Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by IcedOver »

As far as money and Showtime, if it does continue, I think we can all agree it's likely to be shorter. Something shorter, probably for less or hopefully the same amount of money might be on the order of what Lynch would want to do. I just hope they work out the details before writing their script so they don't have a situation like last time with him walking away. I really believe this is all just desperate speculation on anybody's part, however.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jerry Horne wrote:My very first thought when the promotion continued after S3 was that they were buying time and keeping the show fresh in people's mind (perhaps at the behest of Showtime) during the long writing process. Even Lynch warned us this would take years.
That's precisely what I thought.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Hmm. 2 seasons in the 20th Century and 2 Seasons in the 21st Century. That would make sense
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

bowisneski wrote:I remember him saying on the documentary that he didn't ever want to work with such time constraints again because there wasn't much time for exploration.
Let's hope (for Lynch's sake at least) that if a new season does go ahead he gets time to live/swim in the world & really see what comes out of it. He probably doesn't have many directing opportunities left, unfortunately (though I'm more than happy to be proven wrong!), so I'd love for it to just be a situation where he could really sink in & spend time with it, see what happens. Fingers crossed hey.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Here's Lynch on time constraints. Nice detail: he smokes American Spirit, like Diane does.

Things like this could very well be some of the ''disturbances'' he was talking about.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

dkenny78 wrote:
Trudy Chelgren wrote: I love The Return, but I'm so hesitant about all this. I can't deny I would be open to, and excited for, a potential season 4. But I can't help thinking that a further continuation could leave all the really poignant themes of finality and loss in season 3 a little less potent. In my opinion the story's ended perfectly. It's so thematically sound and resonant. I know deep down that I really don't want any more.
The Season 2 finale, FWWM, and Part 18 of the Return are all perfect endings to the saga in their own ways. I have no doubt that, if Lynch and Frost choose to continue their story, they'll find a way to make it work and not have it feel tacked-on.
I was going to respond to Trudy, but you highlighted what I was going to say. Part of me believes that if a season 4 comes and is just as good but in a different way, it will somehow make season 3 less special, less unprecedented, etc. But, that's just a personal thought based on my feeling that what we got was truly a miracle, and as thematically sound and resonant as Trudy describes. As far as a new thing coming along and diminishing the really poignant themes, I'm with dkenny that every iteration of Twin Peaks so far has been its own self-contained thing. I don't think that anything season 4 does will take away from the themes of finality and loss in season 3 because I think it will be as unique to the universe as the previous incarnations, which all function as standalones with clear beginnings and endings as well as linear continuations of the story. Dale and Laura/Carrie going off on their adventure will probably highlight a whole new set of themes while building on those that came before, and it's also important to note how the loss of so many actors was central to the power of The Return. This won't be the same because due to both happy and sad serendipity it can't - from the loss of actors to the impossibility of returning after 25 years - and if it can't then it also shouldn't diminish what came before. That's just my speculation.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Check out @Kyle_MacLachlan’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/sta ... 73216?s=09
Hmmm
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Did we figure out why Kyle was at the Salish Lodge a few weeks ago?
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

hmm- how long ago was it? Could it be connected to this?

http://greatnorthwestwine.com/event/pur ... he-salish/

Or was it after that?
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

baxter wrote:hmm- how long ago was it? Could it be connected to this?

http://greatnorthwestwine.com/event/pur ... he-salish/

Or was it after that?
Thanks Baxter, I'm sure that was it (and if it was later, probably just a re-occurance of same).
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Haven't checked out this podcast, but someone mentioned that Kimmy is very positive about a Season 4.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/jed ... 71179&mt=2
OneandtheSame

Post by OneandtheSame »

Saw Ray Wise at Monster Mania Con in Maryland last weekend. Unprompted, when answering a different question he said he knows the parties that need need to be talking about another season are talking.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

OneandtheSame wrote:Saw Ray Wise at Monster Mania Con in Maryland last weekend. Unprompted, when answering a different question he said he knows the parties that need need to be talking about another season are talking.
Talking to each other?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

IcedOver wrote:
OneandtheSame wrote:Saw Ray Wise at Monster Mania Con in Maryland last weekend. Unprompted, when answering a different question he said he knows the parties that need need to be talking about another season are talking.
Talking to each other?
So Showtime and Lynch/Frost