Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jasper »

Very interesting to hear from Mark Frost on this subject. Until now, all I'd heard from Frost about this were his statements from three years ago when the project was announced. At that time he said that they hadn't ruled out more after this.

As N. Needleman mentioned, Lynch has repeatedly expressed an openness to the idea of a continuing story. This doesn't mean Lynch would definitely do it, but it does mean that he is open to considering it, and has on multiple occasions said that a continuation was dependent on how season three (or whatever we're going to call it) went in the world. (“We’ll see how it goes in the world. That’s what we’ve got to see.”) Then, after it had aired in its entirety, he judged that it had, in fact, gone well in the world. ("It feels really good. It went really good in the world.")

Citations here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3805&p=111248#p111248

I liked krishnanspace's idea posted in another thread, that being something called "Odessa: A Twin Peaks Story". Part 18 is quite fascinating.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

One thing that is clear: if the decision has been made to move forward with writing another season, Lynch, Frost, Showtime and whomever else may need to be involved in that process will not publicly give any indication this is happening until the series is officially green lit. (Although according to the timeline that's been given out, the original announcement about Season 3 happened after the first two hours were written but before the writing on the rest of the series was completed).

That all parties have seemingly expressed a willingness to continue seems to live a pretty good possibility that they are at least talking about where they'd go with it.
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

what would they call it now that the home release has been changed to "a limited event series"?
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

It,s true David Lynch has said in his european tour there won,t be a Fourth season of Twin Peaks?? Digitalspy is saying. It would be a very very bad new
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Here's what he said when asked about Season 4, per Variey
The director would not reveal details about prospects for the series’ fourth season, saying, for now, “There’s nothing to talk about.”
So it doesn't sound like anything has changed.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Harry S. Truman wrote:It,s true David Lynch has said in his european tour there won,t be a Fourth season of Twin Peaks??
No. He and Frost just keep saying it's too early to say.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:It,s true David Lynch has said in his european tour there won,t be a Fourth season of Twin Peaks??
So I reckon that after about a year and a half of "It's too early to say." we can be fairly confident that they're deep into the writing process. I know that's a long time, but I'm playing it safe here, and to say that these two don't approach Twin Peaks with any special sense of urgency would be quite the understatement.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

N. Needleman wrote:
Ok. Thanks for the clarification!! 8)
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Lots of clickbait headlines are being generated from very scant information. The situation actually seems really clear to me- most involved are seriously tempted, but everyone is knackered from the massive effort involved in Season 3.

I remain firmly in the camp that wants a Season 4, but am expecting that it would completely frustrate me by have a completely ambiguous ending, and I'd be back to square one (which seems as close to a final statement as either Lynch or Frost want to make).
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

David Lynch on Another 'Twin Peaks' Return: "I've Learned Never Say Never"
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien- ... ew-1053029
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Panapaok wrote:David Lynch on Another 'Twin Peaks' Return: "I've Learned Never Say Never"
Not his most forthcoming or enlightening interview. :lol:
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Panapaok wrote:David Lynch on Another 'Twin Peaks' Return: "I've Learned Never Say Never"
Not his most forthcoming or enlightening interview. :lol:
To be fair, later in the interview he gave us more insight into his feelings than that boilerplate Lynch/Frost response, at least in terms of working more with "continuing stories" on television:

Going back to the feelings you're having about TV, have you started thinking in terms of long-form storytelling more often in your mind?

Yeah, it's thrilling to me. Continuing story. It's absolutely thrilling.

And do you think that TV is generally ready for the kind of stories you want to tell, or was Showtime a special case?

No, I think they're generally ready. And I think it's what's happening. All these things go in waves. But right now, it's a very friendly environment for a continuing story.

Does that make you want to dive in aggressively? Does it make you want to go, I want to catch this wave while it's still cresting?

In some ways, yes. (Pauses.)

And in other ways?

No. (Laughs.)

My read is that he'd love to do it, but his time is finite and there are a whole lot of things he'd like to do, like spend time with his family, travel, make music, do painting and printmaking and photography (etc.), go on meditation retreats, and any number of other things.

Making something like he just made is a massive time/energy commitment. Even if you love it, you're still putting other things to the side, because it's something that requires the bulk of your attention, and it comes with more stress and deadlines than the other endeavors.

It seems like it could go either way, but I think that there's at least a decent chance that Lynch will decide that he wants to go ahead and make more Peaks.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote:My read is that he'd love to do it, but his time is finite and there are a whole lot of things he'd like to do, like spend time with his family, travel, make music, do painting and printmaking and photography (etc.), go on meditation retreats, and any number of other things.
Ha, you’re reading a lot between the lines of a very terse exchange. (That “No” was one of my favorite parts of the interview — I took it as a classic bit of Lynchian absurd comedy combined with his characreristic evasiveness.) I do agree with you 100% about his likely mindset, though, and something about the miraculous nature of the new season’s existence actually makes me think it’s SLIGHTLY more likely than not that we'll get more.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jasper wrote:My read is that he'd love to do it, but his time is finite and there are a whole lot of things he'd like to do, like spend time with his family, travel, make music, do painting and printmaking and photography (etc.), go on meditation retreats, and any number of other things.
Ha, you’re reading a lot between the lines of a very terse exchange. (That “No” was one of my favorite parts of the interview — I took it as a classic bit of Lynchian absurd comedy combined with his characreristic evasiveness.) I do agree with you 100% about his likely mindset, though, and something about the miraculous nature of the new season’s existence actually makes me think it’s SLIGHTLY more likely than not that we'll get more.
Well, I'm really adding this interview on top of all of the previous statements that I've seen from Lynch and Frost (which I've been casually cataloging), as well as tapping into my general understanding of what Lynch is like and what he likes to do.

I don't know what to say about my thoughts on the probability of more Twin Peaks. I'd just say that the chances are decent, but I don't know what decent means in terms of percentages. My feeling is that it's not unreasonable to think that it could happen. There's a real possibility.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

To expand on what I was saying in that last post, I remember Lynch talking about working on an ongoing television series back before they'd announced Twin Peaks Season Three The Return A Limited Event Series. :lol:

He was looking back on season two, and explaining how he'd come to understand that one must dedicate oneself 100% to any sort of ongoing series, and that this was a rather difficult commitment. Looking at the way Lynch approached season three, co-writing and directing the entire thing, it's very apparent that he wasn't kidding about the 100% devotion.

He probably feels a bit more comfortable with an open-ended series that doesn't come with any deadline for each subsequent installment, or even any firm expectation that there will be another installment following the last one.