Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by bosguy1981 »

Jonah wrote:
I didn't see that clip myself (is it available online? I have the blu-ray but so far haven't gotten around to wading through all that footage as there seems to be hours of it - i'd like to watch highlights from it/the best bits only), but I'm worried this may be the case here.
This one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LvqESsRlM
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

bosguy1981 wrote:
Jonah wrote:
I didn't see that clip myself (is it available online? I have the blu-ray but so far haven't gotten around to wading through all that footage as there seems to be hours of it - i'd like to watch highlights from it/the best bits only), but I'm worried this may be the case here.
This one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LvqESsRlM
Thanks!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

He was blowing off steam. How many times a week do you or a coworker or a friend get frustrated at work and say something along the lines of, “I’m quitting if this keeps up”? Back on Lost Highway he was yelling at Deepak Nayar because there were so many people on set, and saying how they did Eraserhead with five people and how much better it was working that way. Sure, he’d work differently in a perfect world, but he understands the realities. A random tirade during a moment of stress isn’t generally something to read too much into. Lynch says in Room to Dream that the final agreed-upon budget was exactly what he and Sabrina asked for: https://www.vulture.com/2018/06/david-l ... wtime.html
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I agree he was only blowing off steam and I don't think his moments of anger that people talk about in these videos are that big of a deal. They seem pretty mild to me by comparison to people I've encountered at work in real life. But I do think Lynch is reluctant to work under limitations. As I said, there has to be some reason he stayed away for so long after Inland Empire. Yeah, some of it could be down to not getting funding. Some of it down to struggling to come up with a good concept, etc. But I think a lot of the time he likes to just stay in his own house, work on his art, and not have to deal with people (and who can blame him?), let alone a load of restrictions from a studio or network, especially the older he gets. So that's the only reason I'd be concerned about regarding the future of TP. I think Showtime probably wants more. (But then again, who knows for sure?)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

A small recap: On June 21, 2018, Kristine McKenna (co-author of Room To Dream) interviewed Lynch and asked him
Where is Carrie Page right now? David Lynch: No idea. KM: Is she waiting for you to get back to her? DL: I say, it’s calling… but the signal has a lot of disturbances.
Now, what did he mean about "the signal has a lot of disturbances"? The way I see it, it may be one of three things;
1. he's waiting for the right idea to bring the story further, but he's struggling to "catch the big fish"
2. he and Mark are not getting along over the future of Twin Peaks
3. the negotiations with Showtime are not going on very well

Personally I vote for (and hope for) #3. This means the negotiations may have been going on for quite a while, and by now they have overcome their differences and are laying down the final touch, and someone has been whispering (hence the HHM-tweet).
Nevertheless, the choice of the word "disturbances" must've meant something, eh?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

bob_wooler wrote:A small recap: On June 21, 2018, Kristine McKenna (co-author of Room To Dream) interviewed Lynch and asked him
Where is Carrie Page right now? David Lynch: No idea. KM: Is she waiting for you to get back to her? DL: I say, it’s calling… but the signal has a lot of disturbances.
Now, what did he mean about "the signal has a lot of disturbances"? The way I see it, it may be one of three things;
1. he's waiting for the right idea to bring the story further, but he's struggling to "catch the big fish"
2. he and Mark are not getting along over the future of Twin Peaks
3. the negotiations with Showtime are not going on very well

Personally I vote for (and hope for) #3. This means the negotiations may have been going on for quite a while, and by now they have overcome their differences and are laying down the final touch, and someone has been whispering (hence the HHM-tweet).
Nevertheless, the choice of the word "disturbances" must've meant something, eh?
It’s definitely #1. Tuning a radio is another metaphor he uses for his idea-catching process. “Disturbances” as in interference with a transmission. The ideas coming through aren’t clearly defined.

This is still the quote that gives me the most hope for more eventually. If Lynch felt the story was definitively complete, he simply would have said TP is dead (as he has in the past before TR).
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It’s definitely #1. Tuning a radio is another metaphor he uses for his idea-catching process. “Disturbances” as in interference with a transmission. The ideas coming through aren’t clearly defined.

This is still the quote that gives me the most hope for more eventually. If Lynch felt the story was definitively complete, he simply would have said TP is dead (as he has in the past before TR).
If it's #1 then we definitely won't get anything new Twin Peaks any time soon, at least not before 2021. But yeah, it also means he's open for and wishing for more, and that the s3 experience didn't scare him off.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

It is about ideas. If they have a story for S4, they will go for it and some studio will support it financially, no doubt. So what is it? I think DKL once mentioned, well before S3 showed up on radar, that he had again fallen in love with the town and its inhabitants. It was an emotional attachment to this imaginary world that was felt there again. Without it everything remained cold and distant. Money, age, whatever is not a factor here, it is the emotional attachment to that imaginary world. Should they connect to it again emotionally, something will come out. Short of that, it is all over. The fact that Kyle and other folks would like to do more is awesome, but there has to be an idea or two to get the ball rolling, so to speak, and the "disturbance" has to refer to that part of it.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

bob_wooler wrote:Personally I vote for (and hope for) #3.
Isn't option 2 much more preferable? If Showtime is not willing to hand him the money (or the creative control), it is quite hopeless.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Rhodes wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:Personally I vote for (and hope for) #3.
Isn't option 2 much more preferable? If Showtime is not willing to hand him the money (or the creative control), it is quite hopeless.
This quote is 14 months old. If that was the situation back then, a lot (positive) could've happened after (as I explained in the same post!). Besides, at least it would've meant there were negotiations going on, which would've been a lot better than nothing.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

A lot can have happened within 14 months.... that logic applies to all three options.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

What is the most recent quote from Lynch? Wasn't there one that said "there is an ending"? And also one where he said "I can't talk about it now" (that might be older though)? Anything else, anything recent regarding S4?
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

By the way, watching The Return is even more wonderful when you no longer feel the pressure of longing for Real Cooper to return/awaken. When you know that the show is about Dougie for most of it and accept the show for what it is, you are in awe for its clever design and the overall approach and ideas. Moreover, there are so, so, so many wonderful scenes in S3. It is incredible.

I have some criticism, but the Return is really 9.5/10 for me. That's why supervising a small set of trusted directors directing S4 feels like such a horror scenario for me. Fortunately, I am convinced this will not happen.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I still prefer the original series personally, but I agree that The Return is much better on rewatch, having just rewatched it recently. Now that expectations and longing for it to recreate/continue on from all aspects of the old series are out of the way, it's much easier to enjoy it for what it is. Also, binging it rather than waiting week to week is much better, and you can just ignore the stuff you don't like and focus on what you do. So would recommend anyone who didn't like it or didn't think much of it to try rewatching it. I still have some gripes, but overall I liked it a lot more and was glad I rewatched it.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Jonah wrote:Will there be another season? is what he was asked. “I don’t think very likely, but never say never" was his answer. Why not just say "I hope so" or "we'll see" or "I don't know yet" .
What do you think the reaction would be here/twitter/etc if he said "We'll see"?