What will be the Opening Theme music for the new show? (NO SPOILERS)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What will be the Opening Theme song for Twin Peaks The Return

Poll ended at Sun May 14, 2017 7:43 am

"Falling" from the original series - same or revised arrangement
66%
FWWM theme song- same or revised arrangement
4%
Another song or theme from the original series or FWWM (e.g. 'Under the Sycamores' or 'Dark Mood Woods')
1%
Completely new music or no music at all
28%

Total votes: 158
Venus
RR Diner Member

Re: What will be the Opening Theme music for the new show?

Post by Venus »

krishnanspace wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Same song with updated shot-by-shot visuals.
That would be awesome.I have a feeling that only the first episode will have an opening sequence
Yes there are so many shows these days that no longer have opening intro with music. It's a lost art form. Lynch may be old school with this and still have his opening music and credits. I can't imagine him abandoning them.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Venus wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
That would be awesome.I have a feeling that only the first episode will have an opening sequence
Yes there are so many shows these days that no longer have opening intro with music. It's a lost art form. Lynch may be old school with this and still have his opening music and credits. I can't imagine him abandoning them.
Most network shows have dropped the opening theme song- to fit in more commercials. But I think most of the premium channel shows still feature an opening credits sequence and theme.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I think it will be "Falling" with similar imagery that was filmed recently.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Same song re recorded.. maybe slowed down and shorter version.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Venus wrote: Yes there are so many shows these days that no longer have opening intro with music. It's a lost art form. Lynch may be old school with this and still have his opening music and credits. I can't imagine him abandoning them.
I think we will see an updated version of the original opening credits. With updated imagery. And hear a new version of Falling.

I would like to hear the FWWM theme though. I like it better.

I really like the opening credits and theme for Better Call Saul.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

I think it will be pretty much the same as the original, maybe spruced up a little, but that may just be the paucity of my own imagination talking.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

I would like Falling with updated visuals just like everyone else. But I wouldn't be shocked if it was a darker and shorter theme song in a completely different vibe. Hopefully not as far out there as the one in Lost Highway (Not a fan of that soundtrack)
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Ross wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I really doubt it will be "She Would Die for Love" (the FWWM theme). It's one of my favorite TP-related tracks, but I doubt they'll tie the series that closely to a track that only appeared in the film. I think it will either be "Falling" or something totally new.

My bet (and my hope) is for a new, fully-orchestrated version of "Falling." The heavy use of synth dates a lot of the TP tracks, despite their beautiful and timeless melodies. I'm hoping a lot of familiar themes get an orchestral treatment -- and of course that we get a ton of wild new music from Badalamenti and DKL! But I think the main title needs to be "Falling."
I'm hoping the opposite. I'd be disappointed if they went orchestral. The small jazz band sound of the original is such a huge part of what made it so great and original.
I couldn't agree more! I'd hate to hear Twin Peaks with a traditional orchestral score. The old score and soundtrack is so iconic because it's so damn memorable. I think a lot of it is the simplicity, the repetition of themes, and the small number of instruments. We all remember the dreamy synth, the twangy guitar, the upright bass, the brushes on the snare drum, and the small horn section. That's all I need!
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Exactly what I'm expecting. An updated, current version of the opening theme. But instead of warm and rustic, we'll see the effects of time and death on the famous locations. I do think the "Falling" theme will be altered just a bit.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

I'm going with new.
I'll see you in the trees
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I think it'll be the original theme, probably re-recorded, with similar style outdoor scenes, and on every episode.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I'm thinking it'll be the traditional theme tune and revamped visuals based upon the original (was the mill ever rebuilt?)

I also suspect, where appropriate, we might have different themes in different situations. If, for example, it's dramatically pleasing to do so, we might get launched straight into an episode without titles. Or maybe onetime we open with Evil Coop driving through the Nevada desert in a car full of corpses accompanied by Cool Cat Walk as the titles run over the pictures (I made up the scene as an example; I have no idea what happens, but you get my drift!)
comeongethappy

Post by comeongethappy »

Heh, wondering how they could incorporate "Cool Cat Walk" into the series has crossed my mind recently.

Greetings to you all from a relatively new fan.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I figure the opening credits will run for a minimum of 15mins as the names of 200+ cast members fade in and out, slowly one by one.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

I bet it's going to be the slowed down version they use in the promos