Joan Chen's letter to David Lynch (NON SPOILER)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Joan Chen's letter to David Lynch (NON SPOILER)

Post by Jonah »

I know a lot of people don't like it, but I really loved that scene. I wish they had followed up on the whole "spirits being trapped in wood" concept.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

The Josie-trapped-in-a-doorknob scene is PURE TWIN PEAKS GOLD. Period.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I'm definitely in the camp that she's a surprise cameo candidate. I can't imagine why they wouldn't bring her back if she was willing to come back. If they were sore about her wanting out in season 2 it wasn't enough to prevent her from coming back in FWWM. The door knob scene may be polarizing among fans, but it's still one of the bigger non-Laura/Cooper mysteries in the show, I don't see why they'd have no room to address it. And I think we've seen already that the pacing of the show is quite roomy. There's ample reason to save her role for a surprise given the lore surrounding the knob scene.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Simple: because it's not an embarrassment (like the Dougie scenes in the new season, per example) but a damn good scene.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

I love the drawer pull- technically not a knob 8)

Back in the day, I think it was in Wrapped in Plastic or an interview, I think someone said that Josie was supposed to be or we are supposed to believe she's in the red room scene in FWWM, like she was there in essence something along those lines. It drives me nuts I can't provide evidence.

Joan's letter is sooo poetic. <3 I love the idea of her haunting the Great Northern and I love her autopsy, her send off was brilliant and wasn't retaliation to anyone. He wrote her off the show, freeing her to do the projects she wanted to do.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I think Josie was a potentially great character that was horribly fumbled but I love the drawer pull scene and would have loved to see them follow up on it in s3 even in a small way (but don't think they will)

I don't think any part of twin peaks, past or present, is a "fuck you" to anyone at all* and I think it's childish to think it is

*maybe with the partial exception of the EotA - maybe! - but even there I'm not sure I'm that inclined to read it that way
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The 'James has always been cool' line said in a close-up by Mädchen, is definitely a "fuck you" to the James' haters. And I enjoyed it very much. :)
Last edited by Panapaok on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

WOW, Bob, WOW.

It seems a portion of this thread has been swallowed by the Black Lodge.

:shock:
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Found it, thanks Twin Peaks WIkia
An unscripted scene which had been shot and never used where Josie's body can be seen in the curtains when Cooper enters and experiences the "Rooms" of the Black Lodge as Frank Silva stated in an interview at the first fan Twin Peaks Fest.

Richard Beymer took photographic evidence of Joan Chen's stunt double with multiple shots of her body and head in and out of each side of the curtain. (photo after jump) http://twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Josie_Packard

Also the dossier has Josie's death date 11 days too early.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Panapaok wrote:The 'James has always been cool' line said in a close-up by Mädchen, is definitely a "fuck you" to the James' haters. And I enjoyed it very much. :)
That's precisely why I didn't like that line! I thought it broke the 4th wall too much for my liking - unless we see some sort of friendship with Shelly and James emerge and that moment have been foreshadowing, it's a little too meta. (disclaimer - I don't mind James, but the line felt random.)

As far as the Dougie stuff - I like it. The way that everyone is simultaneously weirded out by Dougie and acknowledging that he's different, yet not probing to find out what's actually wrong with him is deliciously weird. The fact that it is nicely shot and very "normal" looking makes it even more uncanny. I'm kind of hoping that the whole Dougie world is manufactured and will fall apart dramatically.