heyyy, nice catches! Yeah, Northern Exposure's sure the one for the ages! It's sad that hardly anyone remembers it now, though it enjoyed a substantial and quite successful (much more than Twin Peaks did) run back then (after starting its life as a thought-to-be-short-lived replacement show in its first season, it steadily picked up reputation and piled on devoted viewership from the end of the first season onwards). Joel Fleischmann was one of my all-time favorite TV protagonists, sometimes even rivaling Cooper! Must say I was shocked when I learned David Chase, The Sopranos creator, presided over Northern Exposure after the show's founding fathers, Joshua Brand & John Falsey (both responsible for another series I hold dear to my heart, I'll Fly Away), split after the first three seasons and that he didn't even like the show and looked down on it with lots of hostility; well, I don't remember the fact reflecting in the quality of the show, as I loved all the seasons till the bittersweet end (yep, I even loved the Capras, a new fish-out-of-water protagonists who replaced Fleischmann as leads after Rob Morrow left the series halfway its last season to focus on his movie career).
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Platypus2000 wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Platypus2000 wrote:
I really enjoyed Carnivale.

I don't do game of thrones or true detective. HBO sucks.

Ehmmm... Why exactly (does it suck)? And you do realize Carnivale was a HBO show, don't you?
HBO cancelled carnivale before it's time. Fans were left with a cliffhanger ending ,not unlike TP. I cancelled my HBO and never looked back. I will never follow an HBO series ever again.

Although if HBO were the ones to pick up the new Twin Peaks, I would be giving them a second chance right right now. So, I am glad it was Showtime to do it. Great job Showtime!! I will be subscribing to your channel just so I can see Twin Peaks season 3.
Fair enough, they mistreated that show much like ABC mistreated TP back in the day. But to say their whole serialized drama output is shite just because of that one show never getting the chance it deserved is, I feel, a tad exaggerated.
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

top 10- only the first two were actually somewhat obsessive but i like boring people with lists:

"twin peaks"first,
then "lost" (both shows have hurleys, and i thought the final shot in "lost"was perfect),
then the (original) "gong show" (the most transgressive show ever on u.s. network t.v.)
followed by "rocky and bullwinkle and friends", and
(trust me i know what i'm doing") "sledge hammer!"
"the addams family" ( my role models)
"monty python's flying circus" (does it count as an obsession if you can say the all lines while viewing?)
"kung fu" (like a lot of people, this got me interested in martial arts, and it stars my favorite actor)
star trek (only the original series)
and i actually rather liked the original u.k. version of "being human". i know it's kind of soapy, but i liked the uncertain tone and mix of horror, soap, and comedy.
next step: rocket science!
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Nothing compares to Twin Peaks for me.

But my second favorite show of all time is the Sopranos.
Hurley

Post by Hurley »

LOST. 60s Star Trek. To a somewhat lesser extent: X-Files, Firefly, ST:TNG, Seinfeld.