Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by baxter »

I would be really surprised if one of you isn't right. :D
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

baxter wrote:I would be really surprised if one of you isn't right. :D
Well there is no middle ground :)
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

This certainly can't hurt the chances for a Season 4.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/david-nevi ... 202485602/
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

dkenny78 wrote:This certainly can't hurt the chances for a Season 4.

Unless this means he will have to start making responsible decisions :D
Great that someone who seems to enjoy creative concepts gets put in charge of such.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

eyeboogers wrote:
dkenny78 wrote:This certainly can't hurt the chances for a Season 4.

Unless this means he will have to start making responsible decisions :D
Great that someone who seems to enjoy creative concepts gets put in charge of such.
Hopefully this gives Nevins the power to grant Lynch's requests for time/money for filming. From what I can tell, time and money would be the biggest sticking points during hypothetical talks for a season 4. With season 3, Lynch didn't feel like he could explore as much as he wanted to due to time constraints.

Obviously money and time are connected, but money also relates to things like digital effects and compensation for cast members. For all we know it could have been money issues that resulted in the absence of Ontkean, though this is pure speculation on my part. On the other hand, we know that money was the issue with MJA (and we also know that MJA subsequently made some regrettable statements which almost certainly burned all of his bridges with Lynch).
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I was under the impression that MJA allegedly tried to up his price at the last moment before his shooting date. Everyone was getting paid a base fee, IIRC; that wasn't gonna happen.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

this isn't bad news. probably means season 4 is happening if i'm being honest
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote:I was under the impression that MJA allegedly tried to up his price at the last moment before his shooting date. Everyone was getting paid a base fee, IIRC; that wasn't gonna happen.
Hmm. I don't think that I've heard about that. All I know is that MJA explained his non-participation as being about low pay. I'm under the impression that pay was pretty low for everyone but Kyle. This didn't seem to be an insurmountable issue for most, because it was a prestige project, people love working under Lynch's direction, and the actors generally have affectionate relationships with their castmates. Some weren't even working anymore, so it was like a gift out of nowhere.

I won't blame MJA for not participating if the pay was somewhat low, but I will blame him for his subsequent comments, even in light of the leeway that I afford him on the basis of his well established eccentricity.

P.S. I also don’t blame Michael Ontkean if money had something to do with his absence.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

If MJA agreed to participate then tried to up his rate immediately before his shooting date, then yes, I blame him.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Jasper wrote:P.S. I also don’t blame Michael Ontkean if money had something to do with his absence.
His absence left a hole in the show, so if he actually chose not to participate, then shame on him.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Jasper wrote:P.S. I also don’t blame Michael Ontkean if money had something to do with his absence.
His absence left a hole in the show, so if he actually chose not to participate, then shame on him.
Michael Ontkean's job was(/is) to be an actor, You should get paid for the work you have trained to do, and yes salary negotiations are part of that. If he didn't feel like travelling long distance to be paid scale, fair enough.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote:If MJA agreed to participate then tried to up his rate immediately before his shooting date, then yes, I blame him.
Yes, if that's the case, and it's really that simple, then I blame him as well.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

eyeboogers wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Michael Ontkean's job was(/is) to be an actor, You should get paid for the work you have trained to do, and yes salary negotiations are part of that. If he didn't feel like travelling long distance to be paid scale, fair enough.
I truly hope Ontkean is doing well, and would love to still see him appear in an eventual future season. But at the same time, I really hope it wasn't just down to being paid scale, especially when Lynch seemed very accommodating re: shooting schedules and probably would have made it work for Ontkean to spend as little time on set as possible. I'd like to believe Ontkean just wanted to do it, is all I'm saying, and understood and embraced the unprecedented nature of the opportunity. It would be nice to find out one day.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

From what we heard, it sounded like Ontkean agreed to do it, then backed out fairly last-minute, presumably putting L/F into a fairly tight spot scriptwise. If that was indeed the case, I hope it wasn’t just over money, since he presumably would have known the terms when he initially agreed to do it. I also really hope that he’s healthy and all is well. It’s still incomprehensible to me that they didn’t squeeze him in via a Skype call from Hawaii. But all we can do is speculate, and I’d certainly hate to judge anyone based on that.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

http://www.vulture.com/2018/11/unsung-r ... novel.html
A Vulture article claims that Lynch is trying to get funding for a film about bluesman Robert Johnson, based on a screenplay that has already been published in book form which has attracted much attention over the years. Most likely this is just bad journalism. Apparently he has praised the script in the past (as has Scorsese) and said he'd love to make the movie if things fall into place, but that hardly means he is actively working on it.

If he is, I'm not too keen on it. I'm not familiar with the subject, but don't like the idea of him doing another movie about a real person. His two previous are classics, of course, but in general I'm weary of biographies of any sort, as they terribly distort the truth. He also shouldn't be filming a script he didn't at least co-write, not at this point. Who knows, though?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!