Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

“Just some person in LA.”

Yeah, because rumors never get started in Tinseltown. :roll:

In actual legitimate journalism, you need two corroborating sources.

They just admitted they have no source. Some guy in a coffee shop was shooting off his mouth and they decided to try to get some hits. Assuming they didn’t just entirely make the whole thing up wholecloth. Either way, it amounts to the same thing. Zero credibility.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

OneandtheSame wrote:So what do we make of this?
https://www.facebook.com/43696443634268 ... 746963227/
When asked to elaborate, they answered: "Basic info gleaned from someone in LA hearing from someone who worked on season 3 and with Lynch". :lol:
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Jerry Horne wrote:I've just read 'Conversations with Mark Frost' by David Bushman. I don't want to quote the book or spoil anything as everybody should read it, and hopefully I'm wrong, but if someone forced me to try and predict if the show was coming back based on Frost's words, I'd say no.

Of course anything can happen. I'll live in hope but a little more quietly from here on out.
I got the impression the book is not supposed to come out until March; I have it on my radar for some time, am very interested in reading it (I enjoy Frost's eloquent elaborations much more than Lynch's cryptic one-liners). You don't have to say anything concrete, but just on the general, would you say there is any sizeable information regarding the production of S 3 - I mean thein-depth, behind-the-scenes stuff (about why certain storytelling decisions were made, the casting process, the absence of certain people etc.) that wasn't in the special features of the two box-sets or already said elsewhere?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

krishnanspace wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I've just read 'Conversations with Mark Frost' by David Bushman. I don't want to quote the book or spoil anything as everybody should read it, and hopefully I'm wrong, but if someone forced me to try and predict if the show was coming back based on Frost's words, I'd say no.

Of course anything can happen. I'll live in hope but a little more quietly from here on out.
Hmm.. but wasn’t Mark thonking of a season 4 some time ago ? https://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/twin- ... 201891106/
Well that was two and a half years ago. The interviews in the book are more recent. Mark is very careful in his answers. He states he wants to keep hope alive for people then adds he never wants to close the door "entirely".

Listen, Mark is very capable of using language like that and who knows, maybe he's putting the finishing touches on the S4 script at the same time.

But in my opinion, the language that's used to describe the relationship between himself and David seems strained. There are a few moments of candidness that surprised me.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

baxter wrote:How did you get hold of the Mark Frost book? In Australia, I'm seeing a release date of March 12th.
I received an advanced copy as I donated some rare materials to be used in the book. One thing I think people will really enjoy is a two page letter from Mark to his agent Ed Victor concerning writing a book about the history of Twin Peaks. The letter dates to circa Season One.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Agent Earle wrote:

I got the impression the book is not supposed to come out until March; I have it on my radar for some time, am very interested in reading it (I enjoy Frost's eloquent elaborations much more than Lynch's cryptic one-liners). You don't have to say anything concrete, but just on the general, would you say there is any sizeable information regarding the production of S 3 - I mean thein-depth, behind-the-scenes stuff (about why certain storytelling decisions were made, the casting process, the absence of certain people etc.) that wasn't in the special features of the two box-sets or already said elsewhere?
All of these are asked and answered to varying degrees of completeness.

There are times when he politely avoids spoiler answers, but he also throws out a few nuggets that surprised me.

If you are remotely interested in Twin Peaks, get the book.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Thanks Jerry - I can't wait to read it!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:

All of these are asked and answered to varying degrees of completeness.

There are times when he politely avoids spoiler answers, but he also throws out a few nuggets that surprised me.

If you are remotely interested in Twin Peaks, get the book.
Wow, thanks a lot! Now I'm definitely getting it!
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

krishnanspace wrote:Hmm.. but wasn’t Mark thonking of a season 4 some time ago ? https://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/twin- ... 201891106/
There were several quotes from Frost around that time that seemed to strongly indicate that more was on the way. However, none of the rest of us will be able to read what Jerry's read for many more weeks. And those quotes are likely to be more recent.

Another thing is that even if the show was in some state of pre-production at Showtime, it seems that there are some big structural changes happening there, that could jeopardise things.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/ray-donova ... cellation/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jerry Horne wrote:

But in my opinion, the language that's used to describe the relationship between himself and David seems strained. There are a few moments of candidness that surprised me.
That’s too bad. I know that’s been speculated about, but other than the Twitter thing (and the strange lack of any post-TP:TR interview with Mark for Room to Dream), it had been pure unfounded gossip. Mark has been nothing but positive in his public comments about TP:TR. Personality-wise, I’ve always had a difficult time even imagining them interacting.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Jerry Horne wrote:

Sounds very interesting. can't wait to read it.

If I had to guess tho, I've been thinking for a while that Lynch wants Twin Peaks for himself. Frost seemed to be unwanted during season 3. Just a guess tho. Sadly I don't think Lynch likes to share credit or creative. I wonder if this is the hold up on future seasons.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:

That’s too bad. I know that’s been speculated about, but other than the Twitter thing (and the strange lack of any post-TP:TR interview with Mark for Room to Dream), it had been pure unfounded gossip. Mark has been nothing but positive in his public comments about TP:TR. Personality-wise, I’ve always had a difficult time even imagining them interacting.

Yeah they seem like pure opposites. It seemed to work so well back in the day.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

krishnanspace wrote:Also watch out for Kyle. If he dyes his hair black, it might be an indication that something is up
Maybe we should be hoping that Kyle's sitcom gets canceled so he can change his hair freely. If it gets picked up for season 2, he might end up having to wear a wig if he were to play Cooper again.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

TwinsPeak wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:

Sounds very interesting. can't wait to read it.

If I had to guess tho, I've been thinking for a while that Lynch wants Twin Peaks for himself. Frost seemed to be unwanted during season 3. Just a guess tho. Sadly I don't think Lynch likes to share credit or creative. I wonder if this is the hold up on future seasons.
I don’t think that’s it. Lynch readily talked about Mark whenever he discussed the script phase, and I think in one interview he said TP:TR was 60% DKL and 40% Mark (I believe), which struck me as generous given that Lynch was the director in addition to being half the writing team.

I wonder if Frost was upset at the quotes in Room to Dream from Tony Krantz, where he says the show broke down because Mark was jealous of David. It struck me as insulting and unprofessional that Lynch/McKenna used that quote, especially since Lynch says elsewhere that he doesn’t trust Krantz and would never work with him again. By making that part of the narrative, it comes across as Lynch endorsing the sentiment. I know Lynch did not want to interfere with McKenna’s chapters because he wanted a candid, sometimes unflattering profile, but he really should have nixed that portion. I can’t imagine being Mark and reading that about myself in a book partially written by and endorsed by a colleague/friend. I’d be furious.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'll def be reading it. I do think fandom often has had a tendency to read much into little and catastrophize, but I trust Jerry's take implicitly. IF there's a rift I hope it can be mended, but I'll judge for myself. (Feel free to PM me, lol)
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.