Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by krishnanspace »

Even the oldest person to ever live used to smoke everyday
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
What fun would life (or art) be without contradictions? ;)[/quote]

There's a great book I'm reading now entitled Sapiens that makes this exact point: we are all walking contradictions. That's good you are reinforcing it for me!

Edit: the other major Lynch contradiction; in interviews, always sunny and radiating optimism, while his favorite characters end up trapped forever in a time loop.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

mtwentz wrote:Have you ever noted the contradiction of a guy who 1) promotes Transcendental Meditation 2) yet for his meals eats pancakes slathered in butter and syrup (with bacon on the side) and smokes like a chimney :D ?
There's nothing wrong with relaxing. Life is hard. So pancakes slathered in butter and syrup, and smoking, well if those can alleviate some stress, then more power to those who partake. Personally I wouldn't dream of smoking cigarettes but to each their own.

For me it's the bacon that stands out here.
mtwentz wrote:Edit: the other major Lynch contradiction; in interviews, always sunny and radiating optimism, while his favorite characters end up trapped forever in a time loop.
Sounds like real life.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

N. Needleman wrote:I just hope they do it before too many more people croak. :|

C'mon, we're all thinking it!
Yep - but regardless of age or unhealthy habits, we all know tomorrow is never promised.

Hope this isn't oversharing, but my Mom has had several strokes and is in the early phases of dementia and it's hard - I feel like I'm losing a little piece of her every day. That's why you enjoy every friendship, every doughnut, and every cup of coffee. To me, that's what the heart of Twin Peaks was always about and always will be whether or not we see a Season 4.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Hester Prynne wrote:Yep - but regardless of age or unhealthy habits, we all know tomorrow is never promised.

Hope this isn't oversharing, but my Mom has had several strokes and is in the early phases of dementia and it's hard - I feel like I'm losing a little piece of her every day. That's why you enjoy every friendship, every doughnut, and every cup of coffee. To me, that's what the heart of Twin Peaks was always about and always will be whether or not we see a Season 4.
That's not oversharing, it's your reality right now. It sounds very agonizing and heartbreaking to endure and talking about it is one of the only ways you can address it.

I'm with you on making the most of today. My son is approaching 5 and I try very hard to appreciate each moment knowing he won't be the same person tomorrow, and that I'll inevitably forget so many of the unique insights he voices on a daily basis while encountering new things in life. Sometimes I'm really tired or busy and catch myself slipping out of the present, but when it comes to this most important of things -- being close to others and sharing in the present -- there are no good excuses.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Have you ever noted the contradiction of a guy who 1) promotes Transcendental Meditation 2) yet for his meals eats pancakes slathered in butter and syrup (with bacon on the side) and smokes like a chimney :D ?
There's nothing wrong with relaxing. Life is hard. So pancakes slathered in butter and syrup, and smoking, well if those can alleviate some stress, then more power to those who partake. Personally I wouldn't dream of smoking cigarettes but to each their own.

For me it's the bacon that stands out here.
mtwentz wrote:Edit: the other major Lynch contradiction; in interviews, always sunny and radiating optimism, while his favorite characters end up trapped forever in a time loop.
Sounds like real life.
Well, we can debate that, but the basic contradiction is that the image most of us have of people meditate seriously are the same folks who tend to be uber-healthy eaters (often vegetarian or vegans) and would never touch a cigarette.

I realize that's a broad generalization, but that would be the general image. Meditation, pancakes/bacon and cigarettes is an unusual combo :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Hester Prynne wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I just hope they do it before too many more people croak. :|

C'mon, we're all thinking it!
Yep - but regardless of age or unhealthy habits, we all know tomorrow is never promised.

My father just got out of bypass surgery last week, which I tried to strenuously argue he shouldn't do at his age (87) without a second opinion first.

He had a stroke during the operation and I am just praying he is able to recover to his full self, but I am starting to have my doubts.

Very sorry about your mother. I am afraid that is the road down which my father will go, and it didn't have to happen.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Stroke is a bitch, I lost my grandfather to a stroke
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

mtwentz wrote: My father just got out of bypass surgery last week, which I tried to strenuously argue he shouldn't do at his age (87) without a second opinion first.

He had a stroke during the operation and I am just praying he is able to recover to his full self, but I am starting to have my doubts.

Very sorry about your mother. I am afraid that is the road down which my father will go, and it didn't have to happen.
Thanks Mr. Strawberry, and MT, I'm so sorry about your Dad. My thoughts are with you and I hope for his recovery.

The experience of watching The Return after so much time has passed is something. We are light years ("you are far away") from where we were when we first watched this show so many years ago. Likewise, we also see that the characters (and actors) have also transformed. I think that is why the themes of identity, mortality, trying to go back into the past to change things, resonated so much.

Cooper was more focused on "the past dictating the future" instead of the present. Was part of going back in time to save Laura also about hoping he could change his own outcome getting trapped in the lodge? I hope if there is a Season 4 that we'll see a Coop finally facing whatever he is unable or unwilling to face in the lodge and that he will eventually find peace.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Hester Prynne wrote:
mtwentz wrote: My father just got out of bypass surgery last week, which I tried to strenuously argue he shouldn't do at his age (87) without a second opinion first.

Cooper was more focused on "the past dictating the future" instead of the present. Was part of going back in time to save Laura also about hoping he could change his own outcome getting trapped in the lodge? I hope if there is a Season 4 that we'll see a Coop finally facing whatever he is unable or unwilling to face in the lodge and that he will eventually find peace.
You would think that he would want to go back into time to change ever being in the Lodge, but I did not find evidence of this in the story. Everything seems to indicate Cooper was 'mission-driven' to the end, presumably to defeat Judy and save Laura.

And note that 'saving' Laura did not free him from the Lodge. It just meant he left the Lodge in a different manner.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:
You would think that he would want to go back into time to change ever being in the Lodge, but I did not find evidence of this in the story. Everything seems to indicate Cooper was 'mission-driven' to the end, presumably to defeat Judy and save Laura.

And note that 'saving' Laura did not free him from the Lodge. It just meant he left the Lodge in a different manner.
But a logical byproduct of saving Laura in the past is that it would prevent him from ever ending up in the lodge. I think that's the evidence of him doing it partially to never wind up in the lodge in the first place. Just because that didn't happen doesn't mean that wasn't part of his plan all along, or that it actually did prevent him from ever going to the lodge but he ended up there somehow else anyway.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:
mtwentz wrote:

But a logical byproduct of saving Laura in the past is that it would prevent him from ever ending up in the lodge. I think that's the evidence of him doing it partially to never wind up in the lodge in the first place. Just because that didn't happen doesn't mean that wasn't part of his plan all along, or that it actually did prevent him from ever going to the lodge but he ended up there somehow else anyway.
I don't think he could change being in the Lodge; this was the one circumstance Cooper could not change. 'I am dead, yet I live'- as Cooper hears Laura state this, he realizes there are two alternative futures, neither of which changes when he enters the Lodge or when he leaves it.

However, his actions inside the Lodge did change slightly, so who knows.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
TimeFlashes

Post by TimeFlashes »

This is regarding stuff that was said a couple of days ago, but whatever:

Lynch, in an interview that was posted ahortly after the ending of Season 3: "It’s too early to say if there will be a fourth season of the series. If that were the case, we would have to wait a few more years because it took me four-and-a-half years to write and record this [season]." (https://www.google.com/amp/s/ew.com/tv/ ... lynch/amp/).

He said "a few years". He probably has/has no clue how long it would take to complete Season 4.

I'd like to hear whaeterver he has to say about this now. It is possible that he already has some notion on how a potential Season 4 would and maybe he knows something about air time limitations, which was the main issue with Season 3.
Always a face to remind me.
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

TimeFlashes wrote:This is regarding stuff that was said a couple of days ago, but whatever:

Lynch, in an interview that was posted ahortly after the ending of Season 3: "It’s too early to say if there will be a fourth season of the series. If that were the case, we would have to wait a few more years because it took me four-and-a-half years to write and record this [season]." (https://www.google.com/amp/s/ew.com/tv/ ... lynch/amp/).

He said "a few years". He probably has/has no clue how long it would take to complete Season 4.

I'd like to hear whaeterver he has to say about this now. It is possible that he already has some notion on how a potential Season 4 would and maybe he knows something about air time limitations, which was the main issue with Season 3.
He said EXACTLY four years since 2017 by Skype in a q&q
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

Jerry Horne also know that Lynch said four years.