What will be the Opening Theme music for the new show? (NO SPOILERS)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What will be the Opening Theme song for Twin Peaks The Return

Poll ended at Sun May 14, 2017 7:43 am

"Falling" from the original series - same or revised arrangement
66%
FWWM theme song- same or revised arrangement
4%
Another song or theme from the original series or FWWM (e.g. 'Under the Sycamores' or 'Dark Mood Woods')
1%
Completely new music or no music at all
28%

Total votes: 158
mtwentz
Lodge Member

What will be the Opening Theme music for the new show? (NO SPOILERS)

Post by mtwentz »

I am guessing it will be the FWWM theme.

Get yourself on the record- what thinketh you?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: What will be the Opening Theme music for the new show?

Post by N. Needleman »

The same theme as always.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I really doubt it will be "She Would Die for Love" (the FWWM theme). It's one of my favorite TP-related tracks, but I doubt they'll tie the series that closely to a track that only appeared in the film. I think it will either be "Falling" or something totally new.

My bet (and my hope) is for a new, fully-orchestrated version of "Falling." The heavy use of synth dates a lot of the TP tracks, despite their beautiful and timeless melodies. I'm hoping a lot of familiar themes get an orchestral treatment -- and of course that we get a ton of wild new music from Badalamenti and DKL! But I think the main title needs to be "Falling."
DonnieB
Roadhouse Member

Post by DonnieB »

Maybe it'll be that slowed down version they've been using in promos.

I voted completely new, though.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I really doubt it will be "She Would Die for Love" (the FWWM theme). It's one of my favorite TP-related tracks, but I doubt they'll tie the series that closely to a track that only appeared in the film. I think it will either be "Falling" or something totally new.

My bet (and my hope) is for a new, fully-orchestrated version of "Falling." The heavy use of synth dates a lot of the TP tracks, despite their beautiful and timeless melodies. I'm hoping a lot of familiar themes get an orchestral treatment -- and of course that we get a ton of wild new music from Badalamenti and DKL! But I think the main title needs to be "Falling."
completely co-signing your post.. "FWWM theme" is one of my favorites but my money is on an updated version of an instrumental "Falling", new arrangement, fully orchestrated. one of the shows strong selling points is nostalgia even if they have told us it will take us out of our "comfort zone" (yes please) but as far as theme music goes i think that's a good bet. The X-Files revival worked wonderful with the classic theme song and even the same intro. i would be suprised if the visuals stayed the same though (like XF), i think that is highly unlikely.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I really doubt it will be "She Would Die for Love" (the FWWM theme). It's one of my favorite TP-related tracks, but I doubt they'll tie the series that closely to a track that only appeared in the film. I think it will either be "Falling" or something totally new.

Here's my thinking-
1. Much of the show will not take place in Twin Peaks.

2. Lynch is calling this a movie, not a T.V. Series.

So my theory is that the tradition "Falling" theme will come on every time they come back to the town of Twin Peaks, but will not be used for the opening title sequence.

There is also the possibility that they use different themes for different Parts/Episodes.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think you're overthinking this.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I'm hoping the opposite. I'd be disappointed if they went orchestral. The small jazz band sound of the original is such a huge part of what made it so great and original.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I exercised my right to vote for up to four options
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

I Believe that will be the same music theme.
tmurry
Roadhouse Member

Post by tmurry »

Falling in a title "slot" for first episode (not necessarily opening - there may be a cold open, maybe even a long one). For subsequent episodes, whatever fits the episode (sometimes open with different music, sometimes no music.

Second guess - some version of the original theme opening tacked onto each episode so as to not impinge on the narrative.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Same song with updated shot-by-shot visuals.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

damn i voted wrong in the poll, i was going to vote for "Falling" new version but accedintally voted for "FWWM Theme" updated
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I hope it's the same music but updated footage. To me, the original opening is about the infinite passage of time. I love the idea that the waterfall has continued falling, all these years. And of course, the original music was perfect.

That being said, I'm prepared for anything. I'm not going to be disappointed if it's completely different.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jerry Horne wrote:Same song with updated shot-by-shot visuals.
That would be awesome.I have a feeling that only the first episode will have an opening sequence