What will be the Opening Theme music for the new show? (NO SPOILERS)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What will be the Opening Theme song for Twin Peaks The Return

Poll ended at Sun May 14, 2017 7:43 am

"Falling" from the original series - same or revised arrangement
66%
FWWM theme song- same or revised arrangement
4%
Another song or theme from the original series or FWWM (e.g. 'Under the Sycamores' or 'Dark Mood Woods')
1%
Completely new music or no music at all
28%

Total votes: 158
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Re: What will be the Opening Theme music for the new show?

Post by Snailhead »

I'd like something new but I'm down for whateva!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:My bet (and my hope) is for a new, fully-orchestrated version of "Falling." The heavy use of synth dates a lot of the TP tracks, despite their beautiful and timeless melodies. I'm hoping a lot of familiar themes get an orchestral treatment -- and of course that we get a ton of wild new music from Badalamenti and DKL! But I think the main title needs to be "Falling."
Yes, I agree. The use of synths surprised me even in the early 1990s. I remember thinking it must have been a budgetary issue. Similarly, I was astonished when Game of Thrones used synths for the opening theme. I mean, use synths for incidental music by all means, but it seems really tight not splash out for an orchestra for your opening theme when you're using synths set to sound like an orchestra anyway.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

A re-recorded version of Falling, but I imagine it may be cut for the other episodes beyond the pilot.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

New theme to encompass the out-of-town locations with their mood.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Gabriel wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:My bet (and my hope) is for a new, fully-orchestrated version of "Falling." The heavy use of synth dates a lot of the TP tracks, despite their beautiful and timeless melodies. I'm hoping a lot of familiar themes get an orchestral treatment -- and of course that we get a ton of wild new music from Badalamenti and DKL! But I think the main title needs to be "Falling."
Yes, I agree. The use of synths surprised me even in the early 1990s. I remember thinking it must have been a budgetary issue. Similarly, I was astonished when Game of Thrones used synths for the opening theme. I mean, use synths for incidental music by all means, but it seems really tight not splash out for an orchestra for your opening theme when you're using synths set to sound like an orchestra anyway.
Most musicians use synthesizers as an instrument on it's own terms, not as an imitation or a sound-a-like solution to save money, and certainly not AB/Lynch. A full symphony orchestral version would, imo, only schmaltzify it and reduce it's dark and mystical vibe.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

bob_wooler wrote:Most musicians use synthesizers as an instrument on it's own terms, not as an imitation or a sound-a-like solution to save money, and certainly not AB/Lynch. A full symphony orchestral version would, imo, only schmaltzify it and reduce it's dark and mystical vibe.
While synth is certainly often used for artistic reasons to achieve a specific sound, it also is frequently a money-saver. It was rare in 1990 (and is still rare) to have a full orchestra on a TV show because of the expense. Of course, it's entirely possible that AB also liked the sound -- DKL says in the Rodley book that he was trying to push Badalamenti toward more orchestral stuff on LH (sounding as if Angelo was resisting), and he was still using a lot of synth on MD. Both certainly have their place, but for me, many TP tracks sound dated in a way that Angelo's stuff from BV and LH with the Prague orchestra don't. There's no reason orchestra has to be "schmaltzy" if used right.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:Most musicians use synthesizers as an instrument on it's own terms, not as an imitation or a sound-a-like solution to save money, and certainly not AB/Lynch. A full symphony orchestral version would, imo, only schmaltzify it and reduce it's dark and mystical vibe.
While synth is certainly often used for artistic reasons to achieve a specific sound, it also is frequently a money-saver. It was rare in 1990 (and is still rare) to have a full orchestra on a TV show because of the expense. Of course, it's entirely possible that AB also liked the sound -- DKL says in the Rodley book that he was trying to push Badalamenti toward more orchestral stuff on LH (sounding as if Angelo was resisting), and he was still using a lot of synth on MD. Both certainly have their place, but for me, many TP tracks sound dated in a way that Angelo's stuff from BV and LH with the Prague orchestra don't. There's no reason orchestra has to be "schmaltzy" if used right.
Yeah, I know synths can be used as a moneysaver, I've been to three McCartney concerts (yeah, Beatles fannerd here), and I cringed every time they played Eleanor Rigby using synthesizer instead of the string quartet as in the original. But just like PMcC simplify ER to save some bucks (guess he's short of money :roll: ), I think the TP theme will lose something significant by taking that soft pad sound away from it. That sound is an important part of TP to me. Imagine Dark Mood Woods without it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Point taken. "Dark Mood Woods" a powerful example of synth used for the right reasons. But the soaring unapologetic romance of "Falling" screams out for full orchestration IMO.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Point taken. "Dark Mood Woods" a powerful example of synth used for the right reasons. But the soaring unapologetic romance of "Falling" screams out for full orchestration IMO.
Yep, it's about the arrangement/orchestration.

I mean, compare the Dark Shadows theme tune from the original show and House of Dark Shadows with the horrid version from the 1990s TV show. Now that 1990s arrangement is schmaltzy! Twin Peaks/Falling could soar with a full orchestral version. I think people assume we'll end up with some horrible bustle-bustle violins with cheesy emphasis on muted horns and amplified saxophones. Substituting a full orchestra would raise the theme to a whole new level. It's a case of keeping things simple and not overegging the pudding with all the different instruments.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

a pop rock piece that's easily digestable in the year of our lorde 2017, it's the only acceptable thing in entertainment
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Here is the Danish Symphony Orchestra having a go at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np1Qo8CsW00

Not better, just different I would say. It really makes you realise how great the music is regardless of orchestration- something I had not expected. A couple of milkmen whistling along to a kazoo would probably still sound epic.

The oboe is out of time with the piano though- tsk tsk.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

baxter wrote:Here is the Danish Symphony Orchestra having a go at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np1Qo8CsW00

Not better, just different I would say. It really makes you realise how great the music is regardless of orchestration- something I had not expected. A couple of milkmen whistling along to a kazoo would probably still sound epic.

The oboe is out of time with the piano though- tsk tsk.
This version is exactly what I fear we'll get if they go full symph. This is really nice and all, but that's also all there is to it IMO. The somewhat dark, mysterious, sinister vibe from the original is almost completely gone and what's left is a piece of sentimental fluff more akin to Dynasty or Falcon Crest and such (especially in the crescendo-ish parts). I'm sure that, as pointed out by Gabriel, with better orchestrating and arrangment it could've been made a bit more fitting with the TP-feel, but still, I really feel something like this belongs more to CD compilations like "The BBC Orchestra plays the TV classics" than an opening theme to my beloved Twin Peaks.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Falcon Crest!!! Ahhhahahaaa...!!!!! Nice that you mention it, actually. :)

Anyway, being a musician myself I'd say a huge plus for midi and saving actual money by using it is that you can just use whole takes and let them be played back by all different kinds of instruments, interchange things really quickly and for example even change the pace with a single click of a button if you want to.

Maybe the slow version of the theme that we first heard in those S3 teasers is just Angelo's old take being played back at the same pitch but another speed. It's easy to trick non musicians into believing they're actually "new" songs.

I'll sit and eat up whatever they give us, Peaks has been a blessing ever since when it comes to it's soundtrack. I love what they did so far, so I bet they won't let us down this time.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

dronerstone wrote:Falcon Crest!!! Ahhhahahaaa...!!!!! Nice that you mention it, actually. :)
I believe the only reason that series stayed in my memory is because of Melissa. I was twelve and, well, that's all you need to know :lol:
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Falling, or something Lynch composed himself, like that creepy piece about walking the streets in Warsaw (?). Whatever, I hope they stick to the same theme for each episode anyhow. Contemporary pop / rock? No thanks.

Would have been nice to hear Julee Cruise - "Movin' In On You" somewhere in the original series. Hopefully there will be a chance to use it this time round.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]