Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
LateReg

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby LateReg » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:10 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I’m not sure how much corner-cutting went on. Remember, Lynch walked away, and he and Sutherland made an all-or-nothing ultimatum on the budget they wanted, which Showtime granted. This is the narrative Lynch and Sutherland have told, so I find it hard to fault Showtime for any budget issues. I do recall Lynch in a prep session on one of the documentaries bemoaning the typical Hollywood process and saying he could have spent a month on the Fireman’s set “going dreamy,” but that’s him wishing all movies were made the Eraserhead way. I’m not sure he would have a better experience at Netflix. Showtime gave him a tremendous amount of autonomy and the budget he asked for, even if it ended up not being enough in his eyes.

I could see RR as either a feature or series. It does seem that Lynch has gotten a lot looser with runtimes between INLAND EMPIRE and the epic TP:TR, and I could definitely see Lynch expanding it to a ten-hour series or something. Maybe that opportunity to expand the world would be the key to fixing whatever he feels is wrong in the script.

I don't think much corner cutting went on, either. What I was specifically and only referring to was...wasn't there a scene or two that Lynch had envisioned that he couldn't film due to budget constraints? I thought that was discussed somewhere on this board. Something that was supposed to be much more elaborate (and no, I'm not talking about Green Glove scene). There was also that instance of Peter Deming stating via tweet or whatever that it would have been nice to have some of the money that Showtime was dishing out during the awards campaign while they were filming. I don't think Lynch truly got the budget he wanted to completely fulfill the maximum of his vision, and I think they worked very tight. I think, like anything, it was a compromise, which you seem to also be saying. All I'm saying is that Netflix would probably give him the higher, less compromised budget, and equal freedom, no questions asked.
krishnanspace

Postby krishnanspace » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:32 am

Anyone notice that Twin Peaks Season 3 has been removed from Netflix Argentina, Brazil and Mexico. It was on there last week and today its not there
eyeboogers

Postby eyeboogers » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:47 pm

krishnanspace wrote:Anyone notice that Twin Peaks Season 3 has been removed from Netflix Argentina, Brazil and Mexico. It was on there last week and today its not there

In Scandinavia it has just been removed from its home on HBO Nordic, as well as the original series. It does not seem to have appeared on another streaming service. We have also started to see different products popping up, licensed to coincide with at Twin Peaks 30 celebration. I don't know what was planned for this year before the corona virus hit, but something definitely was
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:06 pm

The idea of Lynch doing any kind of serious filming in the near-future still seems crazy to me, especially since he was (is?) isolating from his wife and daughter. California is at its worst point yet with virus deaths.

Then again, maybe Lynch and co. are planning to film in New Zealand. :D

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/lord-o ... 234698111/
“Our success at managing COVID-19 gives our country an opportunity to become one of the few countries still able to safely produce screen content,” Economic Development Minister Phil Twyford said in a statement obtained by Stuff. “The inquiries and interest we are getting from international production houses tells me that the international film community sees New Zealand as something of a global safe haven.“This is an opportunity friends that we must grab. Despite the turmoil that the world is facing, this is an exciting time for New Zealand’s screen sector.”

Right now they're letting people back in for Amazon's Lord of the Rings prequel, the Avatar sequel, Cowboy Bebop and several other projects.

EDIT: I don't seriously expect this to happen, but it probably would be easier to make parts of New Zealand look like Snoqualmie than it was to try to do the same in the vicinity of Hollywood.
krishnanspace

Postby krishnanspace » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:19 pm

Jasper wrote:The idea of Lynch doing any kind of serious filming in the near-future still seems crazy to me, especially since he was (is?) isolating from his wife and daughter. California is at its worst point yet with virus deaths.

Then again, maybe Lynch and co. are planning to film in New Zealand. :D

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/lord-o ... 234698111/
“Our success at managing COVID-19 gives our country an opportunity to become one of the few countries still able to safely produce screen content,” Economic Development Minister Phil Twyford said in a statement obtained by Stuff. “The inquiries and interest we are getting from international production houses tells me that the international film community sees New Zealand as something of a global safe haven.“This is an opportunity friends that we must grab. Despite the turmoil that the world is facing, this is an exciting time for New Zealand’s screen sector.”

Right now they're letting people back in for Amazon's Lord of the Rings prequel, the Avatar sequel, Cowboy Bebop and several other projects.

EDIT: I don't seriously expect this to happen, but it probably would be easier to make parts of New Zealand look like Snoqualmie than it was to try to do the same in the vicinity of Hollywood.

Wouldn’t that be a costly affair? I mean getting all the cast /crew and equipment in New Zealand .
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:41 pm

Jasper wrote:The idea of Lynch doing any kind of serious filming in the near-future still seems crazy to me, especially since he was (is?) isolating from his wife and daughter. California is at its worst point yet with virus deaths.

Agreed. Although interesting that this video from 7/17 seems to show someone filming Lynch (the camera follows him throughout, different from his other pandemic-era videos where the camera position is locked): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kYDrjfYrTF8

It would appear he has started letting at least one person into his home? It’s a start!
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:05 pm

krishnanspace wrote:
Jasper wrote:EDIT: I don't seriously expect this to happen, but it probably would be easier to make parts of New Zealand look like Snoqualmie than it was to try to do the same in the vicinity of Hollywood.

Wouldn’t that be a costly affair? I mean getting all the cast /crew and equipment in New Zealand .

I don't really know. I mean, if they get everyone there and quarantine them for a short spell, then they can pretty much do business as usual. In the states they'd definitely be spending a lot on Covid mitigation efforts, and if Lynch or a main actor got sick, that would really cost a lot.

Most non-Hollywood filming locales of any note offer all sorts of financial incentives for film projects, so that's probably the case with NZ as well.

In any case, I'm not even convinced that this is about TP, let alone that they'd take the extremely unlikely step of filming in NZ. (Though they could do a crossover called "Twin Peaks: A Precious Circle" where a dancing Hobbit sends Cooper on a quest to recover the owl cave ring and, um...no never mind. :lol: )
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:10 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:

Agreed. Although interesting that this video from 7/17 seems to show someone filming Lynch (the camera follows him throughout, different from his other pandemic-era videos where the camera position is locked): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kYDrjfYrTF8

It would appear he has started letting at least one person into his home? It’s a start!

Interesting. Maybe it's Emily on camera duty.
baxter

Postby baxter » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:18 pm

I love that idea Jasper! :-D
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:48 pm

If they are actually working on something TP-related, at least we know that Lynch/Frost have ample experience doing collaborative writing in a socially-distanced manner. (Though if it is TP, the writing might be largely done.)

baxter wrote:I love that idea Jasper! :-D

Well, that makes exactly one of us. :)
krishnanspace

Postby krishnanspace » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:11 pm

Lol. Now that I think about it , Twin Peaks is very similar to Lord of the Rings.
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:18 am

krishnanspace wrote:Lol. Now that I think about it , Twin Peaks is very similar to Lord of the Rings.

They could do a prequel to the Return, including what happened as a result of this ring theft. (I don't imagine that things went particularly well for our nurse.)

nurse_sneaky.jpg
nurse_sneaky.jpg (76.84 KiB) Viewed 858 times
boske

Postby boske » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:32 am

A while back in the disappointed thread I suggested they film a Dougie Jones Las Vegas prequel (I think the name suggested was "Blue Desert Rose" or "Twin Peaks: Dougie Talk To Me") exploring the original Dougie's final seven days, 119 mom, Lucky 7 shenanigans, connections between Diane and Janey-E, Jade, etc. :lol:
Jacob

Postby Jacob » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:43 pm

Jasper wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:

Interesting. Maybe it's Emily on camera duty.

It's Sabrina Sutherland. She's been visiting him. Lynch isn't that secluded and I'm not sure he's that much afraid of the virus. I mostly think he find it pretty cool to be isolated from his wife and daughter, it's easier to work this way (in fact he already isolated himself from them before the coronavirus, Kristine McKenna explained it in "Room to Dream").

Anyway, Lynch has been teasing us with a mysterious jar in his last videos, maybe he'll use it in the next project :D
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:31 pm

boske wrote:A while back in the disappointed thread I suggested they film a Dougie Jones Las Vegas prequel (I think the name suggested was "Blue Desert Rose" or "Twin Peaks: Dougie Talk To Me") exploring the original Dougie's final seven days, 119 mom, Lucky 7 shenanigans, connections between Diane and Janey-E, Jade, etc. :lol:

FWWM, but with Dougie? Hey, I'd watch it. I mentioned that I'd enjoy a comedy/drama about the new Dougie tulpa. A show could even do both, being a Dougie-centric prequel and sequel to the Return.

EDIT: Either one or both of these things would require a different actor to play Sonny Jim. I just looked at Wikipedia, and Pierce Gagnon is now 15, so I guess he'd have been about 10-11 when they filmed TR.
Last edited by Jasper on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”