Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Hester Prynne »

I'm sort of torn - while part of me is dying for a Season 4, there's also a part of me that is fine with Season 3 being the conclusion. Lynch and Frost are older and another season is such a huge amount of work, and if there is a Season 4, we'll be asking for a Season 5, 6, etc. - don't want them to end up hating it and just ending it. Season 3 was a gift we thought we'd never see after two decades - whether you loved it or hated it. Part of me wants them to leave the ending as Season 3 - end it on a high note and close the chapter. Yes, the ending is perplexing and ends with another mystery, but it's a perfect ending for the series.

Okay - having said all of that, if a Season 4 is in the works behind the scenes, I wonder if Showtime is waiting to announce later this year after the final season of Game of Thrones has aired and some of the hype has died down.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I would be happy if they give it a FWWM like ending
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:IIRC, no one has ever been ever able to provide a source for “FWWM trilogy” rumor (I think maybe the closest wasab interviewer asking Engels—whose memory is notoriously iffy—whether they planned to make more TP movies, and he said something along the lines of, “That sounds right”).
Agreed. It seems to all stem from Engels' off-handed comments, and the fact that Lynch signed a three-picture deal with CIBY-2000 in the early 90s, and FWWM was the first film he completed as part of what was a three-picture deal with that company.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

bosguy1981 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:IIRC, no one has ever been ever able to provide a source for “FWWM trilogy” rumor (I think maybe the closest wasab interviewer asking Engels—whose memory is notoriously iffy—whether they planned to make more TP movies, and he said something along the lines of, “That sounds right”).
Agreed. It seems to all stem from Engels' off-handed comments, and the fact that Lynch signed a three-picture deal with CIBY-2000 in the early 90s, and FWWM was the first film he completed as part of what was a three-picture deal with that company.
I do remember hearing or reading at the time that had FWWM flopped that there would have been two other films. But it was probably based on the same 3 picture deal info as cited above.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

I submit that any further would need to include Agent Chester Desmond.... ( or somesuch Blue Rose follow though)
...Crucial~...

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:
I do remember hearing or reading at the time that had FWWM flopped that there would have been two other films. But it was probably based on the same 3 picture deal info as cited above.
I think you mean , "had FWWM been a hit" :)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Oops, yes :-)

I come from an alternate timeline where FWWM was the No. Box office smash hit of 1992...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:Oops, yes :-)

I come from an alternate timeline where FWWM was the No. Box office smash hit of 1992...
mtwentz remembers the official timeline
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

Hester Prynne wrote:I'm sort of torn - while part of me is dying for a Season 4, there's also a part of me that is fine with Season 3 being the conclusion. Lynch and Frost are older and another season is such a huge amount of work, and if there is a Season 4, we'll be asking for a Season 5, 6, etc. - don't want them to end up hating it and just ending it. Season 3 was a gift we thought we'd never see after two decades - whether you loved it or hated it. Part of me wants them to leave the ending as Season 3 - end it on a high note and close the chapter. Yes, the ending is perplexing and ends with another mystery, but it's a perfect ending for the series.

Okay - having said all of that, if a Season 4 is in the works behind the scenes, I wonder if Showtime is waiting to announce later this year after the final season of Game of Thrones has aired and some of the hype has died down.
I'm also kind of torn. I know I feel a lot better about the end of season 3 being "THE END" than I ever did about how season 2 ended. People tried to tell me for years that season 2's ending was "open ended," but to me...it's a damn cliffhanger, no way around it. I mean, Coop being trapped in the Lodge, while having an evil version of himself assume his life and wreak havoc is a cliffhanger. As are the dangling fates of Audrey, Ben, Leo, and to a lesser extent, Nadine, Ed and Norma. If we never got an answer to those particular questions, it would have bugged me till my dying day.

But I don't feel the same way about season 3. In the case of Coop, I feel like I got closure. He got out of the Lodge, cleared his name, defeated his evil doppelganger AND Bob, and got to say farewell to his friends (even Harry, via his brother). Sure, he's in some alternate reality/timeline now, but that feels literally open ended. What happens now? Who knows! Maybe I don't feel the same sense of peril about his circumstances. I guess that's a personal thing.

The only character I feel I tinge of unresolved feeling for is poor Audrey. In my mind, I've come to a conclusion about what happened to her, but it's such a sad ending, the fanboy in me wanted something else. Plus I really wanted a Coop/Audrey reunion of some kind. I think I may only want season 4 for that reason.

So yeah, I'm torn. If they announce a season 4, amazing. If not, well....season 3 and both of Frost's books gave me WAY more Peaks than I ever thought I'd get less than four years ago, and gave me more answers than I ever thought I'd get, while leaving more tantalizing questions about the world of Peaks to continue to ponder and theorize about.
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

Audrey ~ Coop reunion???

Oh that would go well....

Have you met your half~son, Richard?

Deadbeat dad issues aside, that would be a fanastic scenario.

Poor Audrey....all i can ever say....
That Arc is the most desperately incomplete...of all.
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

Hester Prynne wrote:I'm sort of torn - while part of me is dying for a Season 4, there's also a part of me that is fine with Season 3 being the conclusion. Lynch and Frost are older and another season is such a huge amount of work, and if there is a Season 4, we'll be asking for a Season 5, 6, etc. - don't want them to end up hating it and just ending it. Season 3 was a gift we thought we'd never see after two decades - whether you loved it or hated it. Part of me wants them to leave the ending as Season 3 - end it on a high note and close the chapter. Yes, the ending is perplexing and ends with another mystery, but it's a perfect ending for the series.

I think that if there is fourth Season, won,t be announced until Lynch and Frost finish of write the script, not by game of thrones.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote:Frost's books gave me WAY more Peaks than I ever thought I'd get less than four years ago, and gave me more answers than I ever thought I'd get, while leaving more tantalizing questions about the world of Peaks to continue to ponder and theorize about.

If Lynch and Frost ever wanted to write another script, I wonder how often Lynch would float an idea and Frost would say "Uh, well, in one of my books I actually said that...", and proceed to provide some example that conflicts with Lynch's new idea. I suspect that if it was a minor idea Lynch might say "Oh, never mind, it doesn't matter", but if it was some "big fish" idea, Lynch would not hesitate to steamroll Frost's published precedent. That's probably the way it should be. I don't think the books should hamstring the creative process of writing a script. After all, Frost didn't let seasons 1 & 2 hamstring his book writing, and for that matter the pair of them were perfectly happy to retcon some things for season 3, particularly the Blue Rose stuff.

That said, I have no reason to believe that a script is being written, though it's possible.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Jasper wrote: If Lynch and Frost ever wanted to write another script, I wonder how often Lynch would float an idea and Frost would say "Uh, well, in one of my books I actually said that...", and proceed to provide some example that conflicts with Lynch's new idea. I suspect that if it was a minor idea Lynch might say "Oh, never mind, it doesn't matter", but if it was some "big fish" idea, Lynch would not hesitate to steamroll Frost's published precedent. That's probably the way it should be. I don't think the books should hamstring the creative process of writing a script. After all, Frost didn't let seasons 1 & 2 hamstring his book writing, and for that matter the pair of them were perfectly happy to retcon some things for season 3, particularly the Blue Rose stuff.

That said, I have no reason to believe that a script is being written, though it's possible.
I enjoyed the recent Frost books, but I wouldn't want them to tie Frost & Lynch's hands creatively. Secret History seemingly contradicts itself, what with Dr. Jacoby's brother's strange timeline (and a few other things). The whole thing feels like the product of an unreliable narrator, so if something contradicted it in Season 4, it wouldn't phase me too much.

Secret History is canon for me, except for where it contradicts the show/FWWM. I think Final Dossier does have a greater veneer of objectivity than Secret History, but I admittedly did feel a little let down by it's depiction of the world post S3. Just a couple of pages about BOB and Judy being some ancient demons, and in the new timeline everything is the same, except Leland committed suicide a year after Laura vanished. I really feel like the events of ep. 17/18 warranted more than that -- hopefully Frost was saving the really cool stuff for a new season.
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

If Lynch and Frost want, there is very good stories tell. It,s unknown if Lynch and Frost are writing or not a script. But always is hope. At least i wait have news about the future of the series to end of this year.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

zeronumber wrote:Audrey ~ Coop reunion???

Oh that would go well....

Have you met your half~son, Richard?

Deadbeat dad issues aside, that would be a fanastic scenario.

Poor Audrey....all i can ever say....
That Arc is the most desperately incomplete...of all.
But would Audrey even know that Cooper was Richard's father? She was in a coma when the assault happened, and she had sex just days before with John Wheeler. If I were her I'd assume the father was him.

But if she DOES know, then yes, it sure would make for a volatile reunion. Would she believe that it wasn't really him? I'd love to know.