The Guardian Tribute to Coop

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

The Guardian Tribute to Coop

Post by Dead Dog »

Wasn't sure where to post this. It's a fine little tribute to the remarkable Special Agent Dale Cooper. Enjoy!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... avid-lynch
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: The Guardian Tribute to Coop

Post by Soolsma »

nice :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

Cringeworthy!
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

this was fine but it really drives me crazy when critics say season 2 is mostly bad. at this point it seems like the tired, rote description of the show and makes me question how in depth or how long ago the writer actually engaged with the material and thus more likely to disregard their criticism. especially when the writer doesn't bother to clarify their problems with season 2.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

dreamshake wrote:this was fine but it really drives me crazy when critics say season 2 is mostly bad. at this point it seems like the tired, rote description of the show and makes me question how in depth or how long ago the writer actually engaged with the material and thus more likely to disregard their criticism. especially when the writer doesn't bother to clarify their problems with season 2.
EXACTLY. I'm fed up with these lazy-ass excuses for critical journalism and their TP half-truths we've been forced to endure since the original show went off the air. And it doesn't look like that's gonna change anytime soon.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Basically any "for the masses" kind of coverage about the show seems like it goes over the same territory:

- David Lynch's Twin Peaks! (Oh yeah, there was a guy named Frost...)
- Coffee, pie, doughnuts, etc.
- Laura, Laura, Laura
- Season two sucked
- But we love this show!!!!
- It's a terrifying show!
- It's a funny show!
- It's a dramatic show!
- It's a campy show!
- Audrey was a vixen
- Look at that chevron!

There is rarely anything new from stuff like this.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

LonelySoul wrote:Basically any "for the masses" kind of coverage about the show seems like it goes over the same territory:

- David Lynch's Twin Peaks! (Oh yeah, there was a guy named Frost...)
- Coffee, pie, doughnuts, etc.
- Laura, Laura, Laura
- Season two sucked
- But we love this show!!!!
- It's a terrifying show!
- It's a funny show!
- It's a dramatic show!
- It's a campy show!
- Audrey was a vixen
- Look at that chevron!

There is rarely anything new from stuff like this.
What a great post! Kudos to you, my friend :)

Oh, and you forgot the good ol' "S2 went down the toilet 'cause Lynch-was-off-filming-Wild-at-Heart".
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

It seems nearly a crime to say, but I agree S2 (after the revelation of the murderer) was bad, very bad, with the exception of the ending.

Here is some "insight information," for those who haven't seen it yet, the documentary Secrets From Another Place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnGWE2qz4ZQ[/youtube]
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Xavi wrote:It seems nearly a crime to say, but I agree S2 (after the revelation of the murderer) was bad, very bad, with the exception of the ending.

Here is some "insight information," for those who haven't seen it yet, the documentary Secrets From Another Place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnGWE2qz4ZQ[/youtube]
On the contrary, it's been a crime for these past 25 years saying it ain't half as bad as the media stampedo made it out to be back then and is still fearlessly beating the dead horse even today (when it's supposedly cool to be fond of TP again - but just S1, mind you!). I can understand how for some of you folks that jumped on that bandwagon, a voice or two in the other direction now seems like the Flood. You have my sympathy.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

^ I love season two, I think it's brilliant in it's own strange way. But it is very flawed and fairly inconsistent with season one, so I can't ridicule those who didn't enjoy it. I actually have a couple of friends that prefer season 2, strange as that may sound. I love every bit of it, even the pine weasel and James and Evelyn. I just adore Twin Peaks. It's FWWM that I'm not so horny for.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Dead Dog wrote:^ I love season two, I think it's brilliant in it's own strange way. But it is very flawed and fairly inconsistent with season one, so I can't ridicule those who didn't enjoy it. I actually have a couple of friends that prefer season 2, strange as that may sound. I love every bit of it, even the pine weasel and James and Evelyn. I just adore Twin Peaks. It's FWWM that I'm not so horny for.
It doesn't sound strange to me, I also prefer it well over S1. Without S2, TP would be long dead and forgotten by now.