Characters you are most worried for (S3) (NO SPOILERS)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Characters you are most worried for (S3) (NO SPOILERS)

Post by Aerozhul »

Just got the idea for this thread reading the non-spoilers thread and saw a comment that someone is very worried for what the future holds for Sarah Palmer. That got me thinking - with knowing so little about the new season (next to nothing, actually), which characters are you most worried about going into the new show?

My picks:

1. Annie Blackburn - 26 years ago when I watched the series finale, I thought to myself that Annie would probably be the first target on BOB's hit list, given that she fully recovers from her Black Lodge experience. Add to this the fact that Heather Graham is not on the cast list, and Annie's treatment (or rather, lack thereof) in Frost's book, I would have to say that the outlook is not good for this character.

2. Donna Hayward - No LFB or Moira Kelly on the cast list and lots of speculation on a third recast, but with at least two members of her family present for the new series (Doc Hayward and Gersten) as well as James, I'm nervous that perhaps something major happens to Donna at the start of the show or in the intervening 25 years (or maybe even back in '89 due to different timelines). If there is indeed an alternate timeline in which Laura never died, maybe it was Donna that washed up wrapped in plastic...

3. Good Dale - the new series is suposedly about Coop's "odyssey back to Twin Peaks". If Dale does get out of the Lodge, what is in store for him 25 years later? The horrifying knowledge that his doppelganger and/or BOB have been wreaking havoc in his name? Also judging by Lynch's other works, the ending for main characters is not typically always very happy - perhaps Coop meets his demise at the end of the series.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: Characters you are most worried for (S3)

Post by AXX°N N. »

My first choice would be Sarah too. As said, she's been through so much, and I can't imagine her pain being amplified any worse -- but then, I would have said that in the first moments of the Pilot episode, and, well ...

My second choice would be Dale, per your reasons.

My third choice is, collectively, subplot-bound characters. By this I mean, we've all come to isolate certain characters as tangential to the plot -- could we imagine anything bad happening to, say, Lucy? -- but there was a time when a threat of danger pervaded every scene, location, and character, however distant it has grown over 25 years of seeing through to the end of the series repeatedly and knowing, on every rewatch, who does and does not ever enter into that danger. We are entering the unknown now, where that danger returns, and that sense of anything being possible may court beloved characters out of the safe annexes they've existed in all these years -- again, and I say this with dread, could we imagine anything bad happening to, say, Lucy?

My fourth choice is Laura -- and by extension, other Lodge inhabitants like Leland, Maddy ... they're even further annexed, so much so they've become abstract figurants, and Laura, especially, seems untouchable and to have ascended into a sort of heaven -- but what if this is not the case? Or, phrasing this a different way, what if this is the case but this can, somehow, be revoked? This is an idea which no doubt has certain metaphysical implications -- terrifying ones, in my opinion -- which have their closest parallel in Inland Empire. Throughout the film, Laura Dern has ascended into a realm so abstract it seems untouchable in terms of grounded logic, yet there is still this overwhelming, even all-consuming tension and suspense that something terrible will happen in this place, that though it is abstract and seemingly temporally suspended (by way of being so temporally distorted, it both shortens and elongates, just like in the Red Room) there is still the dynamic of fatality, mortality, or maybe to be more accurate, moral consequence. Laura's arc has closed, seemingly -- but what does it mean if it hasn't?
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

AXX°N N. wrote:she's been through so much, and I can't imagine her pain being amplified any worse
Having watched the amazing "interview" which Lynch himself held with the Palmer family (with Sarah the only one of them alive)< I must say that Sarah's pain is so... painful. Hard to imagine what she's been through over these 25 years. She looks like an open wound there.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

BOB1 wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:she's been through so much, and I can't imagine her pain being amplified any worse
Having watched the amazing "interview" which Lynch himself held with the Palmer family (with Sarah the only one of them alive)< I must say that Sarah's pain is so... painful. Hard to imagine what she's been through over these 25 years. She looks like an open wound there.
Right? Particularly affecting was how realistic her stagnancy was -- it almost made me think of some of the more dour encounters on the Interview Project which Lynch hosted a while back. So many people in the world doing nothing much but long suffering.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Characters I'm worried about:

Ed
Nadine
Norma
Lucy
Shelly
Bobby
Harry
Ben
Andy
Hawk
Coop
Major Briggs
Margaret

Actually, I'm worried for pretty much everyone from the original show. Even though many of us have been frustrated at the series ending the way it did, we've had quarter of a century where these characters have been sealed in amber. Now they're back and time will have passed. Even without Evil Coop/BOB on a psychotic rampage, there are the ravages of time to deal with. Does Sarah Palmer have Alzheimer's? Has Norma got cancer? Is Andy showing signs of motor neurone disease? Does Margaret die of old age? Time and circumstances are against the characters we love and even the network show was pretty lethal to its characters. Now we're putting our favourite characters into an 18-rated cable show where, if Lynch and Frost want to show Evil Coop ritually disembowelling James Hurley for an hour before decapitating Donna in front of him, they can do so. Anything can happen now...
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Donna is the character I'm actually least worried about. For some reason I imagine Ashley Judd is playing her.

I'm the most worried about Ben. As diabolical and nasty as his character could be, he had these amazing scenes just brimming with a lust for life. The sandwich scene, he and Jerry dancing with Leland, making shadow puppets during his breakdown, even his 'good' turn near the series end was filled with young hopefulness for the future. I would hate to see him old and bitter at the way things have turned out, although according to Secret History, he at least got the Ghostwood Project back. But if Audrey ended up anything like him, I could easily picture her screwing him over somehow.

I feel like if Norma and Ed are unhappy at the start of the new series, that's okay, because that's sort of how they started the original series.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Love this thread! :D

Coop goes without saying. I expect a positive resolution to his predicament, but in Lynch-land "positive" and "fatal" aren't mutually exclusive, so. I give him a 50/50.

Laura... I want to believe she's fine. I've seen too many stories strip their transcended characters of their status in order to throw them back to 'relatable protagonist' level. I dearly hope that this will be the rare exception.

Donna and Harry I'm terrified for. Dead faves, I can take. Faves who are simply not needed by the story as it developed, I can take. Faves who were meant to be there but got kicked out by a last-minute cast reshuffling, not so much, ya feel?

And these are my metanarrative fears. Standard fears is Albert. Central enough to have a proper arc, close enough to Coop to get burned. Everyone else who got close to him burned, he's still standing, but for how long..
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.