Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I think with all of this boundlessly optimistic tea leaf reading, we’re destined to end up with a board full of profoundly disappointed fans. ;)
I love The Return, but I'm so hesitant about all this. I can't deny I would be open to, and excited for, a potential season 4. But I can't help thinking that a further continuation could leave all the really poignant themes of finality and loss in season 3 a little less potent. In my opinion the story's ended perfectly. It's so thematically sound and resonant. I know deep down that I really don't want any more.

I was proved wrong worrying that the Laura Palmer story (as we knew it at the time) had no mileage left, so I could be proved wrong again. I hope so.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think with all of this boundlessly optimistic tea leaf reading, we’re destined to end up with a board full of profoundly disappointed fans. ;)
I Agree with you! At the beginning, i hadn,t understand good your message, but now yes.
Last edited by Harry S. Truman on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think with all of this boundlessly optimistic tea leaf reading, we’re destined to end up with a board full of profoundly disappointed fans. ;)
I would love to see another season, but if there's nothing more, I'm just happy we got Season 3.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

We got the show back against all odds after 25+ years of David Lynch saying it was dead as a doornail, it was a major critical success and now he's not saying boo one way or another about more. Define 'boundlessly optimistic'.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I’m just seeing a lot of speculation based on absolutely no evidence. For instance, as AgentEcho pointed out, people are reading a lot into the fact that actors are still doing appearances for the show, which doesn’t really mean much at all.

But don’t mind me, I’ve found myself well served in life by low expectations, and because of that I can be a Debbie downer sometimes. I think we have at least a 50% shot of seeing more TP before all is said and done. I just personally don’t see any reason to believe it’s imminently forthcoming.

That being said, there also isn't much evidence that it ISN’T imminently forthcoming, aside from denials which are pretty meaningless.

Time will tell, and I’d be thrilled to be proven wrong. You all have your fun. Sorry to intrude. :D
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

Trudy Chelgren wrote: I love The Return, but I'm so hesitant about all this. I can't deny I would be open to, and excited for, a potential season 4. But I can't help thinking that a further continuation could leave all the really poignant themes of finality and loss in season 3 a little less potent. In my opinion the story's ended perfectly. It's so thematically sound and resonant. I know deep down that I really don't want any more.
The Season 2 finale, FWWM, and Part 18 of the Return are all perfect endings to the saga in their own ways. I have no doubt that, if Lynch and Frost choose to continue their story, they'll find a way to make it work and not have it feel tacked-on.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Lynch told an actor who didn't have much screen time to not worry, he'll have more next season. So, unless he was simply placating him, it's nice to know it's at least or was on his radar.

The gang seems keen but I have to wonder if Showtime is willing to throw as much money into the pot this time around. I think anything could happen and Lynch has the ultimate freedom. If an agreement can't be made then at least Lynch/Frost got on full season under their belt done the way they wanted it done.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Jerry Horne wrote:Lynch told an actor who didn't have much screen time to not worry, he'll have more next season. So, unless he was simply placating him, it's nice to know it's at least or was on his radar.

The gang seems keen but I have to wonder if Showtime is willing to throw as much money into the pot this time around. I think anything could happen and Lynch has the ultimate freedom. If an agreement can't be made then at least Lynch/Frost got on full season under their belt done the way they wanted it done.
I don,t understand this situation Jerry!

Let,s see. you said in twitter ( TPA) the next: we,ll see again after of the annoucement, or 21 February. whatever come first. and after in this fórum, you say the next:

I,ve heard good things.

All this, do we were very hope in a annoucement of a Fourth season, y now this last message your is a lot of pessimistic. It Was a joke all you has said in this fórum and in twiter??
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Jerry Horne wrote:Lynch told an actor who didn't have much screen time to not worry, he'll have more next season.
Recently? :)

Fingers crossed it was Ray Wise. More Leland! We already know he's a he :D
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Soolsma wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Lynch told an actor who didn't have much screen time to not worry, he'll have more next season.
Recently? :)

Fingers crossed it was Ray Wise. More Leland! We already know he's a he :D
No, whilst shooting. Not Ray.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Lynch told an actor who didn't have much screen time to not worry, he'll have more next season. So, unless he was simply placating him, it's nice to know it's at least or was on his radar.

I don,t understand this situation Jerry!

Let,s see. you said in twitter ( TPA) the next: we,ll see again after of the annoucement, or 21 February. whatever come first. and after in this fórum, you say the next:

I,ve heard good things.

All this, do we were very hope in a annoucement of a Fourth season, y now this last message your is a lot of pessimistic. It Was a joke all you has said in this fórum and in twiter??
Everyone apparently wants it to happen. I have a feeling money is the only issue at this point.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

money may be an issue but there still seems to be real commitment from showtime to keep lynch happy and keep the door open for him. why else be a sponsor for the festival of disruption? networks, even pay cable ones, are pretty cynical beasts.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Any idea if the amount of production time allotted is an issue?

I remember him saying on the documentary that he didn't ever want to work with such time constraints again because there wasn't much time for exploration. Though, I guess production schedule is probably tied in to money as well.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

My very first thought when the promotion continued after S3 was that they were buying time and keeping the show fresh in people's mind (perhaps at the behest of Showtime) during the long writing process. Even Lynch warned us this would take years.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Jerry Horne wrote:My very first thought when the promotion continued after S3 was that they were buying time and keeping the show fresh in people's mind (perhaps at the behest of Showtime) during the long writing process. Even Lynch warned us this would take years.
you may be on to something. despite what some said upthread, these aren't your standard convention appearances from actors. there's lots of showtime promotion for them. the tour of australia and new zealand featuring cast members and the executive producer isn't a regular thing that happens with shows a year after they ended.