Confess your Twin Peaks sins

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: Confess your Twin Peaks sins

Post by laughingpinecone »

Not a big fan of the show's soundtrack, or, more specifically, of how the tracks are used in the show. (my beef doesn't extend to the movie or any other Lynch-Badalamenti collab)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Scullydive wrote:I find the log lady intros a bit of a pain and only really watch them to be a completionist.
Actually I watched them for the first time on my last rewatch and thought they were pretty bad, especially in the later eps.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I consider the movie to be fundamentally flawed, and feel that some superfans refuse to acknowledge the flaws in it out of a sense of loyalty.

Peggy Lipton's performance is like week-old pie at the RR.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I'm happy Josie's a knob.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Hockey Mask wrote:I'm happy Josie's a knob.
Oh Harre
LaurenceBranagh

Post by LaurenceBranagh »

Some of these are less controversial than others, but I must stand up for my controversial opinions:

The only Season 2 subplot that actually irked me a little was the James/Evelyn subplot. I have few problems with the rest of the subplots.

Windom Earle remains consistently frightening throughout his appearance.

I watched the Log Lady intros once and haven't watched them since.

Fire Walk With Me is one flaw away from being a masterpiece, and that flaw is, in my opinion, gratuitous nudity.

I view The Missing Pieces as a separate film that can be watched on its own and still tell a slightly coherent story.

Catherine, as a character, is more attractive than Shelly or Audrey.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think Josie, various major story/character issues aside, is one of the more fascinating messy mysteries of the show overall - in how it evolved or didn't evolve, in the potential it had despite dragging through S2 almost immediately (in part due to Joan Chen allegedly being unavailable for half the season and then gone again at the end). Lynch chose to weave her into the larger mythology for a reason and he and Engels seemed more and more intrigued by bringing back Chen. I think hers is a classic film noir story not unlike the ones Lynch often loves to remix throughout much of his work (MD, BV, etc), and that a deeper connection can be made between the character's soapy storyline and the supernatural underpinnings of the woods.

I think S1 is so much tighter, perfect and carefully constructed than later, and I am rewatching it for the 99th time as we speak as part of a binge prep for Sunday, but S2 in all its shagginess (which starts early with the meandering Bobby/Shelly/Leo, Nadine, Judge Sternwood, M.T. Wentz etc. subplots, an issue which I am reminded of now more than ever) and occasional mess is where the bulk of my fascination has often come from. Good or 'bad' or for real bad, it is everything that is TP all at once and dives even deeper. I just wish the mill plotline and Bobby/Shelly's drug intrigue had been as tightly wound as the first season (and that Audrey hadn't been largely tossed to the second-tier stories).

I love Audrey as Ben's heir apparent in power suits at the Great Northern, something either Peyton or Engels has claimed Sherilyn Fenn asked for between seasons - to turn her into a "Katharine Hepburn" type. It evolved the character into a worthy adult-oriented mate for Cooper and matured her. I also liked her chemistry with Bobby, despite neither of the actors liking it.

I loved Nadine and Mike and that whole subplot. I don't even care. Wendy Robie was priceless and Gary Hershberger was a great foil.

I don't have a problem with the James/Evelyn story on paper. It makes some sense to tell a story of Laura's loved ones leaving town to get away and running into more trouble, and the blatant steal of the plot of Otto Preminger's classic Angel Face (which Harley Peyton has confirmed) is inspired. But James Marshall couldn't carry it alone - LFB/Donna should've been there, among others, and Annette McCarthy was poorly cast. It also needed a stronger tie to TP proper - maybe at the city limits, maybe a connection to Laura. (Like, Evelyn was a 'client' of hers from OEJ?) Evelyn's resemblance to an older Laura, right down to the sunglasses, was also too quickly forgotten.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

I think the james\evelyn story is more interesting than much of the S2 slog at that point.

I think james is mostly a fine character
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I don't find Josie compelling at all; I think she's a poor femme fatale as she's played/written as a child.

Truman's one of my favourite characters .. but I find Ontkean's range to be *very* limited (i.e., the guy can't shout worth a damn!)

I find Andy's antics incredibly lame (board, tape) and was bummed that they got rid of his character arc from season 1 (from bumbling to a sure-shot). I'd trade Andy and Lucy for one Sheriff Truman, given that it feels like there's a lot more dramatic material for Truman given the nature of Coop at the end of Season 2..

Perhaps most importantly; I don't find BOB scary .. like, at all. And when he talks, yikes. Frank Silva seemed like a lovely dude, but, I really think there's a reason he wasn't an actor.

(Edit) Also, I think the raid on One-Eyed Jacks feels like it's from a different, more action-y show. There's nothing innately wrong with that, but, something never jived with me about Coop crossing the border out of his jurisdiction and Hawk knifing a guy in the back (not that I'm against violence, and hell, I hope the new show has plenty .. it just all feels a bit light weight).
Last edited by Rudagger on Thu May 18, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

LaurenceBranagh wrote: I watched the Log Lady intros once and haven't watched them since.
I never even made it through all of them. Eventually I got sick of them and stopped watching them in front of episodes.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Rainwater wrote:This could be your last opportunity for absolution before the Return.

I'll begin:
(1) I've never seen 100% of the series.
I've always skipped through quite a number of scenes in mid-to-latter Season 2. For example, I haven't seen most of the Evelyn Marsh storyline. No idea how it transpires, nor do I care. I've also missed out on some Little Nicky content, among other things. I just can't do it - always occurs to me I could better spend my time by doing or watching just about anything else.
WHAAAT???? Seriously, it belongs to the TP universe as a whole, but as you said, this thread shouldn't turn to arguments, therefore I'll let you be, as it's perfectly right for you to choose not to watch those scenes. :) Still, I find it rather weird. James' adventures are kinda boring (just as the mill subplot, both would do quite well in "The Bold And The Beautiful" if you ask me, but I suppose that kind of shows was what they were poking fun of, just for the sake of it), but they're STILL Twin Peaks to me.

A sometimes-cheesy, dreamy, spooky (also hints of sexual content) universe that easily stands on its own legs in the world of modern TV.

My confessions? ;)

I could watch the wind blowing through the trees with that synth drone sound for DAYS, no, WEEKS without end. I just love what it does to my brain.

Other than that, I gotta confess that I have ZERO problems with the german titles whatsoever and I find it offending that everyones raves about them. They don't matter too much now, do they? Who cares? LOL

Hmmm... plus I sometimes sit at my synth (a trusty old Yamaha DX-7) for hrs at a time and just do TP-esque drones/layers.
At night.
With headphones.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Rudagger wrote:Perhaps most importantly; I don't find BOB scary .. like, at all. And when he talks, yikes. Frank Silva seemed like a lovely dude, but, I really think there's a reason he wasn't an actor.
After countless rewatches, and delving probably too far into the behind-the-series story of how It all came to be, I agree that Silva has largely lost his otherwordly horror in my eyes -- with two important exceptions:

1) His mirror reflection in the Pilot is still chilling because it was unplanned and so indicative of an otherwordly force at work, and
2) the "Just You" / couch scene in Episode 9 is one of the most disturbing things ever put to celluloid. I've watched that shot over three dozen times, and I STILL inevitably feel like I'm going to have a heart attack during the last split-second.
blazingmagnums

Post by blazingmagnums »

Audrey is the worst and I don't know why she's back
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

blazingmagnums wrote:Audrey is the worst and I don't know why she's back
Yup, same here and I totally forgot to add that before. I also don't like Audrey too much. Even those shoes she's wearing disgust me, but I suppose it's a matter of taste. Not that I personally like Ms. Fenn too much either - her "enlightened" christian attitude certainly don't float mah boat. :/
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

- not really a log lady intro's enthousiast either
- I think Dick Tremeyne is really funny
- my last rewatch a skipped a lot of scenes in late season 2 for the first time and it was the best rewatch I had in years
- Besides of the deleted and altered scenes I don't like all the interview-extra's on dvd and blu ray sets, I especially dislike the commercials, promo's and bloopers. Fucks up the illusion.
"Your log and I are on the same page."