Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Soolsma »

twinpeaks.png
twinpeaks.png (38.93 KiB) Viewed 62277 times
from Twitter
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I believe that "Peaks" is over. This was it as far as something with that title goes. Whether Lynch wants to do something else with Showtime not with that title, who knows? The series this year was essentially a Lynch variety show with a "Peaks" wrapping, so I'm not finding a compelling reason for something else with that title to exist. My interest in any new "Peaks" on TV was over in 1991, and I was never too curious about what a continuation would be like, nor did I think it would ever happen. When the announcement of this show was made, and that it would follow on plots of the second season, I was very skeptical. Then came this totally unexpected direction for the show. Through its ups and downs (more of the latter), probably most assumed that it would provide some kind of satisfying capper. Whether or not you consider the way it turned out to be satisfying (I'm on the fence about Part 18, but fucking hate the "Back to the Future" bullshit of 17), the fact is that they had eighteen hours, longer than most cable seasons, and this was what they came up with. What would a continuation be -- addressing storylines that it's clear Lynch just felt like shitting on? It's not worth it.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

IcedOver wrote:I believe that "Peaks" is over. This was it as far as something with that title goes. Whether Lynch wants to do something else with Showtime not with that title, who knows? The series this year was essentially a Lynch variety show with a "Peaks" wrapping, so I'm not finding a compelling reason for something else with that title to exist. My interest in any new "Peaks" on TV was over in 1991, and I was never too curious about what a continuation would be like, nor did I think it would ever happen. When the announcement of this show was made, and that it would follow on plots of the second season, I was very skeptical. Then came this totally unexpected direction for the show. Through its ups and downs (more of the latter), probably most assumed that it would provide some kind of satisfying capper. Whether or not you consider the way it turned out to be satisfying (I'm on the fence about Part 18, but fucking hate the "Back to the Future" bullshit of 17), the fact is that they had eighteen hours, longer than most cable seasons, and this was what they came up with. What would a continuation be -- addressing storylines that it's clear Lynch just felt like shitting on? It's not worth it.
Other than the fact that I yearned for some kind of Peaks continuation ever since the conclusion of S 2 or, by extension, FWWM (and that I walked about in a trance for a good number of months when S 3 was announced back in 2014), those are pretty much my feelings on the possible future additions to what's now sadly known as Twin Peaks. Yeah, 18 hours of friggin' new Twin Peaks - my, how unearthly excellent that sounds (on paper).
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Agent Earle wrote: Other than the fact that I yearned for some kind of Peaks continuation ever since the conclusion of S 2 or, by extension, FWWM (and that I walked about in a trance for a good number of months when S 3 was announced back in 2014), those are pretty much my feelings on the possible future additions to what's now sadly known as Twin Peaks. Yeah, 18 hours of friggin' new Twin Peaks - my, how unearthly excellent that sounds (on paper).
I don't know, maybe I was being a bit too negative. I liked a lot of the show, but feel that enough of it was poorly handled that it was detrimental. Regardless, I don't have much of a desire for a continuation of the main threads. Much of the show was about the inability to return, to "go home again," so to "return to the return" doesn't really make sense.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Nowadays, the first thing I do when logging on to dugpa is checking this thread for new posts. Not much luck lately.

Hey Frost and Lynch, how about an announcement for Christmas :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

IcedOver wrote:Much of the show was about the inability to return, to "go home again," so to "return to the return" doesn't really make sense.
Shows the brilliance of Lynch. He made the series lackluster on purpose to highlight the point that 'you can never go back'.

And stretching it out over 18 hours just made the point that much clearer . That is truly innovative television.

I'm not sure there is enough financial backing for another season. It's one thing that the parties involved state that they are open to the idea.

From that we have to get into the specifics, the numbers. Is it likely that the ratings will be high enough to justify the kind of budget Lynch would demand? With Lynch being insanely frustrated due to lack of time and money this time around.....in the new documentary claiming that he would never work under such conditions again,is it then likely that Showtime would expand his budget and time after TP TR didn't exactly set the world on fire? I think it's reasonable to doubt that.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

The inclusion of BTS footage of Lynch getting frustrated in the Blu Ray set seems rather pointed. I'm sure Lynch could have easily vetoed any of it being included. The vast majority of the frustration we are allowed to see him express has to do with scheduling, and it was particularly notable when he said he'd never work under these conditions again (though the cause of that condition, the availability of an actor, seems unavoidable.)

I get the sense Lynch allowed that material to be included to help establish a different set of conditions that he will insist on with any future project, whether that be Twin Peaks or something else.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

AgentEcho wrote:The inclusion of BTS footage of Lynch getting frustrated in the Blu Ray set seems rather pointed. I'm sure Lynch could have easily vetoed any of it being included. The vast majority of the frustration we are allowed to see him express has to do with scheduling, and it was particularly notable when he said he'd never work under these conditions again (though the cause of that condition, the availability of an actor, seems unavoidable.)

I get the sense Lynch allowed that material to be included to help establish a different set of conditions that he will insist on with any future project, whether that be Twin Peaks or something else.
You’re reading a lot into it. There was footage on the INLAND EMPIRE DVD of him yelling at crew members and calling them morons. I think he just doesn’t mind letting us see his more candid, human moments.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:The inclusion of BTS footage of Lynch getting frustrated in the Blu Ray set seems rather pointed. I'm sure Lynch could have easily vetoed any of it being included. The vast majority of the frustration we are allowed to see him express has to do with scheduling, and it was particularly notable when he said he'd never work under these conditions again (though the cause of that condition, the availability of an actor, seems unavoidable.)

You’re reading a lot into it. There was footage on the INLAND EMPIRE DVD of him yelling at crew members and calling them morons. I think he just doesn’t mind letting us see his more candid, human moments.
Haha, I so love that bit. "What a load Einstein must have had. Fucking morons everywhere."
richsmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by richsmith »

A little soundbite from Gary Levine at Showtime confirming they're up for more if Lynch is. It's also heartening to hear him confirm that in Showtime's eyes the show was a success.

Showtime’s head of programming is ready and willing to re-team with “Twin Peaks” creators David Lynch and Mark Frost.

“The door at Showtime is always open to Mark and David for more ‘Twin Peaks’ or anything else they want to talk about,” Gary Levine said Saturday during the network’s presentation at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour.

“The work was extraordinary, the fan reaction was extraordinary, and it was incredibly good for our brand and our network,” he continued. “But let’s remember it took 25 years for Mark and David to go from 1.0 to 2.0. Add to that what David did in the last few years was nothing short of Herculean. To direct 18 consecutive hours of television belongs in the Guiness Book of World Records. And wrote, and starred, and edited, and composed. It’s a Herculean task and he did it just so beautifully.”

The limited event series picks up 25 years after the people of Twin Peaks were stunned when their homecoming queen Laura Palmer was shockingly murdered. It reunited original cast members like Kyle MacLachlan, Laura Dern, and Miguel Ferer along with newcomers Naomi Watts, Amanda Seyfried, Monica Bellucci, Jim Belushi, Ashley Judd, and more. The series drove record sign ups for Showtime’s streaming service ahead of its premiere in May.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/twin-pe ... 202655629/
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Thanks for posting this. I'd read a bit from that conversation with the Television Critics Association a couple days ago after searching for Twin Peaks Season 4, then forgotten to post about it here. The article in question also included a comment from David Nevins indicating that he is more than simply open to the idea:

“We haven’t [asked Lynch yet],” Nevins said. “We’ve only had conversations about the previous season. I have not done it yet. I know better. He’s not a guy who’s going to be swayed by salesmanship.”

Showtime Hasn’t Asked David Lynch For Another Season Of Twin Peaks, But There’s Still Hope [TCA 2018]
Last edited by Mr. Strawberry on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

It's now abundantly clear that Nevins/Showtime wants more Twin Peaks. Blu-Ray sales may have reinforced their faith in the franchise and made the decision a no-brainer, but I'm only speculating.

Nevins has been consistently positive, and these recent remarks have been the most positive at all, especially the words about his caution with regards to trying to sell Lynch on the idea, as already quoted above:
“We haven’t [asked Lynch yet],” Nevins said. “We’ve only had conversations about the previous season. I have not done it yet. I know better. He’s not a guy who’s going to be swayed by salesmanship.”
Maybe one could have a more straightforward discussion with Frost, but Lynch's decision-making has consistently relied on great visitations of inspiration, so it's probably a wise choice for Showtime to put out a bunch of "WELCOME!" signs rather than putting pressure on Lynch, no matter how slight that pressure may be. It's best to let Lynch enjoy his accomplishment and stretch his legs a bit with other endeavors like, TM, painting, etc.
greg4882

Post by greg4882 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.co ... son-4/amp/

Looks like Lynch has more of a story to tell.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Your link is a site's repost of another site's repost of a news item we discussed weeks ago.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Welcome to the forum. N. Needleman is, of course, very appreciative of your effort, but to get you up to speed I'd recommend this pair of threads in the season three forum:

1. What chance do you think there is we will see a season 4?

2. An Ever-Growing Collection of Quotes Pertaining to the Possibility of a Season 4