Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:I think she is talking about Season 4 or a movie and was offered scale once again but used the word Reunion in order to not break her NDA.
I think that’s reading way too much into her ramblings. But I guess time will tell.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I love Fenn but not when she causes Twin Peaks drama. She should quit social media imo. Lynch shows great patience keeping her as Audrey. I'm all for equal pay but I wonder if Fenn would be upset for the men if she was paid the most and they weren't ????
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

TwinsPeak wrote:I love Fenn but not when she causes Twin Peaks drama. She should quit social media imo. Lynch shows great patience keeping her as Audrey. I'm all for equal pay but I wonder if Fenn would be upset for the men if she was paid the most and they weren't ????
I think there is a well-documented pay disparity in Hollywood, but I also think think some people make unrealistic complaints. For instance, I believe Fenn has implied at various points that her profile vis a vis TP should be on par with Kyle, which is absurd. Pay, and the order actors are billed/credited, ideally should be based on a balance between the size of the role and the marquis value of the actor’s name. Audrey is undeniably pretty high up there in the world of TP, and she may well have some legitimate grievances how she’s been compensated, but the way she presents her arguments does her no favors.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
TwinsPeak wrote:I love Fenn but not when she causes Twin Peaks drama. She should quit social media imo. Lynch shows great patience keeping her as Audrey. I'm all for equal pay but I wonder if Fenn would be upset for the men if she was paid the most and they weren't ????
For instance, I believe Fenn has implied at various points that her profile vis a vis TP should be on par with Kyle, which is absurd. Pay, and the order actors are billed/credited, ideally should be based on a balance between the size of the role and the marquis value of the actor’s name. Audrey is undeniably pretty high up there in the world of TP, and she may well have some legitimate grievances how she’s been compensated, but the way she presents her arguments does her no favors.
I don’t think for Sherilyn it was just about her and her role, but all of the women in Twin Peaks (Madchen, Peggy, etc) and in the world in general.

I will give her a little leeway on this. The women of Twin Peaks were a key selling point during the original run, and all of them were somewhat marginalized for The Return.

Let’s face it; women have made gains in Hollywood but most of the bankable stars are still men.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think going after Lynch is unfair, though. With the exception of LH, all his feature films from W@H onward have had female leads, and the last couple were extremely female-centric. He’s also consistently employed women behind the camera, as producers, production designers, etc. He just told the story he wanted to tell in TP:TR, which was Cooper-centric and didn’t have a ton of room for the original characters, male or female.

Now, if a person of color were to criticize Lynch for underrepresentation, that would be a much more legitimate complaint.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I think Fenn took a lot of hits for what many were feeling but couldn’t say.

I think everyone was honored though with working on the project again and all love and appreciate Lynch and Frost.

You have to remember most of these actors are still struggling and just trying to get by and put food on the table for their families. Not saying it’s right behavior, but it’s natural for some frustration to creep in from time to time when it can be perceived that a corporation like CBS is making money off your likeness from something iconic thirty years ago and you’re making scale for a few days work. It’s an unnatural event that can’t really be fathomed unless you’ve experienced it.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

It's fair to question the role of women in S3, but the issue is very nuanced and twitter is an inherently poor platform to express it. It comes off that SF is primarily upset that she didn't have a bigger role, but she only has 280 characters to say anything. Kyle was the only headlining star that was signed for the project, and you can't really compare him to anyone else. I think you'd have to take Naomi Watt's and Laura Dern's roles into account... they both had significant screen time that rivaled any other supporting role in the season.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

ManBehindWinkies wrote:It's fair to question the role of women in S3, but the issue is very nuanced and twitter is an inherently poor platform to express it. It comes off that SF is primarily upset that she didn't have a bigger role, but she only has 280 characters to say anything. Kyle was the only headlining star that was signed for the project, and you can't really compare him to anyone else. I think you'd have to take Naomi Watt's and Laura Dern's roles into account... they both had significant screen time that rivaled any other supporting role in the season.
Fenn also got one of the most enigmatic, exciting roles of the season, essentially her own mysterious side-story (which was specifically written at her request when she didn't like the original script).
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Fenn somehow felt entitled to a big role and a huge pay day. Only thing is, she was never the primary co-star of "Twin Peaks". Prominent sure, but to think that Audrey Horne as a character was as closely linked to the plot as Dale Cooper or Laura Palmer was absurd. I don't think these writers owe her anything financially or otherwise. If she is in financial trouble it is probably not the fault of Lynch/Frost productions, all they did was offer her a part - then and now. Presenting this as an example of gender discrimination is a disservice to all of the actual gender discrimination going on in Holywood.

That being said, it is certainly fair that she asked them to revise the plot for the character if she was to be involved. Could the return have worked almost as well without seeing Audrey - probably? Was I happy that Fenn chose to appear, yes.

If any female actor or character was short changed and whose absence was glaring it was Heather Graham's Annie Blackburne. A mistake that will hopefully be rectified in season 4 (also nothing in "The Final Dossier" prevents her from re-entering the plot).
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Not to throw gasoline on that but....

You have to put it in context for some of the performers of when the show was a hit. And the show was really only a hit from April 1990 to about December 1990, questionably September 1990. And while Laura Palmer has grown epsecially due to the internet fan community and the constant reappraisal of the film Fire Walk With Me, she was largely the enigmatic girl wrapped in plastic. Cooper and doughnuts and cherry pie and dancing dwarfs were big, but Audrey was right up there getting the most magazine covers and articles. And she did get the Emmy and Golden Globe noms. Fenn was pretty much the IT Girl of 1990. (Along with Sinead O’Connor). Even Frost talks about in an interview when they had to scrape the Cooper, Audrey plot that he thought it was a sure fire arc to lure in viewers because, “that’s what all our mail was about.”

I’m just putting it into context of the time and especially if some actors are revisiting it and remembering from that time.

Hell, I’m still shocked that Lynch and Frost would not want to have Piper Laurie back. I’m like guys, you have Laurie, Beymer and Fenn at your disposal, three dynamite actors that make your world so damn good.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

How can a writer or director owe anyone anything? I'm really struggling with the concept here, someone help me out please.
An artist does what he/she wants. Actors with the proper amount of humility acknowledge their role as colors at a painter's disposal. I can't see how they can possibly be owed anything by someone who created a world and gave them a role out of thin air in the first place.
I'll see you in the trees
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Of course, you’re correct. But putting things in context of people’s point of view. And people get frustrated, especially if they’re struggling. Art is art, but when money comes involved and people trying to make livings, of course feelings get complicated.

Not saying certain people are right or wrong.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Audrey Horne wrote:Not to throw gasoline on that but....

You have to put it in context for some of the performers of when the show was a hit. And the show was really only a hit from April 1990 to about December 1990, questionably September 1990. And while Laura Palmer has grown epsecially due to the internet fan community and the constant reappraisal of the film Fire Walk With Me, she was largely the enigmatic girl wrapped in plastic. Cooper and doughnuts and cherry pie and dancing dwarfs were big, but Audrey was right up there getting the most magazine covers and articles. And she did get the Emmy and Golden Globe noms. Fenn was pretty much the IT Girl of 1990. (Along with Sinead O’Connor). Even Frost talks about in an interview when they had to scrape the Cooper, Audrey plot that he thought it was a sure fire arc to lure in viewers because, “that’s what all our mail was about.”

I’m just putting it into context of the time and especially if some actors are revisiting it and remembering from that time.

Hell, I’m still shocked that Lynch and Frost would not want to have Piper Laurie back. I’m like guys, you have Laurie, Beymer and Fenn at your disposal, three dynamite actors that make your world so damn good.

I agree with you. Audrey was forsure the IT girl. Her look was the most iconic. She's a huge part of Twin Peaks and could have been even more had the Coop romance blossomed. I think she's right about asking is it Twin Peaks without Audrey. It's Fenn not Audrey that seems to cause problems sometimes. And I don't think Fenn understands that Audrey belongs to Lynch even more than Fenn. The equal pay issue I think is where she's making her mistake. Personally I think she just wants more money rather than all girls or equal pay across the board. But don't get me wrong I think Fenn is great and is amazing as Audrey. I just don't think she should be on social media.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Rainwater wrote:How can a writer or director owe anyone anything? I'm really struggling with the concept here, someone help me out please.
An artist does what he/she wants. Actors with the proper amount of humility acknowledge their role as colors at a painter's disposal. I can't see how they can possibly be owed anything by someone who created a world and gave them a role out of thin air in the first place.
I didn't see anything in the most recent Tweets by Fenn stating she was owed anything.

In fact, it's really hard to have this discussion without knowing exactly to what Fenn is referring.

But as a general guide, I don't think anything in her most recent Tweets are things most of us would disagree with: 1) it wouldn't be a true TP renion without Audrey and 2) Women deserve the equal of men.

Thus, I would not immediately jump to the conclusion that Sherilyn does not have a valid concern. I think we need to know more about the situation. Hopefully the 'more' is about a new season or a movie.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Audrey Horne wrote: Hell, I’m still shocked that Lynch and Frost would not want to have Piper Laurie back. I’m like guys, you have Laurie, Beymer and Fenn at your disposal, three dynamite actors that make your world so damn good.
That really is a head scratcher. And I don't buy that they just didn't have a place for her in the script. they shoehorned Gary Hershberger in for a cameo as well as Alicia Witt for two scenes with almost no dialogue.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly