Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Not to derail things, but I just want to note for Earle and Strawberry that HBO released the long-awaited Deadwood movie on their platforms last Friday, just in case you weren’t aware!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:And with, let's face it, pretty meager results of Season 3 - both critically and financially.
You clearly didn't pay attention to critical reception in America, to say the least. The show did not become a GOT monster hit financially, but it was never really intended to do that. It was always intended (and I was told this by friends at the network before the show even officially started production) to launch Showtime into an adjacent sphere to HBO artistically, to put the network into that conversation. It succeeded on those terms. To my admitted half-surprise, the bulk of critics in America (and I think most in Europe/the world) responded very positively to Season 3. I had feared it would be FWWM Part 2.

How we all feel or don't feel about the new show is our own prerogative. But critically, the show was a huge success.

(As for fan forums, I think the TP subreddit, this forum and Twitter are all largely fairly positive towards S3. I am aware there are people I like and respect who have major issues with it, and they still make that plain today. But sheer numbers-wise I have seen no major negative groundswell in those forums that is persistent. I don't say that to invalidate their feelings, it's just how I take the temperature of the fandom.)
Last edited by N. Needleman on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Not to derail things, but I just want to note for Earle and Strawberry that HBO released the long-awaited Deadwood movie on their platforms last Friday, just in case you weren’t aware!
The Deadwood movie took an approach that many (not all) of the Profoundly Disappointed would probably have liked TP to take. It was an intense experience for me, because it so thoroughly recreated Deadwood that it transported me back to another time and another place where I lived a wildly different life.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Not to derail things, but I just want to note for Earle and Strawberry that HBO released the long-awaited Deadwood movie on their platforms last Friday, just in case you weren’t aware!
The Deadwood movie took an approach that many (not all) of the Profoundly Disappointed would probably have liked TP to take. It was an intense experience for me, because it so thoroughly recreated Deadwood that it transported me back to another time and another place where I lived a wildly different life.
I had a very similar reaction. Especially given Milch’s recent mental deterioriation, it’s incredible how perfectly he found every single one of those characters’ voices again. Ditto the actors. It’s hard to think of another “reunion” movie that so perfectly feels like a direct continuation of the series. At the same time, given the constant turbulence in the violent world of the show, it felt a little fan service-y that all these characters’ arcs in the movie are based almost entirely around events that took place ten years ago, which isn’t how life usually works. But that was necessary to tell a story in 110 minutes that probably needed six-plus hours to really breathe. Given the constraints, it was certainly hugely satisfying, in a very different (and much more narratively conventional) way from TP:TR.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I had a very similar reaction. Especially given Milch’s recent mental deterioriation, it’s incredible how perfectly he found every single one of those characters’ voices again. Ditto the actors. It’s hard to think of another “reunion” movie that so perfectly feels like a direct continuation of the series. At the same time, given the constant turbulence in the violent world of the show, it felt a little fan service-y that all these characters’ arcs in the movie are based almost entirely around events that took place ten years ago, which isn’t how life usually works. But that was necessary to tell a story in 110 minutes that probably needed six-plus hours to really breathe. Given the constraints, it was certainly hugely satisfying, in a very different (and much more narratively conventional) way from TP:TR.
Ditto, exactly my thoughts. The Movie was very intense and very good and so wonderful to revisit the world and the characters, and both Milch and the actors were thoroughly up to the task of fully inhabiting the world again; it's no small feat to regain that level of lived-in specificity, but the actors simply become those characters, and I was amazed! At first I had major The Return vibes, given the (meta) nature of the opening monologue that referenced the time past, and then seeing everyone looking so much older, and then frequently returning to the idea of time past, in addition to Milch's tragic diagnosis mirroring that of Mark Frost's father. But then it became the opposite of The Return, in that it focused solely and tightly on plot points developed 13 years ago as though no time had passed, and even felt nostalgic at times, and offered perfect closure for multiple characters that bordered on sentimental or as you say fan service-y. I would have of course preferred a season rather than a movie, or at least a longer movie, but if you look at it in terms of "here's the best thing we could possibly do in cramming key events of what might have been a final season into one 109 minute film" the thing was borderline glorious. (Not a knock against Deadwood or any other program, but if even something as brazenly original as Deadwood comes back to follow a basic reunion formula of adhering tightly to established plot points as though no time had passed for new ones to emerge, it really serves to show just how far outside the box The Return was in terms of its style of 25-years later storytelling. There's just nothing like it.)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

OK, you guys somewhat convinced me S 3 is critically more well-regarded than I thought. I guess we must really walk different paths if we came to conclusions which are so far apart, huh? Interesting thing LateReg notes about S 3 being more warmly received among the mainstream, casual viewership than diehard fans - gives me something to ponder...

Thanks to all for contributing your thoughts regarding the Deadwood movie! I was aware of its existence, but haven't gotten around to checking it out yet - judging from what I hear (and saw in the trailer), it's a must-see for sure. It's a deal, LateReg, I'll let you know how I'll feel about GOT's ending, once I reach it (going by my present tempo, it won't be before the end of July). I've heard some things, of course, though I try to avoid the spoilers, and have my worries; not so much as to the contents of the direction they went it, but as to the final season(s) being artificially, forcefully shortened on account of showrunners' short-sighted determination to end it as swiftly as possible (because they supposedly just wanted to be done with it on the account of other projects they have going). I'm usually not the one for hasty, abrupt conclusions, if they are not warranted by the storytelling logic or inherent needs of the story that's being told. And with the shows I like, I especially want them to take their time ending them.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think the fandom is somewhat split on it. I don't think it's 50/50 or as harsh as FWWM, but the split exists. Which is fine by me and what I expected.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I think the so-called split in the fandom regarding FWWM dwindled with time - nowadays, everyone seems to love it and lists it among their favourite Lynch creations. And this situation already persists for years and years now. I have always been its rabid fan, from day one, and couldn't believe hardcore TP fans were as harsh on it as they reportedly have been; on the other hand, the general public's and critics' lukewarm, at times even hostile, reception is something I can/could comprehend, since the flick doubled down on those aspects of the show's second season which came after the mainstream has already given the show its boot and weren't likely to convince those who turned their backs on the show because of "absurdist, supernatural drivel" that - in their view - clogged up Season One's compelling mystery in the first place.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

This is so scary!!! But I could totally see this being used to get BoB or any key Twin Peaks characters back to life, if a Season 4 were to come. Check out all the other videos on the channel
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

krishnanspace wrote:
This is so scary!!! But I could totally see this being used to get BoB or any key Twin Peaks characters back to life, if a Season 4 were to come. Check out all the other videos on the channel
Are you saying you prefer this to the Bob orb?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
Are you saying you prefer this to the Bob orb?
This is very much in the uncanny valley, but if this guy was given some budget I could see BoB being resurrected.it could be like the Me.C mirror scene from Part 5. That scene is way more terrifying than the BoB orb.
If you show this to someone who hasn't seen Terminator, he would believe that the movie started Stallone
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Agent Earle wrote:Interesting thing LateReg notes about S 3 being more warmly received among the mainstream, casual viewership than diehard fans - gives me something to ponder...
I think that's a broad generalization. I consider myself a TP diehard and I loved S3, but I'm also more of a Lynch fan overall. But it's not the mainstream that received it well, it's art critics and other creatives, from what I see. Just this week Jim Jarmusch talked about how much he loved it.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

AXX°N N. wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Interesting thing LateReg notes about S 3 being more warmly received among the mainstream, casual viewership than diehard fans - gives me something to ponder...
I think that's a broad generalization. I consider myself a TP diehard and I loved S3, but I'm also more of a Lynch fan overall. But it's not the mainstream that received it well, it's art critics and other creatives, from what I see. Just this week Jim Jarmusch talked about how much he loved it.
Right. That's more what I was saying. I was saying that, if anything, it's the Twin Peaks fans that are divided on it far more so than critics, filmmakers and lovers of cinema as an artform. I wouldn't say that this is something that is praised in the mainstream, and I never meant to imply that, except as it applies to many critics that fall into the mainstream. But that's not what I would consider casual or mainstream viewers. It also goes back to the Twin Peaks' fans vs. Lynch fans debate. There's no blanket that easily encompasses one's tastes, but there are diehard Lynch fans out there that aren't necessarily diehard Twin Peaks fans (and vice versa), and die hard fans of great cinema that value Lynch more than Twin Peaks. This might make them casual Twin Peaks fans, but not necessarily mainstream in taste or casual about their appreciation of cinema. But I'd hardly consider someone like, for example, critic Jonathan Rosenbaum to have mainstream tastes. He considers Lynch's finest film to be Eraserhead, and that Lynch didn't achieve those heights again until he returned closer to those experimental roots with both INLAND EMPIRE and The Return.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

LateReg wrote:Right. That's more what I was saying. I was saying that, if anything, it's the Twin Peaks fans that are divided on it far more so than critics, filmmakers and lovers of cinema as an artform. I wouldn't say that this is something that is praised in the mainstream, and I never meant to imply that, except as it applies to many critics that fall into the mainstream. But that's not what I would consider casual or mainstream viewers. It also goes back to the Twin Peaks' fans vs. Lynch fans debate. There's no blanket that easily encompasses one's tastes, but there are diehard Lynch fans out there that aren't necessarily diehard Twin Peaks fans (and vice versa), and die hard fans of great cinema that value Lynch more than Twin Peaks. This might make them casual Twin Peaks fans, but not necessarily mainstream in taste or casual about their appreciation of cinema. But I'd hardly consider someone like, for example, critic Jonathan Rosenbaum to have mainstream tastes. He considers Lynch's finest film to be Eraserhead, and that Lynch didn't achieve those heights again until he returned closer to those experimental roots with both INLAND EMPIRE and The Return.
Right. And I feel like this tends into the territory where we all presume too much about how anyone fits into the criteria of a TP diehard, or what does or does not confer diehard status. Like, I've made my assumptions about a prominent critic or, I guess it boils down to anyone well known, and how they can't possibly approach media like I do, but then I see them saying how they've watched X thing obsessively, know this or that thing I suspected was esoteric to anyone but devotee forum posters, etc. If DFW's artistic life was jumpstarted by Blue Velvet, should I consider myself a bigger devotee than him just because I've owned 5 copies and maybe watched it more times? Or Zizek writing an entire book about Lost Highway--doesn't that trump a lot of people's experience in relating to the film? I've probably never thought as in depth before about it, even though I imagine it's a 'special' film to me. It's all sort of loose. From my experience, I think the split is on this board specifically--it doesn't really exist in the fest community or other online communities, or in my own friend groups. I think the base of people who have a really intimate relationship with the show does not exactly synch 1:1 to the posters of this forum or anything.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
FullBlossomOfTheEve

Post by FullBlossomOfTheEve »

Kyle was in Paris yesterday. He did a masterclass and they also showed Part1&2 and Part8 on a big screen.

The masterclass should be available there: https://www.facebook.com/Lynchland/

Kyle was perfect, he signed my TP blu-ray boxset. I was all over the moon.

I was lucky to be there. Part 8. on a big screen, well, no words can describe how it was.

Nobody asked about a season 4 during the Q&A session but Kyle did some other interviews with a couple of French media.
Sadly in one of them, they are mentioning season 4. It is not an actual quote from him so be careful but the journalist says that "the actor still wishes to work again with David Lynch, not with Twin Peaks that he considers done/over, but with a new project"

This is the part of the interview:

Aujourd’hui, l’acteur espère toujours retourner avec David Lynch, pas une suite à Twin Peak qu’il estime terminé, mais un tout nouveau projet. « J’ai recommencé à cuisiner David pour savoir si on pourrait faire un nouveau film ensemble, mais il me laisse mariner »

You can find the full interview there (in French)

https://www.20minutes.fr/arts-stars/cin ... change-vie