Timing of Saturday night decision

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Juan Franela

Timing of Saturday night decision

Post by Juan Franela »

Just wondering. At what point did ABC decide to move the show to Saturday night? Had any second season episodes been delivered at that point?
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present."
Ben Dorrigan

Post by Ben Dorrigan »

The 2-hour second season premiere was on a Sunday, then the show went directly to Saturdays and stayed there through episode 23 (the one that ended with Josie and the drawer knob). Then the show disappeared for about a month and a half while ABC pondered what to do with it and its declining ratings. When it returned it was on Thursdays, then the final two episodes of the series played back-to-back on a Monday.
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

i still can't understand why they took that decision. :?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

But for the second season, ABC moved "Twin Peaks" to Saturday night at 10 to create a new programming block for young audiences. At the same time, the serial story lines on "Twin Peaks" began thickening and the question of "Who killed Laura Palmer?" grew more muddled. All but devout fans departed, and ABC canceled the series at the end of the season.

This is an exerpt from an L.A. Times article on the Lynch/Frost series 'On The Air' Full piece at http://www.lynchnet.com/ontheair/timesota.html
Juan Franela

Post by Juan Franela »

Okay. So the idea was to create a programming block for young audiences. I kind of remember that (I was an undergrad at the time). I guess I'm wondering if ABC had any idea what they'd be doing to the show by moving it to Saturday, if they had some issue with Lynch/Frost and so decided to kill TP by moving it to Saturday, or if it was all a horrible mistake.
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present."
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i dont think they (ABC) purposefully tried to kill it at all...it seemed like there was a huge craze before the season premiere, so why waste all that hype? just a shitty decision combined with more bizarre content that drove the masses away.