2nd Season Music

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

2nd Season Music

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

I am zooming through one last rewatch before 5/21 and am currently in the middle of the sort of "lesser" episodes in season 2. And it has struck me that the music used for some of the subplots really isn't helping things. For example the Civil War Ben stuff could have been an alternating dark/comedic look at a mental health breakdown but the silly Civil War musical motifs with the fifes and the drums (plus recurring horse ninneys in the background) just pushes it too far. If some of the darker themes from season 1 (and some from season 2) were used at the more ridiculous times it would have given it some of the feeling of unease you get from the best of Peaks.

Again, just saw a James and the Marshes scene and the music is just sort of unmelodic sludge (which kind of mirrors the scene itself, unfortunately). There are a few key TP themes that seem to elevate any scene they are used in.

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: 2nd Season Music

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It is interesting that, although many parties involved in TP say Angelo refused to write for specific scenes, it seems like he did so at a few points in the second season -- i.e., the Civil War storyline and Miss Twin Peaks. (I believe in the latter, he composed a "Mack the Knife" soundalike because that's what Kimmy Robertson had choreographed her dance to.) It's funny that no one could twist his arm to compose scene-specific music when the show was at its most brilliant, but for lame stuff like the beauty pageant, somehow they finally coerced him. Meh.