Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by bosguy1981 »

IcedOver wrote:http://www.vulture.com/2018/11/unsung-r ... novel.html
A Vulture article claims that Lynch is trying to get funding for a film about bluesman Robert Johnson, based on a screenplay that has already been published in book form which has attracted much attention over the years. Most likely this is just bad journalism. Apparently he has praised the script in the past (as has Scorsese) and said he'd love to make the movie if things fall into place, but that hardly means he is actively working on it.

If he is, I'm not too keen on it. I'm not familiar with the subject, but don't like the idea of him doing another movie about a real person. His two previous are classics, of course, but in general I'm weary of biographies of any sort, as they terribly distort the truth. He also shouldn't be filming a script he didn't at least co-write, not at this point. Who knows, though?
Could be something he'll be producing, but not directing. Pretty sure he's also producing a movie that'll be directed by Duwayne Dunham at the moment too.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

bosguy1981 wrote:Could be something he'll be producing, but not directing. Pretty sure he's also producing a movie that'll be directed by Duwayne Dunham at the moment too.
I believe a few years ago he said he'd stop producing others' films because some people think those are his films, but he has kept doing it. It's possible that's the case with this, but more possible (and hopefully) that it's just lazy journalism.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:http://www.vulture.com/2018/11/unsung-r ... novel.html
A Vulture article claims that Lynch is trying to get funding for a film about bluesman Robert Johnson, based on a screenplay that has already been published in book form which has attracted much attention over the years. Most likely this is just bad journalism. Apparently he has praised the script in the past (as has Scorsese) and said he'd love to make the movie if things fall into place, but that hardly means he is actively working on it.

If he is, I'm not too keen on it. I'm not familiar with the subject, but don't like the idea of him doing another movie about a real person. His two previous are classics, of course, but in general I'm weary of biographies of any sort, as they terribly distort the truth. He also shouldn't be filming a script he didn't at least co-write, not at this point. Who knows, though?
Lynch has had a loose attachment to this project for decades; it’s mentioned in Room to Dream. I think it would be an interesting fit for him, as Johnson’s life is mired in mystery and myth (the screenplay toys with the persisting rumor that Johnson sold his soul to the devil Daniel Webster-style to gain his skill), so as far as biopics go, it would leave him room to “distort” in a creative way, since very little is actually known about Johnson’s life. The main reason Lynch has given for not directing the picture himself is that he doesn’t feel he knows enough about the black experience in America to feel comfortable helming a picture that very much is intertwined with that subject.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I'm not at all sure about that Vulture article. It indeed seems like bad journalism. It's the only recent article on the web that mentions it and doesn't give any source. It seems like the writer simply grabbed the tidbit from this 2013 article: https://www.miaminewtimes.com/arts/alan ... ed-6488344

But who knows, it might be why Lynch was spotted at Netflix HQ recently.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I haven't read "Room to Dream" yet and have never heard of this as a potential project of his. Hopefully that means it's only a producing project, if that, because I don't feel it's a good fit.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Apparently Lynch has been talking about adapting that since 2000. I could see that being a great film, I would prefer Lynch spending his time developing more "Twin Peaks", but apart from that I can see the potential.

https://www.reddit.com/r/davidlynch/com ... ript_that/
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Soolsma wrote:Iit might be why Lynch was spotted at Netflix HQ recently.
Well,that visit we know for sure had to do with the Duwayne Dunham directed/Lynch produced "The Good Worker".
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

eyeboogers wrote:
Well,that visit we know for sure had to do with the Duwayne Dunham directed/Lynch produced "The Good Worker".
There is nothing at all that confirms that. That is a rumor that originated in this very thread.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
There is nothing at all that confirms that. That is a rumor that originated in this very thread.
The Good Worker will be streaming on some other platform, some BlockChain Entertainment. Thats what I remember. The Netflix thing is something else
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The Netflix thing could also have been an informal meeting where they were trying to pitch him the idea of developing something for their model. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything is formally underway. However, I have my fingers crossed that it’s Ronnie Rocket (especially since Netflix just did the improbable and finally got Orson Welles’s The Other Side of the Wind edited and released).
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:However, I have my fingers crossed that it’s Ronnie Rocket (especially since Netflix just did the improbable and finally got Orson Welles’s The Other Side of the Wind edited and released).
That would be pretty wonderful. Keen to check out Other Side of the Wind too.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Saturn's child wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:However, I have my fingers crossed that it’s Ronnie Rocket (especially since Netflix just did the improbable and finally got Orson Welles’s The Other Side of the Wind edited and released).
Not to derail, but it deserves it...The Other Side of the Wind is a bottomless film experience. I'd say watch the film, then the companion documentary and bonus, then go back and watch the film again. It's brilliant, challenging, ahead of its time...but also very much of its time (you need a PhD in 70s cinema and Welles to get all the references) and somehow right on time with some of its themes. Very incredible.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
Saturn's child wrote:
Not to derail, but it deserves it...The Other Side of the Wind is a bottomless film experience. I'd say watch the film, then the companion documentary and bonus, then go back and watch the film again. It's brilliant, challenging, ahead of its time...but also very much of its time (you need a PhD in 70s cinema and Welles to get all the references) and somehow right on time with some of its themes. Very incredible.
Agreed. I tried to start a thread on the general film board for those who want to discuss. The fact that the lead role functions simultaneously as a semiautobiographical deconstruction of Welles and Huston while also being a vicious satire of toxic masculinity and abusive creator-types makes the film simultaneously nostalgic and very much of the moment in 2018 (Welles once said of Hannaman, “I love him and I hate him”). They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead was also a wonderful watch, chock-full of fascinating, funny and sad anecdotes. I plan to give the main feature a second watch this weekend.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

One of the main reasons I want to see more Twin Peaks, and this was also the reason I wanted to see more before Season 3, is simply because I want to see more cinematic work by Lynch, and Twin Peaks represents his most marketable franchise (his only I should say), and the project most likely to get financed.

Season 3 may have spoiled me into hoping for more television work, but I'm happy to see any new cinematic work from Lynch, and I'd be real intrigued to see his take on the Robert Johnson story. A very different kind of story than anything he's done previously and it'd be his first with a POC lead.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

AgentEcho wrote:One of the main reasons I want to see more Twin Peaks, and this was also the reason I wanted to see more before Season 3, is simply because I want to see more cinematic work by Lynch
Ditto. That it was Twin Peaks that came back was just a bonus for me, as I had never ever considered that it would ever come back. My excitement mostly stemmed from Lynch finally returning to the director's chair. I'm so torn on whether I truly want more Twin Peaks. I mean I do, for sure...it's complicated, given the unlikelihood of it ever coming back in the first place and then coming back so unique, it's as though I don't think anything else should be made so as not to diminish that achievement. But I also not only crave more, I believe that it would be a different beast and I agree with all those lovers and haters alike who think a new season would/should be shorter, tighter, more concentrated, at the very least for how the money would be distributed into the production and so that Lynch would be able to get to shoot every moment he plans to (and hasn't planned!), and also to set itself apart from The Return.