The Cowboy and the Frenchman

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: The Cowboy and the Frenchman

Post by claaa7 »

by the way does anyone know a way to see "Lynch Two" online... it's not available on DVD or to buy in Europe, and I have "Lynch One" on the Eraserhead DVD.. i heard "Lynch Three" turned into the "Art Life" so id be glad to see it before i see the film.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Dunno if this helps, but I just watched The Art Life, which also features cutaways to a lot of footage in this vein. It's been awhile since I sat through 16MM -- most of the stuff in TAL felt familiar to me, but there was definitely new stuff (including on set footage of DKL and baby Jennifer with the Grandson in costume).
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

There's definitely a new Lynch title coming to Criterion (could be Lost Highway or The Elephant Man) and The Art Life is probably going to be a bonus feature on it, so hopefully we'd get a few more of the lost extras included on that disc too.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Metamorphia wrote:There's definitely a new Lynch title coming to Criterion (could be Lost Highway or The Elephant Man) and The Art Life is probably going to be a bonus feature on it, so hopefully we'd get a few more of the lost extras included on that disc too.
I'm betting on Elephant Man. It screened at Festival of Disruption which got me suspicious when I first heard. It might have been a new restoration, and premiering it there makes sense. So far nobody who's been there has had anything to say about it online.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

claaa7 wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:
claaa7 wrote:
what's interesting is that i'm pretty sure that only parts of it are from that 16MM mystery bonus which makes it even stranger.
"The Alphabet" is a great little film for sure
I didn't know about these supposed second and third alphabets, and google is not helping -- do you have a source, or link to info?
this is Part 2 i believe, definitely shot during the same time / day, with Peggy Lynch in the outfit.. creepy stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j13ZuGgcqd0

and here is Part 3.... very, very strange how this even leaked. it's been floating around for a few years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OgyCfWA0x0
Wow, thank you so much!
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

claaa7 wrote:what's interesting is that i'm pretty sure that only parts of it are from that 16MM mystery bonus which makes it even stranger.
Just did a side-by-side comparison. I can say definitively that there's no footage exclusive to those videos. It's all from 16MM. Not a leak, just an illegal posting of officially-sanctioned material.

The "Part Two" video you posted is directly pulled from 16MM. Same exact edit, same soundtrack. It starts at the 4:41 mark of 16MM.

"Part 3" is also the same scene order and soundtrack, except that the "bootleg" version cuts a bunch of footage that was present in the DKL-approved 16MM version (the deleted footage is admittedly mostly tedious, although whoever edited the bootleg made the regrettable decision of removing some very cool split-screen close-up insect shots). This section starts at the 11:02 mark in 16MM.

As I said, The Art Life does feature a bit of new on-set footage from this era, but it's in the nature of "behind the scenes" moments, not footage DKL ever intended to use.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
claaa7 wrote:what's interesting is that i'm pretty sure that only parts of it are from that 16MM mystery bonus which makes it even stranger.
Just did a side-by-side comparison. I can say definitively that there's no footage exclusive to those videos. It's all from 16MM. Not a leak, just an illegal posting of officially-sanctioned material.

The "Part Two" video you posted is directly pulled from 16MM. Same exact edit, same soundtrack. It starts at the 4:41 mark of 16MM.

"Part 3" is also the same scene order and soundtrack, except that the "bootleg" version cuts a bunch of footage that was present in the DKL-approved 16MM version (the deleted footage is admittedly mostly tedious, although whoever edited the bootleg made the regrettable decision of removing some very cool split-screen close-up insect shots). This section starts at the 11:02 mark in 16MM.

As I said, The Art Life does feature a bit of new on-set footage from this era, but it's in the nature of "behind the scenes" moments, not footage DKL ever intended to use.
thank you very much for solving that mystery for me, ive seen 16MM but never did a direct comparision.. i'm going to see The Art Life in the cinema soon and after that they are doing retro showings of "Blue Velvet", "Wild at Heat", "FWWM", "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Dr." over a period of 2 months. Imagine my excitement, the only problem is that it's late on weekdays (films starts 20:45) and it's an 80 minutes train ride one way.. but i have been dreaming of see these films in the cinema so i guess it's a small price to pay :) they also did a retro showing of "2001" not too long ago and that was perhaps the greatest movie experience of my life so far... seeing movies in the theater is really something else
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:There's definitely a new Lynch title coming to Criterion (could be Lost Highway or The Elephant Man) and The Art Life is probably going to be a bonus feature on it, so hopefully we'd get a few more of the lost extras included on that disc too.
I'm betting on Elephant Man. It screened at Festival of Disruption which got me suspicious when I first heard. It might have been a new restoration, and premiering it there makes sense. So far nobody who's been there has had anything to say about it online.
Ah, probably. I'd rather it be Lost Highway in all truth but I'll pick it up (in large part down to the extras).

We could well see three or four Lynch films with Criterion over the next 2-3 years. Elephant Man, Lost Highway, Inland Empire and possibly Straight Story.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Metamorphia wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:
Ah, probably. I'd rather it be Lost Highway in all truth but I'll pick it up (in large part down to the extras).

We could well see three or four Lynch films with Criterion over the next 2-3 years. Elephant Man, Lost Highway, Inland Empire and possibly Straight Story.
I bet on all of those with Straight Story being a biiiiiiig MAYBE. Disney owns it and they haven't licensed anything out to anybody else as of late iirc. Their live action releases in North America have been relegated to bare-bones Disney Movie Club discs. Always hope for the best though!