Brit w/o Blu Ray Player + TV - what to do?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Brit w/o Blu Ray Player + TV - what to do?

Post by StrangerDanger »

Hello there,

I don't have a Blu Ray player, but of course l could buy a cheap one secondhand, but:

- It would cost around the same as The Entire Mystery set
- I only want to watch The Missing Pieces - so l don't even need The Entire Mystery, and if l do buy the Entire Mystery, that's the only Blu Ray purchase l'd ever make, so l'd be buying a player just for that
- I have zero free space so any Blu Ray player would have to sit on top of existing gear, and l don't like to do that
- My computer DVD drive is not Blu Ray compatible and l certainly don't have any licensed Blu Ray software

Also, l don't have TV, so l'm wondering what the options are for watching Season 3 without a TV? I'm aware Season 3 ends in August 2017, and that broadcasts in the UK will be a few hours after USA. The issues here are:

- My OS is Linux. Windows requires an antivirus subscription = more expense (the free antiviruses won't tide me over until August anyway)
- When will Season 3 be available on disc, in the UK?
- Will Season 3 be released only on Blu Ray?

I'd be grateful for any help.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: Brit w/o Blu Ray Player + TV - what to do?

Post by baxter »

I think the answer is that you can watch it on NOW TV (a streaming service that basically has Sky content).
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Hi there thanks for your reply. It increasingly looks like l will have to bite the bullet and buy an antivirus and just watch it on Windows via NowTV.

Still wondering when the DVD of Season 3 is coming out though, and l hope it won't solely be on Blu Ray.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Sorry if I'm being dense but can you explain the anti-virus part of this and why it's necessary?

In answer to your last point, it will probably get a DVD release alongside the Blu Ray.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Metamorphia wrote:Sorry if I'm being dense but can you explain the anti-virus part of this and why it's necessary?

In answer to your last point, it will probably get a DVD release alongside the Blu Ray.
You need an up to date antivirus and firewall when online with Windows, right? :) And thanks for the info about the DVD release!
leeeET's ROCK!
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Ye but there are perfectly serviceable free versions. Not to jinx it to my trusted laptop, but I've been using Panda Antivirus Free for ages coupled with two anti malware programs and I haven't had any such problems.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

laughingpinecone wrote:Ye but there are perfectly serviceable free versions. Not to jinx it to my trusted laptop, but I've been using Panda Antivirus Free for ages coupled with two anti malware programs and I haven't had any such problems.
Thanks for the tip :) I guess i'll just stick with the free versions rather than full version trial.
leeeET's ROCK!
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

StrangerDanger wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:Sorry if I'm being dense but can you explain the anti-virus part of this and why it's necessary?

You need an up to date antivirus and firewall when online with Windows, right? :) And thanks for the info about the DVD release!
Windows comes with a built-in firewall and the free anti-virus programs are more than good enough. I've used AVG forever.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Panda Free Antivirus is good. Very nag free for a modern free AV and keeps itself in the background. In addition I use the built in Windows firewall and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Do you have a monitor with hdmi? If you're worried about anti-virus etc. Get a now tv box, they're cheap and often come with a free month or two. Just plug it in and you've got the show!
frankenhooker

Post by frankenhooker »

Windows comes with defender built in, that and common sense should be more than enough.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

StrangerDanger wrote:Hello there,

I don't have a Blu Ray player, but of course l could buy a cheap one secondhand,
These days you can buy a cheap one new.
- It would cost around the same as The Entire Mystery set
- I only want to watch The Missing Pieces - so l don't even need The Entire Mystery, and if l do buy the Entire Mystery, that's the only Blu Ray purchase l'd ever make, so l'd be buying a player just for that
Best thing is to see if you can rent it and ask a friend if you can watch it at their house.
- I have zero free space so any Blu Ray player would have to sit on top of existing gear, and l don't like to do that
Throw out your DVD player; Blu-ray players can always handle DVDs and CDs... and even SACDs in some cases.
- My computer DVD drive is not Blu Ray compatible and l certainly don't have any licensed Blu Ray software
Can you replace the internal DVD drive with a Blu-ray drive or buy an external one? Software would likely be included.
Also, l don't have TV, so l'm wondering what the options are for watching Season 3 without a TV?
Which means a Blu-ray player on its own would be pointless. Just sign up online for Now TV or wait and see if a season pass option shows up on iTunes or Google Play!
I'm aware Season 3 ends in August 2017, and that broadcasts in the UK will be a few hours after USA. The issues here are:

- My OS is Linux. Windows requires an antivirus subscription = more expense (the free antiviruses won't tide me over until August anyway)
Windows is not Linux.
- When will Season 3 be available on disc, in the UK?
No idea, but I'd have thought it would be out in time for Christmas! iTunes/Google Play make shows like Game of Thrones available as soon as they've finished their run on Sky!
- Will Season 3 be released only on Blu Ray?
Nothing is released in a single format. DVD is highly probable, Blu-ray is a definite, iTunes/Google Play and so on are more than likely.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

OK thanks for your replies guys - all duly noted :)
@Gabriel - as you might see, there are nuances to the situation, that you may have missed, but thanks for the info about a Christmas release date for the DVD :).
@frankenhooker - i once picked up a virus while doing a fresh install of Windows, just from going online and installing Firefox and a free trial antivirus (l think it was AVG or Avast). Only used official websites. I think some hackers use software to sniff out and attack computer systems whether we are sensible or not. I think they can hover around legit websites and detect what software visitors are running, l'm not quite sure how it works though. Of course being sensible helps to a degree!
leeeET's ROCK!